About the straight punch

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi.

I happened to graze the surface of Richard Ryan's Dynamic Combat Method (http://www.dynamiccombat.com/indexfl.html), and noticed that the straight punch he advocates is extremely similar, if not the same, as how Wing Chun's is described.

Unfortunately, I was unable to go into depth of this simple yet interesting technique, so I hope to learn from y'all about it.

Is the straight punch really just a simple straight punch, or are there more, (I'm pretty sure there are :)) finer nuances than meets the eye?

I hope y'all could enlighten me on this topic as much as mere text allowed.

Also, I hope I'm not asking something that shouldn't be asked...
I have tried search and found some useful tips, but that's all...
I've heard knuckle/fist pushups help too...

And, if it helps, I have a base in Taekwondo and Sports Kenjutsu/Japanese swordfighting.

Thank you all very much.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi.

I happened to graze the surface of Richard Ryan's Dynamic Combat Method (http://www.dynamiccombat.com/indexfl.html), and noticed that the straight punch he advocates is extremely similar, if not the same, as how Wing Chun's is described.

Unfortunately, I was unable to go into depth of this simple yet interesting technique, so I hope to learn from y'all about it.

Is the straight punch really just a simple straight punch, or are there more, (I'm pretty sure there are :)) finer nuances than meets the eye?

I hope y'all could enlighten me on this topic as much as mere text allowed.

Also, I hope I'm not asking something that shouldn't be asked...
I have tried search and found some useful tips, but that's all...
I've heard knuckle/fist pushups help too...

And, if it helps, I have a base in Taekwondo and Sports Kenjutsu/Japanese swordfighting.

Thank you all very much.

Hello :D

Our centerline punch has a very simple concept, but its very difficult to learn. I must have thrown well over 70,000 punches before I got it down. Probably about 3 or 4 months practicing every day, 800-1500 throws.

wck dallas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not experienced like alot of ppl here... but in my school, Sifu explains that in wing chun our straight punch is "thrown" out on the tendons and rebounds off the tendons for speed etc. with the muscles having little to do with it. not that I've mastered it...but to answer your question...there is more to it than just a straight punch.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not experienced like alot of ppl here... but in my school, Sifu explains that in wing chun our straight punch is "thrown" out on the tendons and rebounds off the tendons for speed etc. with the muscles having little to do with it. not that I've mastered it...but to answer your question...there is more to it than just a straight punch.

That's right :D no muscle

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Practice,opinion & theory;a fist in the upright position is a more natural position as opposed to turning the wrist to the side.Also when striking you will notice rather than hitting with the first two knuckles,the vertical sun punch strikes using the surface area of the last three.The elbow/shoulder generates the forward momentum along the center line to form a triangle when fully executed without being hyper-extended.My instructor used to discourage any kind of weight training or push-up,he explained that any kind of tension only serves to slow a person down (ie;bicep,tricep working against each other)or in other words liken it to accelerating with one foot on the brakes.Yes, repetitive chain punching gets rid of the urge to want to tense up and power thought your opponent with brute force, it also builds a whip like smacking power through repetitive wall bag training while preserving the gravity of the trunk.
The end result is a kind of quick springy flexible body.Hope this helps.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Practice,opinion & theory;a fist in the upright position is a more natural position as opposed to turning the wrist to the side.Also when striking you will notice rather than hitting with the first two knuckles,the vertical sun punch strikes using the surface area of the last three.The elbow/shoulder generates the forward momentum along the center line to form a triangle when fully executed without being hyper-extended.My instructor used to discourage any kind of weight training or push-up,he explained that any kind of tension only serves to slow a person down (ie;bicep,tricep working against each other)or in other words liken it to accelerating with one foot on the brakes.Yes, repetitive chain punching gets rid of the urge to want to tense up and power thought your opponent with brute force, it also builds a whip like smacking power through repetitive wall bag training while preserving the gravity of the trunk.

Great description. The arm following the center line is kind of against the natural motion of the arm, but other then that....right on. The fist should follow the center line and the arm follows the natural line of the forward going triangle. That's merely a difference it in grand masters.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I need you in another Wing Chun thread.LOL
Sean

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

omg great :D didn't know about that feature. Now I don't ever have to hear from Tanzanaki again.

/double arm pump

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing this thread shows I think is the importance of finding a good instructor who can teach you the proper techniques of your style. A straight punch is rarely just a straight punch though in any style, in karate I was taught how to relax the arm until just before the punch landed, a more difficult technique than it sounds. I was also taught to let the knuckle/s protrude a little to maximise the impact. I punch too with the fist in the 'upright' position.

Your punch sounds difficult to pick up from description alone! I have a feeling though if I saw it I'd know what it was, unfortunately videos don't work on my computer!

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In all honesty, I think there are a lot of differences in wing chun with regards to punching. Some keep the elbows out, other federations keep them in. Some throw the punch out, others drive it forward.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The idea of not using muscle to punch is a good one, but its just point of reference to try to achieve. Of course you want to eliminate undue muscle tension and let gravity and momentum do most of the work, but the reality of your body requires muscle use or you are a pile of bones and flesh on the floor.
Sean

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The idea of not using muscle to punch is a good one, but its just point of reference to try to achieve. Of course you want to eliminate undue muscle tension and let gravity and momentum do most of the work, but the reality of your body requires muscle use or you are a pile of bones and flesh on the floor.
Sean

I think the idea is that your punching power shouldn't be coming from the muscle in your arms, which should just be providing structure and support to convey the force that turning the hips, forward motion, dropping steps etc are generating. Of course, none of this is unique to WC, and if one were to imply that boxers were stupid brutes relying on strength over technique you would be making yourself look very silly.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the idea is that your punching power shouldn't be coming from the muscle in your arms, which should just be providing structure and support to convey the force that turning the hips, forward motion, dropping steps etc are generating. Of course, none of this is unique to WC, and if one were to imply that boxers were stupid brutes relying on strength over technique you would be making yourself look very silly.
Agreed.:ultracool
Sean

Latest Discussions