80-year-old war vet beaten & robbed

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This makes me sick to hear about...

http://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=12783829
An 80-year-old military veteran who fought in the Korean War and survived cancer three times never imagined the battle he would face as he left the post office on Baxter Avenue.
"Got into my automobile, strapped myself in, started the car up and before I could get my driver's door closed, somebody jumped in the front seat," said the man who wanted to remain anonymous.
Surveillance pictures captured by a nearby business show what happened in the parking lot on the afternoon of June 27th.
"Grabbed me and hit me and said, 'Give me your money.' Hit me, 'Give me your money, hit me and ‘give me your money' repeatedly," said the victim. "At some point I passed out or became unconscious and I don't remember anything until I'm lying on the black top in the parking lot. I thought I was dead."

Amazingly, the victim also said this:

Though the bruises on his face are almost gone, the memory of the attack hasn't faded. He would like to see quick justice, but also wants something else.
"Say a prayer for that guy, he needs it. More prayers than I do."

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I confess that stories like this one make my teeth clench with anger.

The man is 80 years old for gods sake!

What makes a creature so devoid of humanity that he violently attacks a pensioner? I can't say any more; I'm fuming too much.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Poor guy. I hope they catch the assailant and his driver. At first I thought it sounded like a desperate junkie needing cash, it being an attack in broad daylight, but if he had a driver nearby, more likely they knew the spot and were waiting for a victim.

I am a bit curious why he had $800 cash in the car with him, maybe the bank was his next stop? Anyway, hope he recovers.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poor guy. I hope they catch the assailant and his driver. At first I thought it sounded like a desperate junkie needing cash, it being an attack in broad daylight, but if he had a driver nearby, more likely they knew the spot and were waiting for a victim.

I am a bit curious why he had $800 cash in the car with him, maybe the bank was his next stop? Anyway, hope he recovers.

It is not unusual for older folks to not trust banks. Many banks failed during the Great Depression, with no federal insurance at that time.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All I can Say is.... KARMA.... That P.O.S. will get whats coming to him. Unfortunately we'lll never know how bad he'll get it but best believe it will.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, my thoughts and prayers to the man who was attacked. As for the punk who beat and robbed him....what goes around comes around, and I pray this piece of **** gets his.

And this is the #1 reason why I have zero compassion for the badguys, and always talk about fighting back. Who knows, maybe the next guy that this punk tries to rob, will turn the tables, and beat the **** out of him!

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
"Got into my automobile, strapped myself in, started the car up and before I could get my driver's door closed, somebody jumped in the front seat," said the man who wanted to remain anonymous.

Lesson one: This ain't the 50's anymore. ALL VEHICLE DOORS LOCKED, ALL WINDOWS UP. AT ALL TIMES. AT. ALL. TIMES. I don't care if it's hot, that's what AC is for. Absolutely no exceptions when out amongst the riffraff, period.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lesson one: This ain't the 50's anymore. ALL VEHICLE DOORS LOCKED, ALL WINDOWS UP. AT ALL TIMES. AT. ALL. TIMES. I don't care if it's hot, that's what AC is for. Absolutely no exceptions when out amongst the riffraff, period.

I dont think that would have helped this guy, as he was shutting the door when it happened.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, this is the problem....the punks target the elderly because of who they are. They know that they probably wont fight back and if they do, it probably wont be anything major. Now, this isn't to say that all elderly are weak and frail, just saying that if a bad guy had to pick between 2 people, one being an elderly 80yo lady, and a well built 30yo male, he'd probably be more inclined to pick the old lady.

Then again, it may be better, if possible, to get in, lock the doors, and then put on the seatbelt and start the car. I've done that many times, if I'm out late and am not in a well populated area.

Latest Discussions