A must-read for MAists...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check out the following typically eye-opening and rational, sensible, mystification-free look at early karate and what Itosu was really saying, by Iain Abernethy. It's characteristic of Abernethy's carefulness that he didn't just accept any of the standard translations of Itosu's stylistically rather difficult 1908 letter to the Okinawan school prefecture; he commissioned a new translation by someone who makes a specialty of working with original documents (IA had scans of the actual letter itself supplied to him). First class work, and a really important take on what was going on at the dawn of 'world karate'...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder how many other important documents have similar stories. Find a different, perhaps unbiased, translater and watch how the meaning changes. Good find. I'm going to pass this on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think even with unbiased translators it can be difficult translating documents. Look at the differences we have in American English and British English! If I said I was going out for a fag you'd all have a fit, likewise if I said our fight night went like a bomb, you'd assume it was a failure when I mean it went brilliantly. Add a totally different culture and a very different language written in different characters and maybe a biased translator or ones just struggling with either language and I'd say there were bound to be problems.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
He Exile,

I forgot about Iains website. Thanks for the reminder. I'm not really into the historicals as much anymore.

The real wealth of knowledge on the website is his articles section. It contains a treasure trove of info on Kata, sparring, Bunkai, martial arts philosophies and other assorted goodies.

It's well worth the time to dig in. Enjoy!

-Marc-

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He Exile,

I forgot about Iains website. Thanks for the reminder. I'm not really into the historicals as much anymore.

The real wealth of knowledge on the website is his articles section. It contains a treasure trove of info on Kata, sparring, Bunkai, martial arts philosophies and other assorted goodies.

It's well worth the time to dig in. Enjoy!

-Marc-

Absolutely!

I have to say, my own view of the relevance of MA history to MA practice is due for the most part to the way Abernethy connects the two, showing that knowledge of past practice and intentions can inform current understanding of kata, bunkai and training for realistic use in important ways...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing I like about Iain Abernethy is that he is down to earth and practical about all aspects of karate. He is the epitome of a down to earth Northerner, no fuss, no song and dance, simply getting on with the job. Rather than argue over what may or not be original thoughts and words he gets the best unbiased copy of them he can.
Sign up for his newsletter too, oh and buy the DVDs, not only are they very good instructionals you get excellent service, when there was a slight problem with my order his wife phoned me to sort it out and we ended up chatting, kids, training and all sorts. A lovely family too!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thank you for that, that was very interesting.

I am not a Karate guy but that is a good read.

My little exposure to translation of things Chinese to English has shown that it is not easy and you come up with things like “Makiwara” directly translating to “Sheaf of Straw” and in some cases that little issue can change things drastically and really mess up the meaning

Nice translation. :asian:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The thing I like about Iain Abernethy is that he is down to earth and practical about all aspects of karate. He is the epitome of a down to earth Northerner, no fuss, no song and dance, simply getting on with the job. Rather than argue over what may or not be original thoughts and words he gets the best unbiased copy of them he can.
Sign up for his newsletter too, oh and buy the DVDs, not only are they very good instructionals you get excellent service, when there was a slight problem with my order his wife phoned me to sort it out and we ended up chatting, kids, training and all sorts. A lovely family too!

Unbelievable. He certainly is one of a kind. I once saw a video of him doing a break. He made a point of saying that no one should stand there and concentrate and warm up. No. He asked the cameraman, "Are you ready?" Then --> BAM!

I only wish that he concentrated on TKD instead, but that is asking too much. Everything that I see him involved in seems to be just top notch.

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes, I love that totally straightforward manner, none of this high-and-mighty Great One Deigning To Enlighten The Groundlings that you get so many times from people who expect their awe-inspiring rank to substitute for clear explanation, good reasoning and broad knowledge. IA's exactly the opposite: he's telling you what he believes, why he believes it, and what it can do for you, and you get the sense that he'd be quite willing to change his ideas if you can make a convincing case or turn up new evidence. Never a word about his own dan ranking, never any of this `I've been doing this for thirty years so you just better believe what I have to say' type of self-inflation. He makes his case and challenges you to think about it. And that basic niceness that you allude to comes through in all of his stuff: his books and articles, DVDs, his newsletters and his podcasts. As newGuy says, one of a kind... though my impression is that a number of the British MA people I've read are similarly down-to-earth and level-headed.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for that, that was very interesting.

I am not a Karate guy but that is a good read.

My little exposure to translation of things Chinese to English has shown that it is not easy and you come up with things like “Makiwara” directly translating to “Sheaf of Straw” and in some cases that little issue can change things drastically and really mess up the meaning

Nice translation. :asian:

Hey XS, doesn't the beginning of that article remind you of Taiji and Yang style? Just change children with old and sick people.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's a good move to get the newsletter. I saw this there. Lots of food for thought. Thanks for the reminder, ex.

If I recall, he also gives you a couple of free ebooks when you first subscribe.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice one exile.

The version I have reads:

1. It is not intended to be used against a single assailant but instead as a way of avoiding a fight should one be confronted by a villain or ruffian.

This never seemd quite right.

It is not intended to be used against a single assailant but instead as a way of avoiding injury by using the hands and feet should one by any chance be confronted by a villain or ruffian.

Much better.

Latest Discussions