80s Music Johnny Is Stuck In

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So in the Youtube series, actually it is no longer a Youtube series but that's how it started out, Cobra Kai, the main character Johnny from the original Karate Kid movie is stuck in the 80s, he's stuck with 80s music an all.

Anyway, I do think some 80s music is really good and Johnny has a good taste in music and so does his student Miguel after looking up 80s music and discovering Ratt, but I like the music of today too. It seems lots of Cobra Kai fans, at least the ones I know, don't like some of today's really good hits and really good artists.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So in the Youtube series, actually it is no longer a Youtube series but that's how it started out, Cobra Kai, the main character Johnny from the original Karate Kid movie is stuck in the 80s, he's stuck with 80s music an all.

Anyway, I do think some 80s music is really good and Johnny has a good taste in music and so does his student Miguel after looking up 80s music and discovering Ratt, but I like the music of today too. It seems lots of Cobra Kai fans, at least the ones I know, don't like some of today's really good hits and really good artists.
NOT SURE WHAT POINT YOUR MAKING

music is largely defined by the recording standards of the day. ''80s'' music is notably different from ''70s'' music because what they could record and produce is different. Its objectively better , subjectively is a different thing. the same is then true of the following decades

really upon to the 2010s, and the loudness war that ensued, and the complete lack of creative innovation, very nearly everything sounds a like, because most of it is fundamentally the same thing reproduced over and over again. thats not to say that is isn't ''good'', quite the opposite they found things that sells and just keep selling it

people looking for something different have to go backwards, some thing the record companies are very happy about, as it cost them very little to keep selling their back catalogue, to successive generations, so maybe the blandness of modern music is infact a clever marketing ploy

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
NOT SURE WHAT POINT YOUR MAKING

music is largely defined by the recording standards of the day. ''80s'' music is notably different from ''70s'' music because what they could record and produce is different. Its objectively better , subjectively is a different thing. the same is then true of the following decades

really upon to the 2010s, and the loudness war that ensued, and the complete lack of creative innovation, very nearly everything sounds a like, because most of it is fundamentally the same thing reproduced over and over again. thats not to say that is isn't ''good'', quite the opposite they found things that sells and just keep selling it

people looking for something different have to go backwards, some thing the record companies are very happy about, as it cost them very little to keep selling their back catalogue, to successive generations, so maybe the blandness of modern music is infact a clever marketing ploy
Have you seen Cobra Kai seasons 1 and 2?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you seen Cobra Kai seasons 1 and 2?
i didn't know that was a qualification for the discussion, i did however live through the 80s music scene, i didn't miss a single minute of live aid, though ive never been quite so stoned before or since

do you want to talk about music or some childish ma programme ?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, you are absolutely obsessed with that show. And the earlier movie. I feel like at this point you should see if there's a reddit sub or facebook group for it and just talk on there.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
i didn't know that was a qualification for the discussion, i did however live through the 80s music scene, i didn't miss a single minute of live aid, though ive never been quite so stoned before or since

do you want to talk about music or some childish ma programme ?
You think Cobra Kai is childish?
Anyway, we could talk about music, both older music and contemporary music.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, you are absolutely obsessed with that show. And the earlier movie. I feel like at this point you should see if there's a reddit sub or facebook group for it and just talk on there.
Its hard not to be obsessed when season 2 ends in major cliffhangers and season 3 is delayed in coming out.
I am in a Cobra Kai facebook group and I do talk about it there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You think Cobra Kai is childish?
Anyway, we could talk about music, both older music and contemporary music.
i always assumed the the karate kid, remakes and spin offs were aimed primarily at children. that makes them '' childish'' by definition

now to be fair the''super hero'' thing also comes from comic, films and spin offs also aimed at children or at least an ,adolescent (half children), get an audience that is chronologically not children, but emotionally (and intellectually to a lessor degree) are more adolescent that adult

now to be fair i liked the original karate kid, so enjoying isnt the issue, ,, and i was fairly immature at the time, but far less so, than when i used to be obsessed by Bruce lee films, when i was infact a child

so the issue is really if it triggers a childish response, rather than it being a fairly enjoyable way to kill some time

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
i always assumed the the karate kid, remakes and spin offs were aimed primarily at children. that makes them '' childish'' by definition

now to be fair the''super hero'' thing also comes from comic, films and spin offs also aimed at children or at least an ,adolescent (half children), get an audience that is chronologically not children, but emotionally (and intellectually to a lessor degree) are more adolescent that adult

now to be fair i liked the original karate kid, so enjoying isnt the issue, ,, and i was fairly immature at the time, but far less so, than when i used to be obsessed by Bruce lee films, when i was infact a child

so the issue is really if it triggers a childish response, rather than it being a fairly enjoyable way to kill some time
Well no it's certainly not a children's show. It shows alcoholism, drink driving, drug abuse, sexual innuendos, racism and pretty much every swear word out there.

Plus the UK DVD rating for the first movie is a 15. The only childish one was the Jackie chan version

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its hard not to be obsessed when season 2 ends in major cliffhangers and season 3 is delayed in coming out.
Probably not coming out, they haven't even got a place to show it and it seems they've been looking for a while but no ones picked up

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't really know why cobra Kai had to be mentioned tbh. You want to discuss 80s music then cool but the discussion doesn't have much to do with the show

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well no it's certainly not a children's show. It shows alcoholism, drink driving, drug abuse, sexual innuendos, racism and pretty much every swear word out there
and how does that mean its not childish in concept and content, all of those thing can play a part in the life of the average adolescent and unfortunately not a few children

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I was in a group for it for a while....I left it because of to many whiny nerds crying about it hasn't come out yet

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

The Cobra Kai series is aimed at the original fanbase of the Karate Kid franchise which started in 1984. As such most of the fanbase would be adults, at least those who saw the movies in the theaters when they first came out. Besides some of the stuff in the series you would only fully understand if you saw the original movies. Besides I don't think a series geared towards children would show excessive alcohol use as it does with Johnny.

Bruce Lee is perhaps the king of martial arts movies for both children and adults. If you're a Bruce Lee fan you would probably like the movie Last Dragon whose main character, Leroy Green Jr. is a big Bruce Lee fan and the movie does show Bruce Lee footage. The Last Dragon came out in 1985.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well no it's certainly not a children's show. It shows alcoholism, drink driving, drug abuse, sexual innuendos, racism and pretty much every swear word out there.

Plus the UK DVD rating for the first movie is a 15. The only childish one was the Jackie chan version
You're right about the alcoholism, drunk driving, drug abuse, sexual innuendos and profanity, you hear the F word once in the first season and once in the second season so the series would be PG-13. However, I don't recall any racism in the series.

The series Stranger Things which has some alcoholism also has some racism.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably not coming out, they haven't even got a place to show it and it seems they've been looking for a while but no ones picked up
Apparently its coming out sometime this summer.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Cobra Kai series is aimed at the original fanbase of the Karate Kid franchise which started in 1984. As such most of the fanbase would be adults, at least those who saw the movies in the theaters when they first came out. Besides some of the stuff in the series you would only fully understand if you saw the original movies. Besides I don't think a series geared towards children would show excessive alcohol use as it does with Johnny.

Bruce Lee is perhaps the king of martial arts movies for both children and adults. If you're a Bruce Lee fan you would probably like the movie Last Dragon whose main character, Leroy Green Jr. is a big Bruce Lee fan and the movie does show Bruce Lee footage. The Last Dragon came out in 1985.
i stopped being a bruce fan when i turned 15 and decided it was complete nonsense.

the films were adult rated in the UK, but the entire audience was under 15, because they were children films, that is no self respecting adult would ever consider watching them, something i realised when i rewatched enter the dragon 40 years later, god thats complete ???? i thought

are you saying Cobra Ka isnt substantial watched by children, by that i mean not adults rather than babies. course if that true, im surprised, i watched part of one episode and it was clearly aimed at people who have some emotional and intellectual development in front of them

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
i stopped being a bruce fan when i turned 15 and decided it was complete nonsense.

the films were adult rated in the UK, but the entire audience was under 15, because they were children films, that is no self respecting adult would ever consider watching them, something i realised when i rewatched enter the dragon 40 years later, god thats complete ???? i thought

are you saying Cobra Ka isnt substantial watched by children, by that i mean not adults rather than babies. course if that true, im surprised, i watched part of one episode and it was clearly aimed at people who have some emotional and intellectual development in front of them
Well the Cobra Kai series has excessive alcohol use, violence, profanity, and drug abuse so its not exactly a children's series.

Anyway, earlier I said we could talk about music. I really like the music from the 80s that Cobra Kai makes reference to but I also like some of the rock and pop music of today. Today you've got pop stars such as Ariana, Selena, and Billie Eilish.

You're country, the UK, from what I know is well known for having some of the best rock and pop music. Speaking of pop stars from your country, Charli XCX is one of the best. It would be cool in Cobra Kai if Johnny got into her music so he wouldn't be so stuck with just 80s music.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What service does it air on if not YouTube? I saw the first two free episodes and was really enjoying it, but not enough to pay for YouTube Premium. If it's moved, I've got my plans for the weekend!

Latest Discussions