FMAT: Making blade trainers

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Making blade trainers
By Silence_sucks - Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:14:14 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Not to sure where to put this but general seems like a good place.

A knife maker who I have met a few times makes nice looking blade trainers out of aluminum about a centimeter thick. Where the blade would be he uses an angle grinder to create an pseudo edge that isn't sharp and drills a couple of holes on either end of the grip and wraps some nylon cord around the handle. The result is some damn nice trainers and I have bought a knife from him that was made from a tracing my Sifu did of a knife Guru Inosanto had at one of his recent seminars.

This has given me the idea of just making some trainers myself, a bolo, kris, barong, kerambit and maybe a spartan sword from 300 for the hell of it and save myself some money as compared to actually going out and buying them.

My two main issues are that I have no idea how to cut aluminum that thick and how to get the templates for the designs. I was thinking that I could probably think back to my tech drawing days and scale up some pictures off the internet by hand to the described length and width. As for cutting the aluminum people keep suggesting that I use tin snips but i doubt they would be able to cut centimeter thick aluminum into complex enough shapes. Using a jig saw has also been suggested but hell if i know if that would work.

Any suggestions on the topic would be great and even other ideas fantastic.

Regards

- James

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions