A baton is ineffective

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No. I will still argue that 11 youtube videos are a terrible sampling to make such a broad decision. A baton is a tool. The first few times you pick up any tool it is likely not going to work very well for you. It takes a lot of practice to get proficient with it. Then start adding in all the other factors in an altercation. Such as proficiency with the baton, physical attributes, your experience, attackers experience, your intent, attackers intent, attackers mental/physical state, reaction time, etc...
Two circles on a white board and a dozen videos are not enough to convince me.

***Edit***I have used a baton (PR-24)successfully many times. They are a good deterrent and restraint tool if you know how to use them. They can be cumbersome if you have no backup. I have found myself in a bit of a stand-off situation a few times where I had one or both hand busy with the baton, making it hard to apply cuffs.

So you are or were a police officer? Would your joint locks and pressure points and control hold without batons have worked as well? In the first video he is talking about grappling with a baton and how a person does not get much advantage with a baton. Like they would not be able to do a hold with a baton that they could not do without a baton.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My biggest issue is if you dont practice it why are you posting like you do? Second you act like you cant just buy this stuff on amazon. It is not 2005 anymore the internet is a great place to buy stuff.

I am not in need of an instructor I already have a wing chun instructor. Already knew that about dit da jow. My questions on the japanese and muay thai traditions was a bit rhetorical. I am pretty sure they dont use dit da jow.

Here is the first 2 lines taken from this wikipedia entry on dit da jow.

Dit da jow - Wikipedia

Dit da jow is a common Chinese liniment used as a folk remedy to supposedly heal external injuries, such as bruises or sore muscles. There is no scientific evidence that it works as stated.

Does dit da jow work any better than tylenol and ben gay or other over the counter stuff? I am going to go with no.
So you know better? Ok, keep doing what you are doing. Send me a message and let me know how you are doing when you are typing with your nose.

Best of luck to you.

As my old scuba instructor used to say, you give them a book and they just eat the pages...

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So you know better? Ok, keep doing what you are doing. Send me a message and let me know how you are doing when you are typing with your nose.

Best of luck to you.

As my old scuba instructor used to say, you give them a book and they just eat the pages...

I take it you don't use speech-to-text? I use that all the time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am pretty much just training my right hand. My left hand is being left alone.

You might want to stop that five knuckle shuffle with one of these.
Handcone.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a video of me hitting my leg with a baton 3 times. I hit my leg 3 times making another video right before this one but I did not like how that turned out. This is why I feel batons are ineffective. They are only good for training. If I did this same thing with a knife I would be in serious trouble.

Anyways enjoy.

Kung fu leg hit.mp4

I unfortunately cannot see your video. I can tell you I carried a nightstick as an MP in the Marine Corps. If I hit you with it, you would do more than say ow. You could say it is ineffective, but the many chowerheads I was forced to subdue with it would probably argue otherwise. But hey, lots of people I apprehended would later claim they beat me up. Funny how they ended up in handcuffs anyway though, huh?

Reaction score
So how do you know that you would be able to do this? Maybe I am "drinking the kool-aid" but I find this hard to believe.

I believe I have said this before on here. But as long as I dont die tomorrow and live till I am 60 or such. I will be proud if I have arthritis and such due to iron palm. Because I am a martial artist and a warrior.

:facepalm: Take it from someone that has arthritis in the knees and spine...you have no idea what you are wishing for. There are mornings I can barely move and walking down or up stairs is misery. Go ask some of the older guys that used to bang on a makiwara for years on end if they would trade hard knuckles for the ability to hold a fork to feed themselves.