a few of the differences between the habits of the rich and the poor.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
with thanks to my friend Stretch for this

---------------------------------

Tom Corley, on his website RichHabitsInstitute.com, outlines a few of the differences between the habits of the rich and the poor.

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.

2. 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.

3. 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically four days a week. 23% of poor do this.

4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% of poor people.

5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% of poor.

6. 63% of wealthy parents make their children read two or more non-fiction books a month vs. 3% of poor.

7. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% of poor.

8. 80% of wealthy make Happy Birthday calls vs. 11% of poor.

9. 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% of poor.

10. 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs. 2% of poor.

11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% of poor.

12. 79% of wealthy network five hours or more each month vs. 16% of poor.

13. 67% of wealthy watch one hour or less of TV every day vs. 23% of poor.

14. 6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% of poor.

15. 44% of wealthy wake up three hours before work starts vs. 3% of poor.

16. 74% of wealthy teach good daily success habits to their children vs. 1% of poor.

17. 84% of wealthy believe good habits create opportunity luck vs. 4% of poor.

18. 76% of wealthy believe bad habits create detrimental luck vs. 9% of poor.

19. 86% of wealthy believe in lifelong educational self-improvement vs. 5% of poor.

20. 86% of wealthy love to read vs. 26% of poor.​

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
15. 44% of wealthy wake up three hours before work starts vs. 3% of poor.

:lfao:

do they do that when they have to go in at 5AM?
I mean, it's easy when you gotta clock in at 8 or later....
:roflmao:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lfao:

do they do that when they have to go in at 5AM?
I mean, it's easy when you gotta clock in at 8 or later....
:roflmao:

I think most wealthy folks don't have to worry about shift work ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good list, but there's a couple that I wonder about. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% of poor? That is A LOT of volunteering, esp. for a kid -- that totals to 120 hours a year. Even with all the volunteering I did at the park, I didn't break 200 hours of volunteer time on the books.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm so glad to see how the wealthy are simply better human beings than the poor are, in every way possible.

ayup, wealth gives one many many advantages and access to resources that the poor do not have. And wealth does tend to perpetuate wealth, as does poverty tend to perpetuate poverty.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
4 of 20 pertain to reading and 2 of 20 pertain to watching TV. Are these interdependent? Ie; are unsuccessful readers more likely to be poor due to less education and more likely to watch TV than read for entertainment and self education?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm so glad to see how the wealthy are simply better human beings than the poor are, in every way possible.

ayup, wealth gives one many many advantages and access to resources that the poor do not have. And wealth does tend to perpetuate wealth, as does poverty tend to perpetuate poverty.
Ok, sorry, this post was a whiles back, but not sure about your first line unless you saying so in jest. The list is not stating that wealthy are better human beings, I read it as indicating the habits and actions that are likely in part to contribute to one being succesful, wealthy and to retain or grow such wealth (and/or success), rather than being unsuccessful and thus potentially "poor" (in financial terms at least, and possibly in life experience terms also).
(But you are right that it is easier to make money when you already got some capital.)
I was caught short after karate just this week and it was late at night when I was heading home. I pulled into the kfc joint and there was a pretty long que of folks. I noticed quite a few getting family meals that were ringing in at $30 or more. I got the feeling that for many this was the staple way of feeding the family or themselves. I don't give two hoots about what people choose to eat on a regular basis but for thirty bucks I can get some great quality produce and feed the family for a good three nights or more if not going heavy on the meat/fish, think of the bags of rice and staple foods you can get with that. Bad habits in my view, looking for the easy way and often costing you more, often this may be people that have not been passed "life skills" by their folks and in turn passing this down the line. But that chain can be broken if anyone wants to and I have seen this done many times.
Books (libraries); healthy, relatively well priced quality food (malls/supermarkets); time put into educating your own kids, etc do not strike me as resources only available to the wealthy...
Carol is right re the volunteering, that seems way out of wack.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder what is considered wealthy? It's all relative.

That is the truth of it. It's kinda like doing weights or body building, just when you think you're king of the gym some guy walks in and uses your weights for a high rep warm up : )
That list probably applies to a lot of middle class folks, what ever that phrase is meant to encapuslate.

Latest Discussions