age and the martial arts

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just so you know, the ranks you see listed under member’s names are just an indication of how many posts they’ve made on this forum. It’s just a fun way to indicate how active someone is on the discussion boards and has nothing to do with any rank they may have in the martial arts.

(KFW does also have a lot of decades practicing and teaching martial arts, but that doesn’t stop anyone else from arguing with him. :) )
I in no way is arguing lol, I am just indicating that I try and stay away from indicating MA for fighting, even though most see it that way.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I in no way is arguing lol, I am just indicating that I try and stay away from indicating MA for fighting, even though most see it that way.
But sparring/wrestling is "fun".

When your opponent throws 20 punches toward your head. None of his punches can land on you. You will simile in your dreams for the next 3 nights. Even money cannot buy this kind of fun.

I had put ad in local gym that I would pay $20 for anybody who is willing to spar/wrestle with me for 1 hour.

I just cannot obtain this kind of fun without physical contact. When my opponent throws punches and kicks at me. I just feel exicited.

I do know that I don't belong to the main stream. I don't expect the majority people to agree with me. So to disagree with me is normal. But if you agree with me, I'll be happy to know that there is at least one person on earth who may be as crazy as I am. :)

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do not have that type of gym by me, the closes I get to that is when you get an idiot in the bar, I do not know if I have more fun dropping someone, or watching my wife dropping someone, and I am not talking dropping another female. My wife is 4-11, 110 pounds, and 58 years old, going on 59 next month.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found that when fighting is the main concern, the look more on how to gain power and strength, and not the smooth, grace, and accuracy of their strikes and blocks. They also ignore the importance of a solid stance and footwork.
Fighting and art don't have to be mutual exculsive.

I was a-go-go dance champ in college. I was also folk dance instructor for many years. My ballroom dance is about silver level. Tango is my favor.

Here is a sword dance that I created when I was young. :)

my_sword_dancing.jpg

My daughter is US and international pole dance champ. The smooth, grace, and accuracy art is plenty in my family. :)

Last edited:

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
My wife throws me all the time.

View attachment 28384

You have to treat been thrown on the ground as body massage to be able to appreciate the throwing art.

Janet-throw-John-1.gif
Oh no, my wife does not throw them down, she strikes them down, that's the funniest part, this small old woman striking down a average size man that tried grabbing her. I love when I see a man put his hand on her or grabbing her, and I just smile and say that was a big mistake lol. When he finds out that he just tried grabbing a Shifu that is old enough to be his mother, that is something to laugh at for eternity lol.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no, my wife does not throw them down, she strikes them down, that's the funniest part, this small old woman striking down a average size man that tried grabbing her. I love when I see a man put his hand on her or grabbing her, and I just smile and say that was a big mistake lol. When he finds out that he just tried grabbing a Shifu that is old enough to be his mother, that is something to laugh at for eternity lol.
Is this a common occurrence for you two?

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't say its common, or at least not common enough lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really like your post, I like how you point out factors of age that the average person does not see or recognizes. I am 57, and I am finding it harder to teach the younger generation compared to when I was young lol. They recognize my stature, but they keep contradicting me because of what they read or saw on Youtube, they see things more in the technical manner then the broad perspective. I am glad to see a student researching and not just take my word for it, but at least try the move or exercise out before contradicting. I tried suggesting to a man on another forum about using weights on his wrists and legs to build up strength in all directions, and not restrict his strength in a few directions. This turned out to be a very long discussion with another person, giving link's to various articles which to him stated opposite of what I was saying, which it was not lol. Do you have problems with the younger generation?

Should have just said triple g does it.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really like your post, I like how you point out factors of age that the average person does not see or recognizes. I am 57, and I am finding it harder to teach the younger generation compared to when I was young lol. They recognize my stature, but they keep contradicting me because of what they read or saw on Youtube, they see things more in the technical manner then the broad perspective. I am glad to see a student researching and not just take my word for it, but at least try the move or exercise out before contradicting. I tried suggesting to a man on another forum about using weights on his wrists and legs to build up strength in all directions, and not restrict his strength in a few directions. This turned out to be a very long discussion with another person, giving link's to various articles which to him stated opposite of what I was saying, which it was not lol. Do you have problems with the younger generation?
Thanks. I like your idea about the weights.

I haven't interacted with younger martial artists, given that only old Chinese people (and TCM students) seem to share interest in what I do (e.g. yiquan, qigong). We're soooo mild. I do remember one aggressive young guy a few years back in a push-hands class, but he got booted from the class eventually. I think he was angry with his father or something.

But I do have experience teaching graphics in college, and I see a tendency towards a reliance on remote information over direct experience. They want to buy the thing, take the course, watch the video, instead of getting dirty and actually trying the thing. Not everyone, but I see a trend. Also as an amateur musician, I see a lot of online questions basically asking for the step-by-step process of learning jazz improvisation. Dudes. Internalize the scales, internalize the theory, listen to good players, but you also have to just dive in and give yourself permission to screw up. Experience the act directly. So yes, why don't they try the move?

Also, westerners have been taught to drill down, to take things apart, rather than unify and see the bigger picture. Both are necessary micro and macro, forest and trees.

But yeah, we accept the authority of a YouTube video when the bar for authority is now a mouth, a camera, and a YouTube account. (sigh) Direct experience is necessary more than ever.

You might find this interesting: the author says that we have been using our left brains more than our right, and it has gotten us into trouble by focusing on the details, not the bigger picture. On theory and abstract constructs rather than direct experience.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try and stay away from indicating MA for fighting, even though most see it that way.
My long fist teacher always said it's wrong

1. to start a fight without a good reason.
2. not to start a fight if there is a good reason.

Many MA teachers may address 1. I respect him to address 2.

One day I saw a guy tried to grab a gril and forced her into his car. The girl was screaming. People on the street just looked. Nobody offered any help. I got the guy into a head lock. The guy let go the girl. The girl ran away. I let go the guy. The guy ran away. Nobody got hurt. Everybody lived happily ever after.

Nobody like to get into a fight. Sometime you (general YOU) just have to do something even if there may be some risk involved. Because if you don't, you may dis-respect yourself for the rest of your life. That's not good.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the way someone looks is more of their attitude and lifestyle. When I was a teen-ager, many many years ago, I looked like a young adult in his 20's, now, I am 57, and I am told I look in my 40's. Of course, this is from people that know I am a Shifu, so maybe they are being polite because they know I can drop them in a second lol. As a Shifu, I have to be wise and stern, but in life I try to be fun and loving, and I make a lot of jokes, many times dirty jokes, it is nice what an old man can get away with lol.
Why do you “have to be wise and stern” when teaching. I’ve learned to just be me. Students laugh and learn.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My wife throws me all the time.

View attachment 28384

You have to treat been thrown on the ground as body massage to be able to appreciate the throwing art.

Janet-throw-John-1.gif
That's judo!!! I learned that long long time ago!!! It is so important to know how to fall. I still practice lying on the ground, bounce on one of my foot to bounce the body up a few inches and drop down and use the hands to break the fall like judo. I want to make my body getting use to falling and strengthen my bones and hopefully I won't break any bones if I really fall. I wish I have someone to really throw me down to really toughen up my body.

I practicing stick fight on the heavy bag, I practice to get close, drop the stick, throw a few elbows and knees, then do the judo hip throw using the heavy bag. Too bad I don't have a training partner.

Your daughter is amazing in the video.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's judo!!!
That's Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling). You can see the break fall is different from the Judo break fall. In SC break fall, you use arm to protect your head instead to hit on the ground to cancel the force.

Janet-throw-John-1.gif

In Judo, you use your hands to break the fall. In SC, you use your legs to break the fall.

bounce-back-up.gif

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling). You can see the break fall is different from the Judo break fall. In SC break fall, you use arm to protect your head instead to hit on the ground to cancel the force.

Janet-throw-John-1.gif

In Judo, you use your hands to break the fall. In SC, you use your legs to break the fall.

bounce-back-up.gif
Just fine details, idea is the same. Not just breaking the fall, the throw looks the same particular the top one. Can't see the bottom one as it started in the middle of the throwing.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why do you “have to be wise and stern” when teaching. I’ve learned to just be me. Students laugh and learn.
Everyone has their own teaching style and personality, which may be somewhat different from each other. If the instructor is not comfortable with himself when teaching, the students will not be comfortable. So, whatever way he teaches, the important thing is for it to be natural and as you say, be yourself. Most of us have different sides to our personality. Part of teaching skill (or in any people management position) is what side to show in a given situation.

I tend to adopt a mild "wise (well, at least knowledgeable) and stern" (but kindly) style with lower belts to establish not only respectful discipline, but to emphasize that this is a martial art, potentially dangerous (especially if one is doing iai with live blades where being too casual can result in a LOT of blood). Beginners must learn to stay on task, keep their awareness up and focus. But I dislike the drill sergeant mentality which in some cases is a cover-up for the teacher's lack of confidence or a display of an inflated ego. If your students are afraid of you, you have no business teaching.

Now, with higher belts, it's a different story. They have already developed the physical skills, mental attitude and respect for the art. Now we can have some fun and joke around (which I really enjoy), and be confident a more relaxed teaching environment will not negatively impact training, learning or safety.

A possibly related observation - Have you noticed that black belts sparring at a tournament seem to be enjoying themselves more than lower belts who seem so serious? I think this is natural and related to the above thoughts.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
My long fist teacher always said it's wrong

1. to start a fight without a good reason.
2. not to start a fight if there is a good reason.

Many MA teachers may address 1. I respect him to address 2.

One day I saw a guy tried to grab a gril and forced her into his car. The girl was screaming. People on the street just looked. Nobody offered any help. I got the guy into a head lock. The guy let go the girl. The girl ran away. I let go the guy. The guy ran away. Nobody got hurt. Everybody lived happily ever after.

Nobody like to get into a fight. Sometime you (general YOU) just have to do something even if there may be some risk involved. Because if you don't, you may dis-respect yourself for the rest of your life. That's not good.
I agree with that completely, I do not want my students not to fight for such circumstances, I just do not want them to focus only on the fighting perspective of MA. The students tend to focus more on getting the strength, deadly or dangerous strikes, not on blocks and stance, and so-on. Those that see the more aggressive side tend to be more aggressive, and not in a good way. My wife and I will stop fights in a bar or that, but we find more joy in the practicing of the movements in a artistic manner, such as Wushu. We are mainly Wing Chun, but we blend Wushu in the movements, So-to-speak.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Everyone has their own teaching style and personality, which may be somewhat different from each other. If the instructor is not comfortable with himself when teaching, the students will not be comfortable. So, whatever way he teaches, the important thing is for it to be natural and as you say, be yourself. Most of us have different sides to our personality. Part of teaching skill (or in any people management position) is what side to show in a given situation.

I tend to adopt a mild "wise (well, at least knowledgeable) and stern" (but kindly) style with lower belts to establish not only respectful discipline, but to emphasize that this is a martial art, potentially dangerous (especially if one is doing iai with live blades where being too casual can result in a LOT of blood). Beginners must learn to stay on task, keep their awareness up and focus. But I dislike the drill sergeant mentality which in some cases is a cover-up for the teacher's lack of confidence or a display of an inflated ego. If your students are afraid of you, you have no business teaching.

Now, with higher belts, it's a different story. They have already developed the physical skills, mental attitude and respect for the art. Now we can have some fun and joke around (which I really enjoy), and be confident a more relaxed teaching environment will not negatively impact training, learning or safety.

A possibly related observation - Have you noticed that black belts sparring at a tournament seem to be enjoying themselves more than lower belts who seem so serious? I think this is natural and related to the above thoughts.
What I meant by being wise and stern, is knowing when to be wise and or stern, I do joke around, but you have to be careful not to joke too much, the students has to remember to make sure they have a degree of seriousness, otherwise they will not learn every little point and or hurt someone. I also notice that if I am teaching a child and I joke too much, the parent will get upset and feel I am not spending enough time teaching, there is always that fine line. When I first started out, I would never joke around, I was enjoying everything I was learning. I by nature am not a serious person, but that can sometimes get me into trouble lol.

Latest Discussions