A very young Jet Li

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see Jet Li in that clip.

I see Olga Korbit.
I see Makhial Baryshnikov.
Maybe some Fred Astair.

I see gymnastics, or dance, with a sword. Very nice gymnastics or dance, but not martial arts.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I see Olga Korbit.
Maybe some Fred Astair.

I see gymnastics, or dance, with a sword. Very nice gymnastics or dance, but not martial arts.

It's wu shu. There is a difference.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You can see a lot more of Jet Li here.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43776

Yes it is Wushu, but much of Wushu is based on Chángquán or Long Fist. Many of the forms in Wushu competitions are very close to Chángquán although a bit more acrobatic and although I would not say a Wushu person such as Jet Li was a good Chángquán person he is much closer to martial arts than say Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire or Emmitt Smith.

One of the reasons forms from Chángquán were used was because of the spirit of the Chángquán practitioners and of course the physicality of the forms themselves. Many misunderstand what Wushu is and where it comes from as well as what it is to the Chinese, but it is, at least from the Western definition (and I tend to agree with the western definition) not exactly martial arts in its pure form. HOwever with that said I got hit pretty Damn hard by a Wushu guy from China back when I use to spar other style and he also had a little understanding of Qinna. But I do not know if he trained anything other than Wushu in China, it is possible that he did.

However there appears to be a movement today in China that takes Wushu from what it was, close to the forms of various CMA styles to something that I can only describe as dangerously acrobatic. This is very different from Jet Li's day.

And there are many in China that use the terminology Wushu interchangeably

Jet Li was and is a very talented individual, thank you for posting.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I see Olga Korbit.
Maybe some Fred Astair.

If that is the case, you don't know much about him and his art (Wushu)

That is Wushu, translates pretty much to "Wushu" and is a national sport in CHina. Jet Li one the National Wushu Champion of China title 5 times.

Latest Discussions