Aluminum training blades

Charleston Combat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have experince making aluminum trainers? I was told by a friend, that you can't grind aluminum on a grinder. He said this could make the wheel gum up and cause it to explode! Is sanding the only way to shape aluminum? Thanks- Brad

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have experince making aluminum trainers? I was told by a friend, that you can't grind aluminum on a grinder. He said this could make the wheel gum up and cause it to explode! Is sanding the only way to shape aluminum? Thanks- Brad

I have only seen sanders, but I have a very limited exposure to those I have watched.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just finished my first aluminum sword

You're friend's right, grinding wheels gum up quickly (I don't know why they wold explode) - but there are relatively new wheels out there, that are made of sanding pads glued on top of each other, made to fit a 4.5 in angle grinder -- these work great. They also come in various grits, from 36 to 120.

You can get them at Lowes' or Home Depot.

I use them exclusively now, they also work well on High-carbon steel.

They're about 8 bucks apiece.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a local metal yard here in town -- they sell 6063 Aluminum by the pound. It's a good type for wasters.

Don't get the stuff at Lowe's, it's not high enough quality for wasters.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use a 1" belt sander, a 3" belt sander, and paddle sander depending on what I'm using it for.

I get my 6061-T6 aluminum from a local scrap yard.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a 1" belt sander, a 3" belt sander, and paddle sander depending on what I'm using it for.

I get my 6061-T6 aluminum from a local scrap yard.

Hey I like that getting your aluminum from the scrap yard!!!
icon14.gif

OP
Charleston Combat

Charleston Combat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Update!! I got it figured out!! I'm now using a home made belt grinding system! Thanks everyone for your input on this subject!! Also, I buy my T-6 Aluminum online from Metals Depot. Brad

turbo1975

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What tools do you need to make your own trainers? And any instructions on how to make and tie a handle.

Thanks

OP
Charleston Combat

Charleston Combat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Basic tools needed for training blade production, include- Bandsaw with Metal cutting blade, Drill Press, Belt Grinder or sander. For the handle- I use 650 paraline. It's like the Martial Arts, practice, practice, practice!! The more you do it, the better you get!! Brad

Latest Discussions