99.5% sure I am done doing Wing Chun...

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
...sort of anyways, if you count June Fan as Wing Chun. I visited a school about a mile away from home and was really thrilled with what I saw and more importantly, the instructor. I have been really missing kickboxing lately as well as grappling. This school does June Fan/Kickboxing, JKD Grappling (Erik Paulson Combat Submission Wrestling (CSW) and BJJ I think), and Kali/weapons. He is Inosanto certified and this seems to have elements of everything that I like and much more physically demanding...something my Wing Chun class does not have, unless we're practicing Escrima. The JKD school seems like a happy medium between Wing Chun principles and kickboxing...which is a great thing because I am familiar with kickboxing...Kali, which I really like FMA's...and the grappling, another aspect that I miss.

I am not disgruntled or doubting Wing Chun. My instructor's (plural) skills testify that it does. It boils down to time and logistics mainly. We only have class 2 days a week and now with winter here, and 25-30 miles through the bottom of the Mid Michigan snow belt, I end up missing days from bad weather...not to mention I am a midnight shifter and cut it very close time wise getting to work on class days! LOL On off days, I have nobody to touch hands with, leaving me with SLT, chain punching, and stepping. I just see the JKD as a better fit for me at the present time.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...sort of anyways, if you count June Fan as Wing Chun... I just see the JKD as a better fit for me at the present time.

You ain't done with WC...you're just broadening your horizons. I'll bet your WC sifu will understand your situation and give you his blessing. Then, when and if the situation is right, you'll take your WC further. Heck, look at me. I was away from it for about 16 years. But, as my sifu says, I never really left it and it never totally left me. Good luck at your new school.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats great I'm glad you have found a place that is convenient for you and fits your needs , sounds like a school i would probably go to myself if i lived in your country.

At the risk of using a tired old cliche at the end of the day the best training for you is at the place where you will enjoy it and be able to get there on a regular consistant basis .

We have to live in the real world with bills ,mortgages ,high priced fuel to pay and if it takes that much hassle to get to a school that only trains twice a week and might jeopardise your employment by getting there late , well maybe it isn't really worth it .

At least with the new place you will be saving money on petrol , hell if its only a mile away you could jog there and back , consider it part of your conditioning .

Anyway you could still drop into the old place occasionally just to get your chi sau fix , they might even do chi sau at the new place . I am happy for you mate , don't forget to keep in touch and tell us all how your going in the new school .

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My base is in WC but since then I've broaden out due to *ahem* circumstance$ and hopefully one of these days I'll return to it... I've a couple friends here who are studying it so I know it's here in my town. When I've got the $ituation right then I'll look into it and come here to know what are the right questions to ask. :D

Your sifu was right... your base art will never leave you. Don't call it all done.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very Interesting. I am enjoying you guys post.
Thank you, but I'm sure you've got still some good stuff left to contribute as well for a while yet. Looking forward to it. New contributors help keep MT alive and interesting. :asian:

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
let me guess your sitituation is finacial right?

lol?

Anyway I am crosstraining in Tai Chi. But really its because they also do Wing Chun as well as Tai Chi. At the end of each class they do Chi Sau or light sparring. So I go to increase my Wing Chun Skills and get some Chi Kung exercise as well as a little Tai Chi.

Thank you, but I'm sure you've got still some good stuff left to contribute as well for a while yet. Looking forward to it. New contributors help keep MT alive and interesting. :asian:

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
You ain't done with WC...you're just broadening your horizons. I'll bet your WC sifu will understand your situation and give you his blessing. Then, when and if the situation is right, you'll take your WC further. Heck, look at me. I was away from it for about 16 years. But, as my sifu says, I never really left it and it never totally left me. Good luck at your new school.

Thanks Geezer. I don't plan on staying gone from it, but do to work and family obligations and the ridiculous winter driving conditions to get to Sifu's house...and I can only do so much Poon Sau (Sp.?) before I go banana's LOL.

I love Wing Chun, but when I watched the JKD class, it seems like something worth exploring. They do all the things I wish I could take individually all in one system (Wing Chun, Kickboxing, grappling, and Kali/weapons), but have it broken into a well organized training regiment and curriculum....and they have a good focus on conditioning.

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats great I'm glad you have found a place that is convenient for you and fits your needs , sounds like a school i would probably go to myself if i lived in your country.

At the risk of using a tired old cliche at the end of the day the best training for you is at the place where you will enjoy it and be able to get there on a regular consistant basis .

We have to live in the real world with bills ,mortgages ,high priced fuel to pay and if it takes that much hassle to get to a school that only trains twice a week and might jeopardise your employment by getting there late , well maybe it isn't really worth it .

At least with the new place you will be saving money on petrol , hell if its only a mile away you could jog there and back , consider it part of your conditioning .

Anyway you could still drop into the old place occasionally just to get your chi sau fix , they might even do chi sau at the new place . I am happy for you mate , don't forget to keep in touch and tell us all how your going in the new school .

That's another thing I like. I like to run before class....gets me in the zone.

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
let me guess your sitituation is finacial right?

lol?

Anyway I am crosstraining in Tai Chi. But really its because they also do Wing Chun as well as Tai Chi. At the end of each class they do Chi Sau or light sparring. So I go to increase my Wing Chun Skills and get some Chi Kung exercise as well as a little Tai Chi.

No, not at all financial...Wing Chun is twenty bucks per month cheaper! LOL It is all logistics and boredom. Somewhere along the line I grew bored with it and it has me lacking in motivation....then came the snow.:barf:

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
So tell me about your JKD how does an average class run?

What do you guys normally do?

I haven't started yet, just visited. I'm starting in a week or two. From what I have seen of the June Fan/Kickboxing class, they start with bowing in, jumprope, then stretch, goto shadow boxing, calisthenics, then move on to drills involving punching, kicking, and wing chun deflections....lots of them. They did chain punching and straightblast drills on the mits as well as using deflections from Wing Chun. They did a lot of different combos and moved the class along nicely. I haven't been for the grappling class or Kali class yet. After the class, he was helping his students with thier questions. It was high intensity. At some point, I would like to do this and Wing Chun, but only time for one.