OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've a feeling you at least partially missed my point with this thread my forumites. But threads take on lives of their own I suppose, even tho' they are supposed to stay as on-topic as possible in the Study.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've a feeling you at least partially missed my point with this thread my forumites. But threads take on lives of their own I suppose, even tho' they are supposed to stay as on-topic as possible in the Study.
It's OK Suk, he's gone and if he thinks I'm going to watch an hour of Stefan Molyneux ..... ! Sharia law is always going to be a problem for the West and that is even in relatively benign Muslim states. What happens when radical Islam takes over is much, much worse. Unfortunately that is what is happening on a large scale in the Middle East and why I am against a lot of our immigration where we allow displaced persons and refugees into our country and some of them immediately demand that we allow them Sharia law. These same people preach hatred in their mosques and incite violence in our community.

As to the OP. I suppose some of the truth will come out in court. I'm not sure what she expects to get by suing the Australian Government. She would be better suing her employer in my opinion. Even then, she seems to have ignored the advice she was given.

I don't know that it is a moral compass issue as such. It is the result of a radical religeon that places no value on human life and gives no rights to women. Short of another crusade I don't expect to see things improving any time soon. :asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What should be the North Star for Islam to guide it's moral compass?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about basic human rights, or not treating women as property?

Imagine having this conversation with a muslim man in a country where the US foreign policy was in action. What would he say in response?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Imagine having this conversation with a muslim man in a country where the US foreign policy was in action. What would he say in response?

There isn't one. Even in Muslim countries where we are located woman still are required to be covered and treated like property.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That isn't really relevant to the topic tho', is it, my friend? I'm not gainsaying what you are attempting to put across, just pointing out that it is not what this thread is about. Not directly at least altho' I can see parallels.

What my thoughts were, that caused me to open the topic in the first place, centred on two things. The first, hence the thread title, being that a religion that enshrines in it's law the punishment of the victim because of gender is in need of resetting it's sense of what is moral to something more in keeping with the general consensus on such things. The second was that I was amazed that the poor woman's home government couldn't help her more than it did - given that she is suing them I think she is less than satisfied in that regard too. Perhaps it was because there was alcohol involved and that that, rather than the gang rape, was what landed her in prison?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because that makes it ok to kill women for being rape victims...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What my thoughts were, that caused me to open the topic in the first place, centred on two things. The first, hence the thread title, being that a religion that enshrines in it's law the punishment of the victim because of gender is in need of resetting it's sense of what is moral to something more in keeping with the general consensus on such things. The second was that I was amazed that the poor woman's home government couldn't help her more than it did - given that she is suing them I think she is less than satisfied in that regard too. Perhaps it was because there was alcohol involved and that that, rather than the gang rape, was what landed her in prison?
When religion and the law become entwined you are always going to have problems as we can see in this case. Under Sharia law the religious aspect over rides any secular law. In this case the lady had two things going against her. While it was fine for her to drink alcohol discreetly the situation changed once the police became involved. She was told that. Fir drinking alcohol she received a one month term. She was advised not to report the rape but because of her injuries she felt she needed to go to the hospital. She was asked if she wanted to involve the police and advised that could cause trouble. It did, she had another eleven months added for having sex outside marriage. Two of the guys also got eleven months and one got more. So in one way she got what she wanted, the guys punished. What we as Westerners object to is the fact that she was punished too when we would all recognise her innocence. But that is not the law of that land. We don't know what involvement the Australian Government had in trying to negotiate behind the scenes. Maybe their intervention was the cause of her receiving a four month remission on her sentence.

But what is the sad thing here, and something we see across the Western world thanks to lawyers, when **** happens it is always someone else's fault. :asian:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
How about basic human rights, or not treating women as property?
Again, these are cultural issues that are medieval in origin-they predate Islam. It's medieval thinking tied to a religion, tied to a political and legal system based on that twisted version of the religion. It's not the "religion." It's as much an Arab problem as it is an Islam problem, and maybe even more an Arab problem.......

Latest Discussions