A question for teachers

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have my own preferences, but I can certainly see both sides, and I've seen both ways produce excellent players. I'm interested in your opinions:

Do you prefer to teach techniques which will lead to principles, or principles which will lead to techniques? If you'd be willing to indulge me, maybe speak to why you prefer the way that you do.

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have my own preferences, but I can certainly see both sides, and I've seen both ways produce excellent players. I'm interested in your opinions:

Do you prefer to teach techniques which will lead to principles, or principles which will lead to techniques? If you'd be willing to indulge me, maybe speak to why you prefer the way that you do.

I'd say it's a bit of both. It's got to be balanced; because from my limited teaching experience, the student cannot digest that much principles in the beginning. Thus we have to show them the techniques to help them understand. But after a while you have to remind them of the principles in order for them to understand why they are doing that technique in the first place. It also depends on the student themselves. Some will understand the principles better while others may understand the techniques better. It really depends on the individual person you are trying to teach.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just teach them self defence techniques first against common types of punches , kicks and grabs.

I demo the technique first and then they do it , I basically try to keep them moving and avoid it becoming a talk fest.

I explain the main points of the technique , but later on when I'm correcting them I will elaborate a bit more. Later I will start drip feeding them info on principles according to how much I think they can absorb.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
simple techniques first. but let them know that the goal isn't to memorize a bunch of techniques, but to develop a structure for learning. afterwards start on principles when they have overcome the initial fumbling of doing something new. Then deeper into the principles as they gain more experience. I do it this way, because i have tried both sides, first to do only techniques mcdojo style. this is easiest for people to grasp and do, but the cookie-cutter moves won't cut it in a real situation, then recently I tried teaching only principles first, showing very limited technique/hand position, but that's difficult for people to grasp. Now I've compromised in the middle, we do a number of techniques, but as they get proficient in them, we go over the principles, and then they start to put things together on their own.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Principle is very important to WT, but until they have given buckets of sweat those principles are only so much theory. First the techniques need to become a part of them, then and only then are they able to see beyond the technique to realize that WT is not technique but principle.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Principle is very important to WT, but until they have given buckets of sweat those principles are only so much theory. First the techniques need to become a part of them, then and only then are they able to see beyond the technique to realize that WT is not technique but principle.

Thats what I reckon , they learn by copying you in the first instance.
But after that they must be allowed to make their own mistakes and discover for themselves the circumstances in which the technique can be used , its limitations and the underlying principals involved.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think this is a bit of a chicken and the egg question. The first thing I teach is principles (paying respects to your instructor and training partner, etiquette of the dojo etc). Then we teach basic movements (opening / closing stance, punching, guard changes etc). Whilst this is going on, we use the principles of wing chun to enhance the teaching

I know some schools just train chunners to stand in lines doing moves without ever explaining why they are doing them. Brief explanations and links to principles are extremely important

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
simple techniques first ...we do a number of techniques, but as they get proficient in them, we go over the principles, and then they start to put things together on their own.

You know you are getting somewhere when you have the students drill a technique and then they can tell you the principles involved.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
While you can't really teach one with out the other you can spend more time on one or the the other.
I emphasize body mechanics more than anything else. Wing Chun doesn't work without the correct power structure and energy usage. So while learning tan punch etc and bong lop drills ,which I introduce in the second lesson, I spend the most time on mechanics, circles and triangles.

Latest Discussions