"A Modern History of TKD"

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've read this document and have some views as to the particular kind of `history' that it documents. But I'd rather wait to talk about till you've had a chance to read it through, Tom—would rather not prejudice or skew your perspective before you've had a chance to read it from your own point of view.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tom I'm with exile on this please read it and then we can talk about it, many people views will defer depending on your particular beliefs.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tom I'm with exile on this please read it and then we can talk about it, many people views will defer depending on your particular beliefs.

Thanks Terry.

I've read it & pm'ed exile with my 1st thoughts on it. It certainly differs from Burdick's article. It is certainly skewed & isn't favorable to Gen. Choi or GM Uhm. However, I must plead ignorance as to the issues where it goes out of bounds. So, what are your thoughts?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what other people thought but when I read through it, it felt like I was reading the minutes to a rather spiteful board meeting, not the history of anything. Just my impression.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what other people thought but when I read through it, it felt like I was reading the minutes to a rather spiteful board meeting, not the history of anything. Just my impression.

I can certainly side with your commits, but don't you feel strange that everyone from that era has a different story about what happened and why?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have time to read through 40+ pages right now... but I do agree with Terry; history is often widely different depending on who reports it.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can certainly side with your commits, but don't you feel strange that everyone from that era has a different story about what happened and why?

Its quite clear that there is a lot of vested interest being presented in this history. These people have a lot to gain from having their specific view of TKD's origins and development considered accurate and correct.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its quite clear that there is a lot of vested interest being presented in this history. These people have a lot to gain from having their specific view of TKD's origins and development considered accurate and correct.

Credibility should be the number one concern with all of them not who is right but wht is right.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Credibility should be the number one concern with all of them not who is right but wht is right.

If only that were the case. Unfortunately, histories seem to be written, not to preserve what happened and why, but to demonstrate how it happened because of whom. When Stalin came to power in the Soviet Union he had histories re-written, and even paintings modified, to present himself as more than the tiny bit player he had been during the revolution.

TKD could benefit greatly from having someone not associated with the art write a history. There will still be some bias, but it will be kept to minimum.

By the way, this history was one of the most boring I have ever read, and I've read ships logs from 18th century crossing of the Pacific in which nothing happens.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If only that were the case. Unfortunately, histories seem to be written, not to preserve what happened and why, but to demonstrate how it happened because of whom. When Stalin came to power in the Soviet Union he had histories re-written, and even paintings modified, to present himself as more than the tiny bit player he had been during the revolution.

TKD could benefit greatly from having someone not associated with the art write a history. There will still be some bias, but it will be kept to minimum.

By the way, this history was one of the most boring I have ever read, and I've read ships logs from 18th century crossing of the Pacific in which nothing happens.

Your wisdom is only over shadow by your scarcasim

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've read it a few times, the one thing I do like is how it shows the original kwan's students, assuming it's accurate it is a nice 'who they were' document. That's about all I get from it though. Glen Uesugi's capitalization of the Surname sometimes gets old, but it does help to quickly spot them in English.

Latest Discussions