Amanda Knox

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, it looks like she was acquitted of the murder charge. Don't know whether she did it or not, but this will put the saga behind us. Been a big deal here in Seattle.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big deal here too, a girl was murdered. As the murdered girl's family said, Amanda Knox had a PR company working for her, she pulled out all the stops despite the 23 pages of evidence against her she's got away with it.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tez, that's really interesting. I get the impression from your post that the presumption in the UK is that she's guilty. Here, it's completely the opposite.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez, that's really interesting. I get the impression from your post that the presumption in the UK is that she's guilty. Here, it's completely the opposite.

I wouldn't say that. I have no idea whether Knox is guilty or innocent. I don't know anyone personally who has offered an opinion one way or another either. People seem (to me) to either not know or not care.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I suspect that the American viewing public weren't shown everything at the original trial, we got it step by step leading to people believing she is indeed guilty. There was also the fact that she confessed.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. I have no idea whether Knox is guilty or innocent. I don't know anyone personally who has offered an opinion one way or another either. People seem (to me) to either not know or not care.
In the Seattle area, she's big news. While I haven't paid much attention, it's been all over the media around here.

Tez, I don't know about that. There has been a ton of information flowing around about the trial, and there is plenty of information online for those interested enough to look for it. And here in the Seattle area, I can assure you many are.

I'm not saying that you're wrong or right. Just that I find it interesting that you kind of presume she's guilty, where I've not run into that here. Most people around here are sympathetic, and the parents have been regulars on the local talk radio shows.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Seattle area, she's big news. While I haven't paid much attention, it's been all over the media around here.

Tez, I don't know about that. There has been a ton of information flowing around about the trial, and there is plenty of information online for those interested enough to look for it. And here in the Seattle area, I can assure you many are.

I'm not saying that you're wrong or right. Just that I find it interesting that you kind of presume she's guilty, where I've not run into that here. Most people around here are sympathetic, and the parents have been regulars on the local talk radio shows.

It's not a presumption, she said she did it. The feeling here is for the family of the murdered girl.

Now whether or not she really did it she and her family have not said a word about the murdered girl, no sympathy, no thought, nothing. If she's innocent I can understand that being freed is the important thing for here but when she says she wants her life back she could bear in mind the dead girl..her friend and room mate after all, is dead. Knox has been booed and jeered by the Italians and called murderer as she left the court. She is still guilty of the other charges, they've upheld those.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15152871

However this isn't the end, the prosecutors are going to appeal against this.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
she confessed.

Didn't know that...but then I am in Bill's camp on this one

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suspect that the American viewing public weren't shown everything at the original trial, we got it step by step leading to people believing she is indeed guilty. There was also the fact that she confessed.

I think you are correct in that the media coverage can influence perceptions of what happened. For example, the media headlines talked about the "Knox confession" and their stories refer to the "Knox confession", but anyone paying any sort of attention to anything more than the headlines will find that the so-called "confession" was only to being in the house at the time of the murder. Reading statements like "There was also the fact that she confessed," could lead people to think she actually confessed to the murder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Knox-Guilty-or-innocent-five-reasons-why.html

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are correct in that the media coverage can influence perceptions of what happened. For example, the media headlines talked about the "Knox confession" and their stories refer to the "Knox confession", but anyone paying any sort of attention to anything more than the headlines will find that the so-called "confession" was only to being in the house at the time of the murder. Reading statements like "There was also the fact that she confessed," could lead people to think she actually confessed to the murder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Knox-Guilty-or-innocent-five-reasons-why.html

No she confessed to the murder then said she confessed because police hit her.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1570226/Amanda-Knox-says-her-confession-was-flawed.html

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The linked article didn't have much to it other than a flatmate's quote and a suggestion that she confessed to some involvement after 10 hours of rough interrogation. The article does have a link to a transcript to a second statement she made, but not the audio or transcript of the confession.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I saw that she was found guilty of what seems to amount to slander.

Tez, so, if I understand right, the prosecution can appeal the acquittal? That's interesting. I didn't know that.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that she was found guilty of what seems to amount to slander.

Tez, so, if I understand right, the prosecution can appeal the acquittal? That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I don't think this is over yet.

Reading various comments left by people on news sites, the general feeling here is that she got off with it because her family is rich and American. Someone pointed out that the other person who pleaded guilty to the murder had nothing to gain by implicating her, he didn't get a lesser sentence or any remission. The fact that the media is carrying stories that Knox has written a book about the case, has Hollywood lining up to make a film and she's set to become a celebrity has lessened any sympathy people may have for her. In Italy she was booed, jeered and called murderer as she left the court. I have to say she comes across here as being cold and hard.

It wasn't exactly slander, it was making a false accusation, a criminal offence it seems rather than slander which is a civil one. She was given a three year sentence for that but it was considered she'd served time for that. However if she lied about that how do we know she is actually telling the truth about anything?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My impressions from the media coverage of this sordid and terrible trial is that Ms Knox is either suffering from some mental problems that could be treated if she so chose, has done too many drugs or is one seriously sociopathic individual who seeks her pleasure in a world where only she is real. EDIT: That is actually unfair of me, even tho' I only have the media reports to go on, I can't really say such things with any surety of accuracy. Mind you, who does cartwheels in a police station when they're about to be arrested for murder?

If she had a face like a bag of scaffolding clips or her family wasn't wealthy I don't think we'd have heard a peep about Foxy Knoxy. Which probably says bad things about the justice systems globally but is hardly something we didn't know already.

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mentally ill? I'm not sure you can say such a thing based on what we know. Naive? Yeah. Doing things she probably shouldn't have? Absolutely. The picture painted here is of a young lady open to trying new things. She was stoned and in way over her head, but she was a scapegoat. She devil? I don't know.