age and the martial arts

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do you blend WC and Wushu together?

- WC is southern CMA.
- Wushu is nothern CMA.
Simple, pick ONLY the ones that is effective and forget the others!!

I do kick boxing and TKD, I particularly use WC punches using the baby knuckles. I am short, I need to punch up, WC punches are the BEST for that.

You seems to get stuck on what style and what style. Like the break falls, the key is don't get injured if you get thrown!!! Whatever works, use it.

I am sure there are moves in different styles that are useless, don't practice it just because you belong to that style. LEARN what works and what's not.

Also just as important, what works for you doesn't not imply at all that works for others. Everyone has to find their own way. Like lately I even try to mix in a little judo when the opponent is getting too close to punch and kick effectively and stick is useless. I also practice elbows from Muy Thai for close distance and also knees. You have to be flexible!!!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just so you know, the ranks you see listed under member’s names are just an indication of how many posts they’ve made on this forum. It’s just a fun way to indicate how active someone is on the discussion boards and has nothing to do with any rank they may have in the martial arts.

(KFW does also have a lot of decades practicing and teaching martial arts, but that doesn’t stop anyone else from arguing with him. :) )
Maybe before giving a high rank, like up to say black belt, the person has to post a video of his practice/fight or whatever they do as practice, so you get a better idea where they are at before giving the high rank. Anyone can talk a lot. One video speaks a 1000 words.

I don't deserve a 2nd deg black belt for sure. I only put in 3 years. I am not afraid to post my stick practice even though I am not good at it. I am here to learn and I learned a lot here. I don't just saying this, in school, I skipped belt test at least every other time, some times skipping two tests. If I don't feel I am up to the standard, I don't deserve it. The school never fail people, I don't believe that.

That's part of the reason I stop talking a lot here, I am not an expert, I don't want to get higher rank just because I have a loud mouth!!!

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You seems to get stuck on what style and what style. Like the break falls, the key is don't get injured if you get thrown!!! Whatever works, use it.
A: Which girl should I marry to?
B: You seems to get stuck on which girl. Like marrage, the key is to find a wife. Whoever wants to marry you, take her. :)

If you use your arms to protect your head from hitting on the ground, you won't be able to use your arm to hit on the ground for break fall. Since you can't do 2 different things at the same time, you have to choose one from the other.

Shuai Chiao break fall.
SC-break-fall-1.gif

Judo break fall.
Judo-break-fall-1.gif

You either use southern CMA WC punch with 90 degree shoulder,

wc-punch-1.gif

or you may use nothern CMA punch with 180 degree shoulder.

Baji-Fajin.gif

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe before giving a high rank, like up to say black belt, the person has to post a video of his practice/fight or whatever they do as practice, so you get a better idea where they are at before giving the high
So basically, completely change the purpose. I don't think so.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe before giving a high rank, like up to say black belt, the person has to post a video of his practice/fight or whatever they do as practice, so you get a better idea where they are at before giving the high rank. Anyone can talk a lot. One video speaks a 1000 words.

I don't deserve a 2nd deg black belt for sure. I only put in 3 years. I am not afraid to post my stick practice even though I am not good at it. I am here to learn and I learned a lot here. I don't just saying this, in school, I skipped belt test at least every other time, some times skipping two tests. If I don't feel I am up to the standard, I don't deserve it. The school never fail people, I don't believe that.

That's part of the reason I stop talking a lot here, I am not an expert, I don't want to get higher rank just because I have a loud mouth!!!
It's not an actual rank though. No one on active on here thinks it means you are a 2nd degree black belt (and when someone new comes in and does they get corrected like Tony did).

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A: Which girl should I marry to?
B: You seems to get stuck on which girl. Like marrage, the key is to find a wife. Whoever wants to marry you, take her. :)

If you use your arms to protect your head from hitting on the ground, you won't be able to use your arm to hit on the ground for break fall. Since you can't do 2 different things at the same time, you have to choose one from the other.

Shuai Chiao break fall.
SC-break-fall-1.gif

Judo break fall.
Judo-break-fall-1.gif

You either use southern CMA WC punch with 90 degree shoulder,

wc-punch-1.gif

or you may use nothern CMA punch with 180 degree shoulder.

Baji-Fajin.gif
See, the problem how you think is you can either use one or the other. This is 21st century, think about what works the best. You don't stand there and punch with square shoulder like WC, NOR do you do the exaggeration move like big step, rotating the shoulder in real fight. Common sense says you use something like WC to start, add the force by using the body and shoulder(NOT like the other one that's exaggerate the motion and slow). Something like how Bruce Lee used the WC punches. Also, the WC punch has a wrist motion that nudge the punch to add to the force that I don't see in the other one. You take what is the best and forget the part that is not useful. Look at how much the fighting scene evolved in the last 50 years starting with Bruce Lee.

As for break fall, you don't just slap the ground and leave your hand on the ground. we return our hands back to the starting position as if we never slap the ground. It is not BLACK or WHITE.

Also, we learned how to throw people in friendly sparring, we throw the person down, but we hold onto their body a little so the person has a chance to use use either the legs to break the fall like you said or use the shoulder or elbow to break the fall. We also learn in real fight, we SHOVE the person body down to produce max pain. Or at least let go of the person and let the person fall. It's NOT up to you to use your legs to break the fall as you full back is going to hit the ground first

I know this will offend you and a lot of TMA people. Look at the fighting scene today, there's a lot to learn from those. I remember I saw those tournaments back in Hong Kong in the 60s where all different styles fighting against each other. My first impression is how come they all looked the same??!! No matter Monkey style, or whatever style, they didn't look that different when their lives( or reputation) depends on it. I guess they know better what works and what's not. None of those fancy moves of their own style. This is way way before UFC or even Bruce Lee that advocate mixing different styles and pick out the ones that work.

Anyway, I better get off the forum, I can easily spend the whole day blocking. I cannot afford the time as I have a lot of things to do. I have been avoid coming on, this forum sent me notification and I only come in because it's about old people.

Good luck and good bye.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
How do you blend WC and Wushu together?

- WC is southern CMA.
- Wushu is nothern CMA.
Lol, just because one is southern and one northern, makes no difference. Take the performing aspect of Wushu, look at its smooth and graceful movement, now do any form of MA with that swift and graceful movement. It is like football players studying ballet to improve their foot movement, and yes some football players do take ballet lessons.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But WC is a fighting art and Wushu is a performance art.
I was under the impression that Wushu was simply a generalized name for all CMA. China has marketed Wushu in the West as a very flashy performance (action movie) style, as well as for Shaolin tourists in China. Although there are valid, traditional, Wushu associations still promoting the traditional forms of Wushu (a.k.a. TCMA). Are these statements incorrect?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Wushu was simply a generalized name for all CMA. China has marketed Wushu in the West as a very flashy performance (action movie) style, as well as for Shaolin tourists in China. Although there are valid, traditional, Wushu associations still promoting the traditional forms of Wushu (a.k.a. TCMA). Are these statements incorrect?
Guoshu 國術 = traditional CMA.
Wushu 武術 = communist China modern performance art.

The term Guoshu was used until communist took over China.

The Central Guoshu Academy (Zhongyang Guoshuguan, 中央國術館).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Once again, I miss the old “informative” rating.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sometimes not being an expert can be an advantage to others, we sometimes learn more from our mistakes or others, then we learn from something correct. Before I became an instructor, I thought I knew it all, just like any teenage kid lol, but when I started teaching, that is when I was truly learning more. I had gained much more knowledge as I was teaching, then I did as a student. I was seeing aspects of MA in a much more defined and comprehendible manner. This was from mistakes I made as a teacher and mistakes my students were making. Feel free to discuss anything, if your wrong, you have us to rag on you lol, and we may learn something from trying to correct you. If your correct about something, you may offer insight that someone is not aware of, not me of course, I know it all lol.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wushu has become so misunderstood from the performing art, here is a site that can give a detailed information on it (What Is the Martial Art of Wushu?). Keep in mind, Wushu has changed so much through the centuries, just like all other forms. For my school, I incorporate the grace, speed, and power of Wushu with Wing Chung. Yes, Wushu does have speed and power, but you cannot achieve that until you have achieved the grace.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

To expand on this a bit,

modern Wushu (the sport) is basically the modern form of Daoyin (gymnastics skills) flavored with different cultural styles. "Wu Shu" is a callback to the ancient name of the Chinese warrior arts (which includes a lot of things). Any sparring is usually choreographed. Competition is for points. You will know modern wushu by silly flingy blades, and kicks that seem to defy physics. Think Rocky IV's Russian boxing scene. The state is running the whole show.

The modern format for combat is Guoshu or Kuoshu, there are national and international tournament systems. That's where Sanda/Sanshou and Lei Tai rule sets can be found. Ironically, but not surprisingly, you'll find most of the best Kuoshu outside of mainland China today.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It always depends on who you're training with.

Alan Lee's Wu Shu Temple comes to mind. From the name you might get the wrong idea, but this place literally defined the old school.

1651858655935.png

I don't think most people who train would get modern Wushu and traditional kung fu confused unless they were being misled. I'm sure it does happen, sadly.

Latest Discussions