Using Silat, how would you handle...

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
someone with good street fighting experience, or bossing experience. They go in for quick jabs and that big right lead/hook.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately with jkd/kali/silat

but I'm really curious as to what a pure silat mind would use. I know it's hard to say what you would actually do for most of you experienced users do what comes natural. But surely you could at least attempt to give some suggestions to like a jab jab cross

Cause it would seem difficult to get into silat position to someone who throws strikes and would probably back up when you got in to close to their liking. what I considered is, you simply move in on them. If they do strike while backing up, you would be ready for this and using whatever entry you choose and if they hit while they are backing up they will loose balance or be way off guard.

btw, I have this introduction to madjaphit silat coming in from the insosanto site. I can't wait cause I am really obsessed with silat lately and am not getting enough exposure at my jkd place to fufill my desire.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's something we revisit regularly, especially when there's a good boxer or Thai boxer in class. As you can expect, there's no one technique that magically solves everything and all the usual disclaimers.

That said, here are some things that happen a lot...

We learn the other guy's range to stay outside it until he moves in closer or it's time for to move in. If you're going to get clocked at least walk in there knowing when you're going to get hit :)

Some of it will be very familiar to boxers. Cup the jab instead of trying to block it. One guy has a favorite trick that discourages that second jab. He uses the parrying hand to guide the jab into his other elbow. Follow it back in. Since we're more comfortable in close that means the hand goes first, then the body.

Hit and move in. A well-thrown punch of your own can cover or cut off one of his punching lines. Use that to bridge (just to use a JKD term) so that you can get into range for your big guns - the elbow, knee and head - and set up for a throw or standup grappling.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I can add, it seems to me ,that would be a good occasion for kicking. Silat has an arsenal of powerfull kicks IT IS WRITTEN ,never box a boxer ., make them play your game.kick and stick. that's what I say

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
if they reveal their style its easier but never underestimate unknown skill. everyone's a world champion boxer, an expert grappler a gung fu master etc.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
pretty solid information everyone.

I think if it's a close quarter in a room, "sticking" would be applicable since there is not much room to move around and kick.

Latest Discussions