aerial techniques

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jumping, flying, kicks, knees, punches, elbows. Risky moves but I think there's a time and place for it (not just demonstration). What do you guys think? Don't get jammed!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can think of only corner cases where an aerial technique would be superior to the same kick with one foot planted firmly on the ground. In general, the power and stability of maintaining contact with the earth outweight any small benefit the other would provide.

That said, they're great exercises and incredible for building up a kid's (or adult's) confidence. They certainly have their uses. And if you ever wind up having to jump over a pit of alligators to kill a guy, you have it in your toolbox.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think if you are going for an aerial technique you better be damn sure of your target and its complete lack of ability to defend itself

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
A good jump reverse side is nice for those sticky doors ;).
That one can be done relatively safely though, moving away from the aggressor, low to mid level etc.

Most? Flashy and fun, but not much for safe use. I've rarely seen some used in the ring, generally when they were the person telegraphed so badly it was game over.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jumping, flying, kicks, knees, punches, elbows. Risky moves but I think there's a time and place for it (not just demonstration). What do you guys think? Don't get jammed!

I prefer to avoid jumping/flying type kicks. Everything has its time and place and Im sure some people can make them work, so I don't want to discredit those types of kicks, but they're just not for me.

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are fun, so go for it.

If you get really good at them they can be used in contact fights, IF your core stuff is good enough to back them up and set them up.

Overall I think if you are looking for practicality they are not worth the effort, the time it takes to get them usable would best be spent on other things. But if you enjoy them and they motivate you, by all means, go for it. But remember what they are, a trick that is a very low use move for fighting.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
if it wasn't good for somehting, it wouldn't exist.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
1.Purpose - Define your purpose for why you are training (art, sport, fighting, enlightenment, fitness, whatever)

2.Goals - Define the yardstick or accomplishments that measure your progress toward your purpose.

3.Strategy - Define what you need to do or be able to do to accomplish those goals

4.Techniques - Break the stragegy down into techniques that are used to execute your stragetgy

5.Training - Train the techniques for your own maximun effectiveness.

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Whenever discussing the use of a technique in the abstract, you must always answer 'Why?'. There are some Purposes to training that will be met out with Goals, etc.., etc...for which an Aerial Kick makes perfect sense (such as Fitness, Art and some kinds of Sport). There are others were it would not be so obvious a path.

OP
10,000 Hit Combo

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good Posts.
I think for now I'll be talking about the sparring and competition applications. My favorites are flying side kick to the chest and jump spinning heel to the stomach at close range. I only use them when I need to close distance fast or if I set it up to fit with a combo. I don't like the double front kick though. I prefer a double knee. I also love the "flying cross". In self-defense, I haven't been attacked from horseback for a couple of centuries so I can't quite remember how well it really works. Has anyone had any particular success in the competition aspect?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pet Rocks
Chia pets
the Ab-doer
well, pretty much anything in late night infomercials
want me to go on? :D

Novelty and show is a reason though I suppose ;)

Some people acctualy like Chia pets... why I'm not sure.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think they have there place in training. Not so much a particular kick but the ability to quickly spring upward or any direction. I have trained for 18+ years and have been in a few fights. Never once used an aerial kick (nor would I). But I have almost been hit by a car. I was able leap out of the way and up on to the hood. Still got some nice scratches and bruises, but no damage to the knees/legs or worse.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it wasn't good for somehting, it wouldn't exist.

True, and like I always say, everything has its place. What it comes down to is using it in the right place at the right time. ;)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of us learn/use a horse stance in training. Would you use one in a fight? :)

Learning an arial kick takes hard work, timing, strong legs, focus and dedication. Once again, not great for fighting, but may have a place in the mental and physical training.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of us learn/use a horse stance in training. Would you use one in a fight? :)

Learning an arial kick takes hard work, timing, strong legs, focus and dedication. Once again, not great for fighting, but may have a place in the mental and physical training.

see this is what I meant

Latest Discussions