after all im still with no sash!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
when i was looking for school like a year ago i was looking for dragon, which i found out is very rare, then i thought eagle is good, but i couldnt really find a good school.

I always thought snake style was very cool, but could never find a teacher.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I always thought snake style was very cool, but could never find a teacher.
it's so weird i have neve heard of mantis before and when i started looking for MA school around me all I can find is either mantis or what claim to be "shaolin" kung fu, but they looked pretty McShaolin (is that a word yet?) all of the styles are crazy cool.. monkey is definitely up there.. drunken is very nice too, dragon, and eagle.. but like i said whenever i watch a movie or a performance i go "I WANT THAT".. haha

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
the style? the style is all good, except the low kicks. when i was looking for school like a year ago i was looking for dragon, which i found out is very rare, then i thought eagle is good, but i couldnt really find a good school. anyway, i think this is over now. I think I am sticking with the school after all. and as far as the testing thing went my teachers were very understanding. they said it's not a problem and I can do the tests any time. so im doing them next tuesday. btw, Mr. Hung says hi to you, Mr. 7starmantis. I told him there's a person who's encouraging me and helping me out with kung fu, he was like I KNOW THAT MAN! he also recommended i read a couple of books including the ones you told me about. so i bought them! so that would be all for now! thanks again Adam for helping me out.

I'm glad to hear that, it seems things worked out great for you. I look forward to hearing about your progress! I think you will enjoy the books as well, just dont get discouraged, spend the time you have and just let your skill progress as it will.

Now, just curious, what do you not like about low kicks?

7sm

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I'm glad to hear that, it seems things worked out great for you. I look forward to hearing about your progress! I think you will enjoy the books as well, just dont get discouraged, spend the time you have and just let your skill progress as it will.

Now, just curious, what do you not like about low kicks?

7sm
mantis makes low kicks sound smart, especially that you are always grabbing when you kick. so the kicks seem to be safe.

i know all that, but to me, personally, i like fancy kicks, spin kicks, roundhouse kicks, jump side kicks.. kicks you usually see in movies, like ong-bak, bruce lee's movies, chuck norris, and even van damme (no i dont like him but i like his kicks)
i think it's just a personal preference...
+ throught middle and high school I always got an A+ in PE for being able to do splits! (thanks to high kicks haha)
anyway, let me ask you this, do you know if they're gonna stretch us to do splits or that's not important in mantis either?
there's this outside crossing kick that we're doing, every time my leg lands back it hurts me. i wonder if it's a matter of stretching or if im kicking wrong....

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haha, yeah CMA is pretty heavy on the stretching aspect! We do "chinese splits" with one foot on the heel, the other foot on the side. Its all a matter of intent, high jumping spinning movie kicks can get you killed. But they are very athletic.

7sm

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
it's so weird i have neve heard of mantis before and when i started looking for MA school around me all I can find is either mantis or what claim to be "shaolin" kung fu, but they looked pretty McShaolin (is that a word yet?) all of the styles are crazy cool.. monkey is definitely up there.. drunken is very nice too, dragon, and eagle.. but like i said whenever i watch a movie or a performance i go "I WANT THAT".. haha

I think Shaolin tends to be a generic northern kung-fu term. I'm at a school that calls itself Shaolin, but its really Mizhong Lohan and Northern Eagle Claw, with occasional other stuff thrown in. There are probably hundreds of kung-fu styles with the first 50% or so of what you learn being exactly the same, instead of being confusing they all adopted the term Shaolin.

Latest Discussions