about that

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
just read a forum on Facebook where a lot of people were basically saying that the Gracies proved that striking is defenseless against grappling and it really bothered me. bothered me so much that it put me in a bad mood. i know i shouldn't care about what people like that are saying but yeah

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
striking is defenseless against grappling ...
IMO, the anti-grappling doesn't exist, but the anti-striking does exist. All you need to do is to wrap your opponent's striking arms. Unless you can knock your opponent down, if a wrestler obtains a clinch and take you down, the striking game stop and the ground game start.

Last edited:
OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, the anti-grappling doesn't exist, but the anti-striking does exist. All you need to do is to wrap your opponent's striking arms. Unless you can knock your opponent down, if a wrestler obtains a clinch and take you down, the striking game stop and the ground game start.

so there's no way to defend against a bear hug?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so there's no way to defend against a bear hug?

Not with kicks and punches, not really. Maybe if you have a really good headbutt, lol. The striking defense to bear hug is basically "prevent them from doing it in the first place".

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not with kicks and punches, not really. Maybe if you have a really good headbutt, lol. The striking defense to bear hug is basically "prevent them from doing it in the first place".

that's what I meant, there are most definitely ways to prevent a bear hug in the first place

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
that's what I meant, there are most definitely ways to prevent a bear hug in the first place
- To prevent a bear hug is easy. All you need is to remain striking distance.
- To counter a bear hug is also possible. You can just use both hands to push your opponent's forehead backward (apply pressure on his neck).

But if your opponent can use bear hug to bend your spine backward and crash your structure, it may be too late to apply any counter at that moment.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
messed up that last post... i'll say it again
It's relative and not absolute. All counters can be applied

1. before,
2. during, and
3. after.

The difficulty can be 3 > 2 > 1.

messed up that last post... i'll say it again.
yeah i meant before. i'll admit, once the bear hug has been applied, your options are pretty limited.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yeah i meant before. i'll admit, once the bear hug has been applied, your options are pretty limited.
Before is easy. If you can move back faster than your opponent's advance, he cannot knock/take you down.

The concern is when you punch, you have to step in. If your opponent also step in at that moment, your striking range can become his clinching range.

You throw a

- right punch, your opponent also throws a left punch between your right arm and your head.
- left punch, your opponent also throws a right punch between your left arm and your head.

Your opponent's arms are inside of your arms and outside of your head. If he moves in, a clinch will happen.

How to solve that issue from a striker point of view?

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before is easy. If you can move back faster than your opponent's advance, nobody on earth can knock/take you down.

The concern is when you punch, you have to step in. If your opponent also step in at that moment, your striking range can become his clinching range.

Shorter punches , footwork. Force your opponent to defend the punches then use your footwork to maintain spacing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
just read a forum on Facebook where a lot of people were basically saying that the Gracies proved that striking is defenseless against grappling and it really bothered me. bothered me so much that it put me in a bad mood. i know i shouldn't care about what people like that are saying but yeah

Lets see if I remember this correctly
Grappling is to defend against kicking and punching
kicking and punching to defend against Qinna
Qinna to defend against Grappling

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Before is easy. If you can move back faster than your opponent's advance, he cannot knock/take you down.

You throw a

- right punch, your opponent also throws a left punch between your right arm and your head.
- left punch, your opponent also throws a right punch between your left arm and your head.

Your opponent's arms are inside of your arms and outside of your head. If he moves in, a clinch will happen.

yes, defending against a clinch can be tricky... but not impossible. here is a brief article and video of how to defend against it in Muay Thai (which also uses clinches)

Learn How to Defend Against Clinch Entry with Petchboonchu - Muay Thai PROS

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes, defending against a clinch can be tricky... but not impossible. here is a brief article and video of how to defend against it in Muay Thai (which also uses clinches)

Learn How to Defend Against Clinch Entry with Petchboonchu - Muay Thai PROS
Of course to defend against a clinch is possible. You just need to have wrestling experience.

The MT clinch is still from a striker point of view. From a wrestler point of view, a clinch is much more complicate.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Of course to defend against a clinch is possible. You just need to have wrestling experience.

The MT clinch is still from a striker point of view. From a wrestler point of view, a clinch is much more complicate.

back to the "before it starts" subject, as shown in the.video, you want to avoid getting locked in the clinch in the first place. now i'm not familiar with the differences between MT clinches and Wrestling clinches, but i don't see how it would change avoiding the clinch before it even happens. even in Muay Thai once the clinch is locked in the person on the receiving end of the clinch could be in trouble. but if you can't lock the clinch in the first place, it won't work regardless of what martial art you are using.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Don't let what people say bother you, bro. Especially people marketing something. And most especially on the internet. We all be crazy. :)

But one great thing came of that....I never saw the Hugh Jackman vid Drop Bear posted. That was way cool.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't let what people say bother you, bro. Especially people marketing something. And most especially on the internet. We all be crazy. :)

But one great thing came of that....I never saw the Hugh Jackman vid Drop Bear posted. That was way cool.

i concur. especially on the Hugh Jackman video. i usually don't let stuff like that bother me but the fact of the matter is I've heard like 300 people say or imply that grappling and BJJ are pretty much invincible. kind of a sore spot for me

Latest Discussions