A training tool

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you could only purchase/own ONE tool for your training, what would it be?

A hanbo? A piece of rope? A Gi? What would you consider invaluable?

To me it would be a Bo- Staff.
Terry
Everything else is irrevelant to training, I can kick on everything and punch my walls.:erg:

A hanbo, definitely. A hanbo is usable in more of a variety of settings than say, a bo. Also, it would be tough to run afoul of weapons laws with one unless you were caught actively beating someone with it. :lol:
Some other weapons are easily improvised. Loose pocket change makes a good distraction, a la shuriken; and you could improvise a kusari fundo from a belt, rope, or rolled up shirt.
An anecdote while I'm thinking of it... Several years ago, there was a retired school teacher training at our dojo. He often carried his hanbo with him. It doubled as a walking stick, and he also used it on a few occasions to fend off unfriendly dogs while walking. He eventually fitted it with crutch tips on either end, and was offered early boarding on a flight once while travelling to visit family.

A Hanbo is something that you can also easily improvise. Is it actually important to own one?

rutherford said:
A Hanbo is something that you can also easily improvise. Is it actually important to own one?
Based on its versatility alone, I'd say yes...

rutherford said:

My "hanbo" is a Military Riot Baton.

its about 3 feet long, straight, and wooden. The only thing that I would say makes it different than a "regular" hanbo is the grooves at the ends.

So in my case I own it cuz its just cool. Heh. But you are correct, it is an easily improvised weapon. But I think a lot of weapons are... excluding maybe bladed ones.

Hey i like the idea of having one with me at all times. Having one disguised as a walking stick is a great idea! Just got to get to work on growing a white beard to make it look the part now..

Kreth said:
Heh, I actually have one of the Combat Canes from Cane Masters.

Me too -- love it!! Simple oak with "teardrop" shaft. Goes with me on airplanes with no problem. If I take a bus somewhere I can always sit near the door, even if it's crowded, because people make. . .certain assumptions. . .and I don't even have to whack them with the cane for them to give up a seat.

Kreth said:
Heh, I actually have one of the Combat Canes from Cane Masters.

Same here and I carry mine everywhere..Never got any hassles when boarding an aircraft..

My Mind, all the rest I can make :D.

Less hassles if you let them bring their own toys to the party and they accidently fall over and hurt themselves with them.:D

I must admit though I am a Bo staff man myself.

I do have trouble keeping my mind on the plane though, as it likes to watch the flight attendants instead.:D

I would say may hanbo or my bokken for same reasons it has spent alot of time with me seems more like a freind than tool though.

Latest Discussions

Back