80s Music Johnny Is Stuck In

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What service does it air on if not YouTube? I saw the first two free episodes and was really enjoying it, but not enough to pay for YouTube Premium. If it's moved, I've got my plans for the weekend!
Right now it's no where they have no platform for season 3. But both seasons been released on DVD

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well no it's certainly not a children's show. It shows alcoholism, drink driving, drug abuse, sexual innuendos, racism and pretty much every swear word out there.

Plus the UK DVD rating for the first movie is a 15. The only childish one was the Jackie chan version

You never grew up in the era of the Auntie jack show then?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well the Cobra Kai series has excessive alcohol use, violence, profanity, and drug abuse so its not exactly a children's series.

Anyway, earlier I said we could talk about music. I really like the music from the 80s that Cobra Kai makes reference to but I also like some of the rock and pop music of today. Today you've got pop stars such as Ariana, Selena, and Billie Eilish.

You're country, the UK, from what I know is well known for having some of the best rock and pop music. Speaking of pop stars from your country, Charli XCX is one of the best. It would be cool in Cobra Kai if Johnny got into her music so he wouldn't be so stuck with just 80s music.
its incumbent on old people like me, to tell young people like you, that '' modern music is terrible compared to the music of my young days, it was always so. and to be fair a lot of tunes from the 70s 80s 90 etal were very poor musically, but mixed in there were some absolute gems

but possibly for the first time in history this is close to being a fact, something that is reflected by the appreciation of young people of old peoples music and sales figures for older albums and greatest hit albums, darkside of the moon, bad and the eagles greatest hits are still shifting units that most modern artists can only dream of and im wondering if someone will still be blasting out ariana, Selena, and Billie Eilish. in half a century ?

anyway im currently marvelling at the musical genius of steely dan, so back to the music

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why all the haters here? @PhotonGuy likes what he likes, just as everyone else does.

I think Youtube isn’t going to carry it because they’re getting away from paid service and series. They had several series and now have Cobra Kai and one other. Rumor is Netflix and Hulu have been bidding on it for a while now.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed the two episodes that I saw. It's tough to reboot an iconic movie and I think they gave it a fun twist, despite the glaring absence of Ms. Shue.

Not super-interested in it for martial arts content, just like the plot twist.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
its incumbent on old people like me, to tell young people like you, that '' modern music is terrible compared to the music of my young days, it was always so. and to be fair a lot of tunes from the 70s 80s 90 etal were very poor musically, but mixed in there were some absolute gems

but possibly for the first time in history this is close to being a fact, something that is reflected by the appreciation of young people of old peoples music and sales figures for older albums and greatest hit albums, darkside of the moon, bad and the eagles greatest hits are still shifting units that most modern artists can only dream of and im wondering if someone will still be blasting out ariana, Selena, and Billie Eilish. in half a century ?

anyway im currently marvelling at the musical genius of steely dan, so back to the music
Darkside of the moon, I take it you mean the Pink Floyd album, they're food. The Eagles are too country for me so I don't really care for them. I do like the Philadelphia Eagles though!

So you obviously don't care for Ariana, Selena, or Billie Eilish, to each their own, but you don't like Charli XCX? How could you not?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why all the haters here? @PhotonGuy likes what he likes, just as everyone else does.

I think Youtube isn’t going to carry it because they’re getting away from paid service and series. They had several series and now have Cobra Kai and one other. Rumor is Netflix and Hulu have been bidding on it for a while now.
Most likely Netflix will pick it up which would be a good thing, they've got Stranger Things.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoyed the two episodes that I saw. It's tough to reboot an iconic movie and I think they gave it a fun twist, despite the glaring absence of Ms. Shue.

Not super-interested in it for martial arts content, just like the plot twist.
None of the actors in the series have much of a background in the martial arts except for William Zabka who plays Johnny, he took up Tang Soo Do after he did his first role of Johnny in the first Karate Kid movie. Ron Thomas who plays Bobby also has a background in the martial arts although he only appears in one episode.

When they made the movie back in 1984 some of the actors were heavily into the martial arts and some weren't. Most notably Darryl Vidal who played a small role as a competitor at the tournament really was big into martial arts in real life. He was behind much of the scenes and he invented the crane kick for use in the movie. He also was a stunt double for Mr Miyagi.

Anyway seeing how season 2 ends, its quite obvious Ms. Shue will be in season 3.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So in the Youtube series, actually it is no longer a Youtube series but that's how it started out, Cobra Kai, the main character Johnny from the original Karate Kid movie is stuck in the 80s, he's stuck with 80s music an all.

Anyway, I do think some 80s music is really good and Johnny has a good taste in music and so does his student Miguel after looking up 80s music and discovering Ratt, but I like the music of today too. It seems lots of Cobra Kai fans, at least the ones I know, don't like some of today's really good hits and really good artists.

I hear ya, bro. And I know what point your making.

And if everybody liked the exact same music there would probably only be one song.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And as for Bruce Lee haters...

Go F yourselves.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Darkside of the moon, I take it you mean the Pink Floyd album, they're food. The Eagles are too country for me so I don't really care for them. I do like the Philadelphia Eagles though!

So you obviously don't care for Ariana, Selena, or Billie Eilish, to each their own, but you don't like Charli XCX? How could you not?
i fear you may be missing my point, its not that you should like them, its that people who wernt even born when they were released are buying them and a lot more classic albums as well, , because ,,,,,,,, well billy just isnt that good, in fact she is terrible, well that thing where she was a demon was terrible, at least Ariana is nice to look at

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i fear you may be missing my point, its not that you should like them, its that people who wernt even born when they were released are buying them and a lot more classic albums as well, , because ,,,,,,,, well billy just isnt that good, in fact she is terrible, well that thing where she was a demon was terrible, at least Ariana is nice to look at
Yes and no. Beastie Boys’ Licensed to Ill came out when I was in 5th or 6th grade. I was all over it. My mother said they’re horrible and will be one hit wonders.

Metallica’s world premiere video for One was when I was in 7th grade. I remember seeing the world premiere with my parents. I’d been a fan for a few years prior. Same thing - horrible one hit wonders. Both of them though that.

They somehow missed the mark on both of them.

IMO the benchmark we set for music is the stuff we grew up listening to. They’re typically the best and most other stuff comes and goes. My parents grew up listening to Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Doors... stuff like that. Most of it was well enough before I was born, but I grew up listening to it because they played it quite a bit.

That stuff, along with 90s grunge is my benchmark, as I listened to that in high school and college. IMO there hasn’t been a really noteworthy movement in music since the Seattle grunge movement. But that’s most likely my own ignorance and bias.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear ya, bro. And I know what point your making.

And if everybody liked the exact same music there would probably only be one song.
If everybody liked the exact same music as me there would be many songs, because I like many songs.

BTW, Charli xcx ROCKS!!! And so does Billy Idol.

And so does Hulk Hogan's theme song.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you don't like Billie, you think Ariana is nice to look at, but you haven't said anything about how you feel about Charli XCX. She is good, if you ask me.

Boom clap the sound of my heart the beat goes on and on and on and on and boom clap you make me feel good come on to me come on to me now.

Speaking of Charli, I wonder if she has a white beagle called Snoopy.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
And as for Bruce Lee haters...

Go F yourselves.
Don’t hate Bruce lee. But he’s very overrated. People act like he can beat heavyweight boxers and MMA fighters and beat 20 men all at once. And that’s not parody humour like Chuck Norris jokes those people genuinely believe that nonsense. They call him the best fighter ever....though there’s no actual proof of him actually ever fighting apart from stories from his friends and his wife and daughter (who was like 2 when he died )

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you don't like Billie, you think Ariana is nice to look at, but you haven't said anything about how you feel about Charli XCX. She is good, if you ask me.

Boom clap the sound of my heart the beat goes on and on and on and on and boom clap you make me feel good come on to me come on to me now.

Speaking of Charli, I wonder if she has a white beagle called Snoopy.
its snoop dog that has the beagle, charli has the white powder

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don’t hate Bruce lee. But he’s very overrated. People act like he can beat heavyweight boxers and MMA fighters and beat 20 men all at once. And that’s not parody humour like Chuck Norris jokes those people genuinely believe that nonsense. They call him the best fighter ever....though there’s no actual proof of him actually ever fighting apart from stories from his friends and his wife and daughter (who was like 2 when he died )
you missed bad actor

Latest Discussions