Alternate training suggestions requested

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tony

Sorry to hear about the injury, heal up and follow what the doctor says.

But alternate training.

Work on balance, slow kicks (Taiji slow), all of them, both legs.

Can do that then. Raise your leg up in front of you, slowly bring it straight down towards the ground, but do not touch the ground, and let it swing under you to a back kick (Think slow pendulum). Then bring it in an ark, horizontally back to the front (slowly). Then reverse the direction. Works balance and strength

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So .. it looks like I'm going to be out of jiu-jitsu for a couple of months. Got a finger (right hand) broken during sparring yesterday. I'm going in for surgery on Friday to have the pieces screwed back together.

I figured that I can spend some time knocking the rust off of my kicking skills. However I'm going to get bored just kicking the heavy bag for hours each week. Anyone have any fun suggestions for training exercises I can do over the next 2-3 months that involve no use of or contact to the right hand at all?

I was in a similar situation when I broke my arm. I did that from lifting weights of all things. As I was recovering and waiting for my arm to become fully functional again I would do squat kicks wearing a weight vest along with some running. You say its your right hand that's going to be out of commission for awhile. Are you right handed? If you are and you don't want to just work on kicking skills you could also work in striking with your off hand.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reporting back after 2 weeks of a switched up training routine. I've been mostly splitting my time between working on kicks (which I've been neglecting for the last couple of years) and various movement drills (the kind I might normally do just as a warm-up for a few minutes before class).

Result so far? I am sore all over. I clearly need to do this kind of exercise more consistently, because my muscles need to do some adapting. I didn't even think I was pushing myself that hard at he time, but I'm definitely feeling it now.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, injury or not, it's a good idea for all of us to switch up our routine from time to time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Honestly, injury or not, it's a good idea for all of us to switch up our routine from time to time.

BAH!!! I have no idea where you came up with that idea

Wo95cl4.jpg

:D

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well its good to hear that you're back into the training routine. I personally like to work more on kicks than on hand techniques because your legs are your foundation. Kicks also require more work to develop so that's another reason to work more on them. Hope you make a good recovery.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
18YKjsw.jpg

Before on the right, after on the left. I think the surgeon did a good job.

Got the cast off yesterday. Looks like it'll take a few weeks to get full range of motion back, but probably a few months to get full strength back so that I can safely spar or hit solid targets with that hand.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
18YKjsw.jpg

Before on the right, after on the left. I think the surgeon did a good job.

Got the cast off yesterday. Looks like it'll take a few weeks to get full range of motion back, but probably a few months to get full strength back so that I can safely spar or hit solid targets with that hand.
Wow that looks good

Latest Discussions