Okinawian Kempo, Shaolin Kenpo, American Kenpo

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I would like some info please. I would love to train in American Kenpo, but there are currently no schools in the area. I do have Okinawian Kempo and Shaolin Kenpo available to me. I am wondering which would be closer to American Kenpo?

Through some basic web searches I am guessing Shaolin Kenpo, but I am hoping to hear from people who have trained in each?

Thanks

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just get the best instructor regardless of style. If you ever do go on and learn AK you'll have to start over anyway.

That probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but nothing beats a good instructor.

Lamont

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agree with what Blindside said. Find the best teacher.

The technique structure that you would learn in Shaolin Kempo is likely more similar to American Kenpo. However the mechanics of the Okinawan styles may make for an easier future transition to American Kenpo.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a bias for shaolin kempo but as others have mentioned the instructor can make all the difference. Equally important is what you are looking to get out of a style. Why do you want to start a martial art and what are you looking to gain from it? these questions can help tremendously in picking a style...anbd even an instructor. Also, visit the school and pay attention to the higher belts. How they act with each other and the lower ranks, how the speak of thier style and other styles is a veryt good indicator of who thier teacher is in terms of character.

respectfully,
Marlon

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The technique structure that you would learn in Shaolin Kempo is likely more similar to American Kenpo. However the mechanics of the Okinawan styles may make for an easier future transition to American Kenpo.

I agree with this, though I'd emphasize that the three arts are dissimilar and Okinawan (i.e., Ryukyu) Kempo is essentially unrelated to the other two. Shaolin Kempo may or may not be related to American Kenpo depending on which Shaolin Kempo is meant: Shorinji Kempo is quite different, but the arts of Fred Villari and Ralph Castro bear a closer (though not necessarily admitted) relationship to American Kenpo (see here, to be taken with a grain of salt).

To me, Okinawan Kempo is an easy call here, all other things being equal. It's an excellent art. But as stated, the instructor makes a much bigger difference than the art.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me, Okinawan Kempo is an easy call here, all other things being equal. It's an excellent art. But as stated, the instructor makes a much bigger difference than the art.
Agreed. Even though my training is Shaolin Kempo.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Instructors who strive for excellence and have the knowledge needed to do so will make the difference.

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Asking around I am not too impressed with what I have heard of the Okinawian Kempo instructor. The Shaolin Kenpo instructor is of the Castro lineage.

Thanks

LocknBlock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well about the Castro lineage, one might have to do more research,cause they were more known for their 'katas' then their fighting. a friend from Hawaii recommended a man named Bill Chun Jr. who actually trained with Prof. Chow and finished his training, you see he lived at his house to train on a continuous basis( at night with no lights) this developes one's sensitivity where you feel the attack rather then see it, when you see him teach you know that it is more combat oriented then what is seen at most 'tournaments'. My friend had a long conversation with him at a recent 'Kajukenbo' luau in California and his cousin's step-dad is Bobby Lowe. I am from Hawaii born in the 50's, grew up in the 60's, so guys like my friend, Bill Chun Jr. and myself grew up seeing the real deal, heck I took Judo at Palama Settlement, heck there were real escrima matches in Hawaii where the loser went home hurt, their were real underground kumite like 'Bloodsport' or like human 'cockfights', rural Hawaii in the 50's and 60's was little bit like Philippines is now a mixture of the old and the new. Make sure before you start training that you actually check out the instructor's lineage because many are in it for the money and the glory but are not really that good. So check out everything you can before you train !! Remember your gi or belt will not do the fighting it will be you that will be fighting if you ever get in a situation where you have to truly defend yourself, so get as much of the realistic training as possible. Aloha

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good advice. But the big problem with that is, Bill Chun Jr. lives in No. Calif, and phlaw lives in Fargo, No. Dakota. There's probably not a lot of old time Hawaiian stylists in Fargo.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is Okinawan Kenpo another name for Shorin Ryu? I thought I read that somwhere. Or is it a different style altogether from it?

Just about any Okinawan karate style can be called "Kempo". To the Okinawan's, "Kempo" just meant the systems roots came from China. Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Shorei Ryu, have all been referred to as "Kempo" in the past.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it says, Shaolin KeMpo, be very very careful. Most of it isn't worth training in IMO. I understand that there are exceptions to this, but you need to really check them out and watch the prices.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The school I use to train at in 2003 has grown but separated into 2 classes. Monday I'm wearing my gi, and I'm going to learn Ryukyu Kempo. And I will also learn Arnis with it. I watched a class last night, and love it. Very practical, and very painful with the pressure points. I love the philosophy behind the art as well. I look up and research everything but in my New Years resolution to be more active, and get back into martial arts, and stick with it. I'm going with Ryukyu Kempo. Except I get a week to decide if its what I want, and if their class wants me. So I'm going to be a sponge, and pay attention to class, and hope they add me as another addition.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
As many others have said go with the school that has the best instructor. The system isn't nearly as important as having a good teacher.

Visit the schools and ask questions. If you can observe a few classes, focus on the intermediate to advanced students. Watch how they move and perform. The beginners in a class are usually a mixed bag, but the people that have been with a teacher for a while will show you a lot about that instructor. See if their stances are solid, how smooth their footwork is, if they generate good power behind their punches and kicks, and if you get the chance, how well they spar.

Don't concern yourself too much about how the teacher moves. You aren't hiring a bodyguard or stuntman. Look at the students he has trained for awhile and you'll see the fruits of his teaching ability.

Observe also the atmosphere of the school and see if it is a place that you would be comfortable training. The best school and teacher in the world won't do anything for you if it isn't a place that you want to go. I make a list of things I look for before I go and evaluate the school to see how closely it matches what I am looking for. I like a relaxed atmosphere, no contracts, medium to heavy contact in sparring(headgear though, I've had a skull fracture so I am more carefull about contact than when I was younger), a good conditioning element during the class sessions, limited amounts of transplanted Japanese/Chinese culture, and clean facilities.

However your list forms up, make sure that the school you choose matches as closely as possible to it.

If you keep the above in mind you will find a school that fits you and that you will have a good experience with irrespective of the system.

Hope this helps a bit,
Mark

Last edited:

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WHAT is the difference between Kenpo(Kempo) Jujitsu AND Kenpo Karate. As far as I can see its just a "Label" to entice students. Kenpo is Kenpo so why does it need the extra addition. You wouldn't find Karate Karate or Karate Jujitsu, or even, Jujitsu Jujitsu or Jujitsu Karate so why the need

Please don't mention "Legal reasons yadda yadda yadda", because how can you copyright anything that has exisited centuries prior to today etc.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
WHAT is the difference between Kenpo(Kempo) Jujitsu AND Kenpo Karate. As far as I can see its just a "Label" to entice students. Kenpo is Kenpo so why does it need the extra addition. You wouldn't find Karate Karate or Karate Jujitsu, or even, Jujitsu Jujitsu or Jujitsu Karate so why the need

Please don't mention "Legal reasons yadda yadda yadda", because how can you copyright anything that has exisited centuries prior to today etc.

James Mitose named his style of Kenpo; Kenpo Jujutsu. His student William Chow called his style of Kenpo; Kenpo Karate. As years went on and more people tended to follow Chow over Mitose, who was in Prison for conspiracy to Murder; and the use of the name Kenpo Karate became more of the norm.

Virtually they are the same. The head of each Kenpo fraction determine wether to use "karate", "jujutsu" or what ever else they can think of.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Because in general, nobody knows what the heck "Kenpo" is, and that is just a bad marketing idea.

Latest Discussions