The thought of poomsae

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To each and evryone of us out there whether it is WTF or ITF or Joon Rhee system have ourmoments in poomsae. What has been your proudest moment and what has been your worst moment ever?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My proudest moment was on my fourth degree test and when GM Kim said that was the best that he has ever seen me do them.

The worst moment was back in 1982 at a tournament and was doing Koryo and absolutely forgot the moves and just stood there when the head ref. ask if I was alright I just leaned over and said sir forgive me but I do not know what to do next and they all started to laugh at me. I believe they tought I was kidding but I frooze like a glass of water in a sub zero fridge.

Papio

White Belt
Reaction score
Guess that would be my first competition, as a 10th gup I was only required to do the most basic Saju Jirugi but I must have done all the technicalities flawlessly because I took gold against one 9th gup and two 8th gups without losing a single judge vote to my competitors.

My worst moment was just recently when I was paired up with a blue belt female similar weight to myself and asked to do the combination right round house, left round house, pushing front kick, my front kick took her right off her feet and slammed her into a wall, felt like a pile oh ox droppings after that.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My proudest moment was on my fourth degree test and when GM Kim said that was the best that he has ever seen me do them.

The worst moment was back in 1982 at a tournament and was doing Koryo and absolutely forgot the moves and just stood there when the head ref. ask if I was alright I just leaned over and said sir forgive me but I do not know what to do next and they all started to laugh at me. I believe they tought I was kidding but I frooze like a glass of water in a sub zero fridge.

most tournament competitors have been there terry, to one extent or another.

what did that moment teach you? people should look at instances like those as learning lessons.

practice, practice, practice. repetition builds muscle memory, muscle memory in motion builds foundation. foundation is key.

i'd bet all the money in the world that you learned from that situation that day, and it made you a better martial artist.

cheers!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
most tournament competitors have been there terry, to one extent or another.

what did that moment teach you? people should look at instances like those as learning lessons.

practice, practice, practice. repetition builds muscle memory, muscle memory in motion builds foundation. foundation is key.

i'd bet all the money in the world that you learned from that situation that day, and it made you a better martial artist.

cheers!

Yes snapper it did and even today I look back at it as a moment of mistake that can happen when one does not properly train themself so I always will remember to train hard everyday.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes snapper it did and even today I look back at it as a moment of mistake that can happen when one does not properly train themself so I always will remember to train hard everyday.

snapper...?

geez, i gotta change my screen name...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Neither one of these are necessarily with a competition, although the second one has happened in a tourney:

My worst moment was for my brown belt test. I had to be able to do all forms, from white belt to purple- a total of 10. Well, I had been practicing each and everyone of them RELIGIOUSLY! However, when I got up there, and was told to "x" form, and I started out just fine... Until I started to do another one! I think my problem was, that I started to "think" about the form, instead of just doing it. Luckily, though, I was able to start it again!

My best? When I get that special rush, that feeling you get when you just know you did something right. Your pulse is high, you're out of breath (not from lack of breathing, either :) ), and you just feel good! This happened at another belt test of mine, and the instructor just nodded and smiled (like a thumbs up thing).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To each and evryone of us out there whether it is WTF or ITF or Joon Rhee system have ourmoments in poomsae. What has been your proudest moment and what has been your worst moment ever?

For me, both my best and worst tul experience are the same:

When I was testing for III Dan, in front of a board composed of 4 VII and VIII Dans, including then Master Choi, Hung Jwa (now GM Choi), I was a guest at another instructor's dojang. His floor was covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting - kind of like institutional carpeting, but with a rougher texture. I was doing fine until I, along with a couple of other students testing for III Dan, were called up to perform the 3 tuls that were new at our rank. While performing a movement that included a stamping motion, somehow, I caught my foot on the carpet, and my foot folded over - with the result that instead of stamping on my sole, I stamped on the top of my foot... and promptly fell over. Then I stood up, resumed the stance I should have been in, and finished the tul, and the rest of the testing, despite what turned out to be a rather badly sprained ankle.