A few questions on Silat

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As you can tell by my username, I am interested in Silat. Maybe I was slightly preemptive with the name considering I don't know all too much about the art yet, but that's what I'm trying to do now.

First off, Is this an accurate representation of Silat? I mean the techniques used, nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2py-S8tcng&feature=kp

Second off, I know Silat is a rather offensive art, but does it use techniques such as Jabs (Boxing) to set up? I enjoy boxing a lot and combinations are my speciality, so although I fight to KO, I find Jabs to be very effective when you put sufficient power into them.

Thirdly, what do you think of Bassan? Is it a stamp of Pencak Silat, or was it something that they happened to show in the link above. What about Jurus? These forms seem to be very unique and used for varying situations, so that looks appealing.

Fourthly, How big is this Sports Version of Silat shown in the video, as it seems quite appealing to me, especially with the points system. Additionally, does Silat follow any spiritual beliefs on the whole, as it seems many of the masters follow black magic, which I don't really consider to be too spiritual. The spiritual aspect of MAs in general interests me.

Fifthly, How would one prepare to do Silat? Would training balance like shown in the video be effective? If you travel to the right place, can you do mountain training (Travelling to Indonesia).

Finally, this is a bit unrelated, but I'm sure somebody will be able to help. Is there a counter to somebody running at you with a Rugby Tackle which doesn't involve striking? One of my friends, who is currently much stronger than me, runs at me with a rugby tackle as a joke, and it's starting to piss me off. Instead of telling him verbally, I think turning it around would be a much better way of doing so. I don't really like running away from it because that doesn't solve anything. If I don't, he will always wait until he's close before grabbing and then I go down for sure, so dodging it isn't easy. Is there any way to turn it around reliably on the floor, or is this very subjective?

Thanks for all the answers. By the well, will skills from my current martial arts, Boxing and an Aikido/Judo/Jujutsu hybrid, translate well?

Thanks again.

Matt.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Finally, this is a bit unrelated, but I'm sure somebody will be able to help. Is there a counter to somebody running at you with a Rugby Tackle which doesn't involve striking? One of my friends, who is currently much stronger than me, runs at me with a rugby tackle as a joke, and it's starting to piss me off. Instead of telling him verbally, I think turning it around would be a much better way of doing so.

Sprawl

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As you can tell by my username, I am interested in Silat. Maybe I was slightly preemptive with the name considering I don't know all too much about the art yet, but that's what I'm trying to do now.

First off, Is this an accurate representation of Silat? I mean the techniques used, nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2py-S8tcng&feature=kp
nope, it just one of hundreds of systems found in blanket term of silat. both in techniques and philosophy.

Second off, I know Silat is a rather offensive art, but does it use techniques such as Jabs (Boxing) to set up? I enjoy boxing a lot and combinations are my speciality, so although I fight to KO, I find Jabs to be very effective when you put sufficient power into them.
do you mean like this?
or using fast hand movement to destabilise your opponent?

Thirdly, what do you think of Bassan? Is it a stamp of Pencak Silat, or was it something that they happened to show in the link above. What about Jurus? These forms seem to be very unique and used for varying situations, so that looks appealing.
bassan in sport perspective has no real use, while in traditional sense, it is more like sleight of hand to keep the opponent guessing.
jurus in other hand is the visual representative of a kaidah (literaly means concept/rule of thumb/law of action). so every one can execute jurus differently as long as it is not straying from the concept the jurus originated. under jurus there is kembangan, this is the application side of jurus. each jurus can have unlimited number of kembangan, what limit it is only our imagination.

Fourthly, How big is this Sports Version of Silat shown in the video, as it seems quite appealing to me, especially with the points system.
please watch this one hour long of documentary of world silat championship in thailand.

Additionally, does Silat follow any spiritual beliefs on the whole, as it seems many of the masters follow black magic, which I don't really consider to be too spiritual. The spiritual aspect of MAs in general interests me.
magic in silat? hmmm, if you believe in it, it works, if you don't it wont...
we have non magical but more cultural ritual/philosophy though, but most system gives leeway if its against the student believe.

Fifthly, How would one prepare to do Silat? Would training balance like shown in the video be effective? If you travel to the right place, can you do mountain training (Travelling to Indonesia).
how to prepare for silat? be open minded, empty your glass before attending class.
balance training? the system of silat i currently training, put emphasis in balance. constantly in balance is half the fight, the other half is destroying your opponent balance.
for travelling to learn something, like training camp? it is hard to say, but generally silat is a school of though, concept, so a training camp that only taugh jurus and a limited number of kembangan won't do you much good. if you want to train do it at least for several months intensive training, then you may grasp a little of what are the concepts behind a technique.
but if you want to still come here, i'll be happy to gives you pointer...

Finally, this is a bit unrelated, but I'm sure somebody will be able to help. Is there a counter to somebody running at you with a Rugby Tackle which doesn't involve striking? One of my friends, who is currently much stronger than me, runs at me with a rugby tackle as a joke, and it's starting to piss me off. Instead of telling him verbally, I think turning it around would be a much better way of doing so. I don't really like running away from it because that doesn't solve anything. If I don't, he will always wait until he's close before grabbing and then I go down for sure, so dodging it isn't easy. Is there any way to turn it around reliably on the floor, or is this very subjective?
sprawl is the easiest one. as for silat techniques: sapuan/scissor kick on the ground, high risk move. or do like gerak saka video above. or you may learn something from this (you can combine it with sprawl):

fyi. this is just my limited personal opinion, so please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator: