A victory for Pit Bull Dogs!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All but 1 of Micheal Vicks dogs passed the tests and can be adopted out or used in Law Enforcement.

It's nice to see these dogs get a second chance. Many Humane societies in cities across the US and THE ENTIRE FRIGGIN PROVINCE OF ONTARIO would euthanize the dogs simply because of their breed. So it is nice when that doesn't happen. American Pit Bull Terriers are one of the best working or family dogs a person can get.

Hopefully these dogs will find good homes...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071002/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_vick_dogs

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
If this be a "victory", it be a Pyhrric one.

Yes, it is always beneficial to see the banomaniacs dealt a defeat, but consider the other side of the balance sheet.

These dogs are but the survivors.... the numerous others were murdered or killed in fights. They went to shallow graves, not family homes.

Far too many NFL players, and others, began to come forward to defend Vick and dogfighting before the elbows/nudges/winks quieted them down. The now silent level of support for dogfighting can scarcely be seen as any victory for those who'll be used in it. These specific dogs may live, but how many others are being trained to fight and will die this week?

The publicity from the Vick case is a double edged sword. How many people will read the reports and conclude, " See those dogs are vicious killers". Yes, pit bulls will be adopted - but how many will be by those vicious humans who can't wait to have the baddest killer dog on the block?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many people will read the reports and conclude, " See those dogs are vicious killers". Yes, pit bulls will be adopted - but how many will be by those vicious humans who can't wait to have the baddest killer dog on the block?
Unfortunately, this is a very common mindset among a certain element of society. The same element that sees only strength or weakness--it doesn't even understand kindness or civility, and so lumps those things under weakness. And it doesn't differentiate between strength and aggressiveness, confusing the two. So logically, in these people's minds, having an animal that is aggressive and extends your 'strength' (read: ability to intimidate others), is desirable. The rest of us see this mindset as an extension of feelings of powerlessness which some emotionally stunted people try to overcome through abusing animals.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All but 1 of Micheal Vicks dogs passed the tests and can be adopted out or used in Law Enforcement.

It's nice to see these dogs get a second chance. Many Humane societies in cities across the US and THE ENTIRE FRIGGIN PROVINCE OF ONTARIO would euthanize the dogs simply because of their breed. So it is nice when that doesn't happen. American Pit Bull Terriers are one of the best working or family dogs a person can get.

Hopefully these dogs will find good homes...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071002/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_vick_dogs

I'm no expert on dogs, but I'd think that just like with kids, you learn what you live. In other words, if you're constantly subjected to abuse, chances are the dog will be violent, compared to giving the dog love and affection. This isn't to say that the dog can't 'snap' but I'd bet the chances would be alot less.

People IMO, tend to be intimidated by whats considered 'large and powerful' breeds, such as a Rottie, Shepherd, Pit, Dobie, but the little 'ankle biters' can be just as bad, and my father, who is a letter carrier, can attest to that! The majority of the bites he's had have been from small dogs.

In any case, I hope that the dogs in this situation can be rehabilitated and given good homes.

Mike

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If this be a "victory", it be a Pyhrric one.

Yes, it is always beneficial to see the banomaniacs dealt a defeat, but consider the other side of the balance sheet.

These dogs are but the survivors.... the numerous others were murdered or killed in fights. They went to shallow graves, not family homes.

Far too many NFL players, and others, began to come forward to defend Vick and dogfighting before the elbows/nudges/winks quieted them down. The now silent level of support for dogfighting can scarcely be seen as any victory for those who'll be used in it. These specific dogs may live, but how many others are being trained to fight and will die this week?

The publicity from the Vick case is a double edged sword. How many people will read the reports and conclude, " See those dogs are vicious killers". Yes, pit bulls will be adopted - but how many will be by those vicious humans who can't wait to have the baddest killer dog on the block?

Good points.

It's bad enough that the criminal elements of society would abuse these dogs as they do; but what is even worse is that much more of this particular breed is mass abused and Euthanized and outlawed in towns all over North America and even the entire Ontario province. Social stigma against the breed causes neighbors to poison other neighbors dogs, people to abandon these dogs in the streets, and so forth. Then they overbreed, and the cycle continues. This all done by sopposedly "normal" people.

The publicity of this case that exposes the horrors of the criminal dog fighting element to the public, but that can also report that these dogs aren't genetically "bad dogs" and can be adopted out or put to work in Law Enforcement greatly helps the situation, in my opinion.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know I'm preaching to the choir here. The Am Staffs, English Bull Terriers and the rest of the constellation that gets called "Pit Bulls" are some of the sweetest, most human-friendly dogs ever. It takes some work and abuse to turn them mean. They are terriers, no doubt about it. They're strong. They can be aggressive to other dogs - although removing a male's spark plugs helps a lot. But they're absolute Velcro-dogs who thrive on human attention.

A few months ago I had to take my snake into the vet's for a skin infection. It was late Friday night. I had to wait for a while because of emergencies. One of them was a guy who brought in a Pit for surgery. He said it had been "hit by a car". Utter ********. There were cuts, punctures and bite marks all over the front half of the animal, and one ear was nearly chewed off. The poor thing was still trying to lick him and make friends with the vets as they took it off to surgery.

I asked the doctor "Do you mind if I shoot the owner and take the dog once you've patched him up? I'll pay for the surgery."

He looked sad "I'd love to, but I think I'll just call the police instead."

:(

My Silat teacher and his wife have a Pit (male, 3-4 years old, they would neuter him before adopting out) who is just one dog too many and tried to eat one of the goats. They would be eternally grateful if someone could give him a good home. He's very affectionate, wonderful with babies, a serious licker, OK with cats, good with female dogs, not so good with other male dogs, although this may well be helped by neutering. He needs attention and particularly likes women.

Seriously, if you're in Oregon/Southwest Washington and are interested drop me a line. But only if you can guarantee that he'll have a good home with lots of love and you're willing to be vetted for suitability. They won't place a dog with someone who won't treat it well.

Latest Discussions