(Actually) Training at home

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Long version:
After 3 years my gym closed, and so did my boxing class. But I still wanna continue training. I've been attacked several times during my life, and it taught me the same thing again and again - I am not capable of defending myself. I rock at the ring(best in my class), but in a real battle it's harder to control myself. Especially because there are *always* numerous attackers, and it's *always* a surprise. And please trust me when I say I do my best to avoid danger, and it still happens.
So anyway, I would like to learn something more modern and actual for today's streets. I've deeply searched every class in my area and I was unable to find anything that focuses on actual self defense rather than sport and competitions.
I have two choices - either to take a class that I know will not work for me, or to learn by books and DVDs. I have to say that self-teaching has never disappointed me, but this is a special case.
So far I have various Systema DVDs by Vladimir Vasiliev, teaching all sorts of useful stuff(hand to hand, :)

I'm sorry, but this sounds very much like a commercial advertisement for Systema.

Or if you claim to be "the best in your class" but only with 3 years of experience in Boxing, then I must question that this Boxing gym that closed down, didn't have too many high level fighters or may even be, not very good.

Most boxing gyms in America, sparring is often and usually for full knockdowns or knockouts. Boxers learn to fight at a really fast pace compared to Traditional MA and Self Defense. Self Defense, in general, only spars light to medium because they can't really attack someone's eyeballs or groin with full powered strikes during training.

A trained and experienced Boxer who've fought in the ring, should have excellent fighting capabilities vs. the average, untrained streetfighter or touhguy. Toughguys on the streets don't fight every week. Boxer do, because full sparring is really a fight as they're trying to knock someone down or out. How many streetfights really lasts more than 2-3 minute rounds? Average sparring is 4-6 rounds (2-3 minutes each) per Boxing workout (usually 2-3 days a week).

Now a pure Boxer vs. MMA in the street (or in the ring, or wherever), then I can see how there would be problems as the Boxer doesn't know how to address kicks, clinch fighting and the worse, takedowns. Even on the streets, and your footwork fails and you get cornered or clinched, then Boxing alone is not enough, but still way better than most Self Defense classes taught.

Unless you're fighting well trained street thugs, which is a possibility, then of course you're screwed. But vs. untrained toughguys, an experienced Boxer would just use superior punches and footwork. Hitting someone in the face to KO them works just as well in the streets as it does in the ring. There's obviously no guarantees though, especially vs. multiple opponents. Much worse if your training doesn't consist of hitting someone at full force for real and getting hit back the same, like the way it is in most Self Defense schools.

It's not bad to train Self Defense such as Systema. Any training is better than nothing. Just don't put too much stock in play fighting with a ton of gear on, and especially not training through DVD's.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP whatever you decide to do I wish you the very best of luck. Generally speaking training in person is superior to distance learning. I don't know about systema but that is true of most other martial arts.

The best site I have seen about distance learning programs is this:

http://www.blackbeltdl.com/

The best way to overcome fear is a combination of counseling and actually doing the thing you are afraid of. Not that you should be out there picking fights. But if you can simulate combat in a martial arts class it should help a bit. I suggest something with a lot of contact like mma.