A Zoom meet up???

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
This might be pure genius or it could possibly be the dumbest damn thing I've ever come up with.

What do you guys think of doing a wing chun Zoom meet up?
We could look at variations of SNT/SLT, footwork etc.

Would this turn into one big pi$$ing contest?
Would it be better to be lineage specific?
Anyway, just throwing it out there.

What do you think?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmmm...now that is quite thought provoking! Is there a limitation on number of participants? (note: I've never used zoom before so no clue how it works).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was in a zoom conference call last week with 50 something members. It seemed a bit much for me since a few people dominated the meeting and i didn't even know fully who was in it (even more so than when we do the conference in person), but it can be done.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty new to it but it works best by having those who aren't speaking to keep their mics muted, otherwise there's too much background noise.
Also, when using the free app we are limited to 40 minute meetings.
If someone has the paid app it's unlimited time if they host.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This might be pure genius or it could possibly be the dumbest damn thing I've ever come up with.
What do you guys think of doing a wing chun Zoom meet up?
We could look at variations of SNT/SLT, footwork etc. What do you think?

I think it would be fun to try, and maybe just approach it like an informal get together. Just some MT buddies hanging out and BS-ing ...and see where it goes from there.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you're genius. ;)

Would this turn into one big pi$$ing contest?
Would it be better to be lineage specific?
Maybe the person that hosts the meet-up could also be the moderator to keep things flowing and on topic etc. I like Gezzer's idea of having discussion also. That could be a great start.

Not sure about 40 people though, that might be a bit of a challenge to manage. It would probably be best to keep it smaller than max capacity if possible, at least at first.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it does, I've lost already. Maybe it's just age? Maybe an enlarged prostate? Bur my pi$$ing just ain't what it used to be. :oops:

We'll spot you 10 points

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
what i think would be cool would be a weekly meeting on a topic set a week before and we chime in with favored techniques or stylistic set ups.
favorite kick
go to sneaky attack
favorite strike
footwork drills
etc

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wing chun meetup on Zoom? I know nothing about WC, so you guys know I'll be there!

Seriously, I'm in if you allow lurkers. I doubt I'd have much (of use) to contribute to the discussions, but I'd be interested in seeing the discussion.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would be up for it. Suggest that the first one be a chat, rather than physical demonstrations (forms comparisons).

I think it would also be great to keep it a Wing Chun circle, if possible. No offense intended to good guys like gps, who I'm sure would not disrupt, but the biggest problem that I think we have posting about Wing Chun here is being trolled and/or talked over by people who have chosen a different path.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd love to take part. But I don't know how. A buddy of mine back east has been doing a twice a month Zoom thing for one of his Black Belt classes. They wanted me to take part, and teach a couple classes next month.

Twice I tried, followed the directions and everything, put in the access code thingies, blah, blah blah.

I got nada.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would be up for it. Suggest that the first one be a chat, rather than physical demonstrations (forms comparisons).

I think it would also be great to keep it a Wing Chun circle, if possible. No offense intended to good guys like gps, who I'm sure would not disrupt, but the biggest problem that I think we have posting about Wing Chun here is being trolled and/or talked over by people who have chosen a different path.

I don't know. I was talking to some Aikido guys at the park last Sunday and they were so easy to talk to about shared concepts compared to talking with some of the other WC groups I run into. Weird. o_O

Maybe the host can just invite people he/she knows are reasonable. For the rest, he can be like the famous "soup nazi". Make that, "Zoom nazi": "No Zoom for you!"
B0KXxdHCAAEK3_z.jpg

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd love to take part. But I don't know how. A buddy of mine back east has been doing a twice a month Zoom thing for one of his Black Belt classes. They wanted me to take part, and teach a couple classes next month.

Twice I tried, followed the directions and everything, put in the access code thingies, blah, blah blah.

I got nada.

Same will probably happen to me. I'm cursed when it comes to tech. Got another zoom meeting in an hour. I'll see how that turns out.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

I got nada.

I hear ya Buka.
I've had a few glitches with it too, couple that's with the fact I probably have the slowest internet on the planet.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hear ya Buka.
I've had a few glitches with it too, couple that's with the fact I probably have the slowest internet on the planet.

Yeah, man, it's slow out here, too. I once peeked behind the curtain at it. There were three mice running in a wheel...well, strolling actually. They were wearing sunglasses and appeared to be high.

Hmmm....maybe I should get me a wheel.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought we might do something this weekend then I realized it's Memorial Day weekend and everybody will probably be busy NOT going to the lake and NOT going swimming and NOT having a cookout.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, man, it's slow out here, too. I once peeked behind the curtain at it. There were three mice running in a wheel...well, strolling actually. They were wearing sunglasses and appeared to be high.

Island mice....what are you gonna do???

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. I was talking to some Aikido guys at the park last Sunday and they were so easy to talk to about shared concepts compared to talking with some of the other WC groups I run into. Weird. o_O

I've had similar experiences. No issue talking shop with people from other systems and the Wing Chun community can be insufferable. But, here at Martial Talk there's no reason to believe that we would pull off a civil conversation on Wing Chun if we made it open to people from other or no systems.

Certainly, there are good members who would be exceptions, but I wouldn't want to be the one who decides...or maybe I would...