Aikido vs Ninjitsu

K

Koga-Shinobi

Hey you'll, I know from reading a whole lot of other threads that comparisons of martial arts is a big no-no...I understand that, but being a beginner, I need some experienced help
:D
You see, I'm looking to start a MA, and pretty much have narrowed my choices down to Aikido and Ninjitsu. Pretty starnge combination, since both almost have opposing philosophies from what I understand. Aikido being a very soft, defensive style and Ninjitsu being a hard, attacking, aggressive style.

What interests me from Aikido is the concept of using ones strength against himself (throws) and keeping opponents injury (serious) down (locks, pins, submissions)...being a fairly moral guy, I'm quite averse to leg breaking etc. plus there's the legal considerations.

However, I do enjoy being highly physical and feel that Ninjitsu would be more in my line, more stimulating...I understand that Aikido steers away from strikes...which I'd like to have in my armoury should a situation arise.

What would you recommend (with justification) for a 23 year old looking for a competitive, challenging MA for both self-defense reasons and for installing confidence in onself?

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ninjitsu is not an art I associate with being hard..... thought it was a mix of hard and soft, so will contain a lot of stuff seen in Aikido too....

Someone clarify please! :)

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninjutsu and Aikido are very similar in that they both work on blending and very soft, fluid responses.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also, from what I understand if you take the right kind of aikido it does contain strikes.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's some misunderstandings regarding Aikido and atemi-waza. There are strikes of sorts within Aikido. Atemi-waza are techniques using types of blows to the opponent. I once had a talk with a Hachidan in Aikido about this and he said, "Everything we do is atemi". You also have other striking. I don't believe there are any kicks though<?>

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPO_CORY

Also, from what I understand if you take the right kind of aikido it does contain strikes.

I agree. Even atemi is emphesized.

/Yari

OP
D

Despairbear

Originally posted by Jay Bell

You also have other striking. I don't believe there are any kicks though<?>

Depends on where you train. In my dojo we use kicks as an atemi when in you are tied up close and your hands are already in use.

Despair Bear

OP
K

Koga-Shinobi

:( From a response I got a coupla days back, I was told that Aikido, as a form of self-defense, can take for ever to master. Is this in general, or when only compared to certain other forms?
:confused:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Koga-Shinobi

Aikido, as a form of self-defense, can take for ever to master.

I would argue that to use any MA effectivily would take long time to master. But where Aikido emphesizes on the feeling of the technique, alot of other arts try and leran you fixed situaitons.

The one or the other isn't better or worse, but a different approach which depends on the type of person you are.

/Yari