8 oz vs 10 oz Dobok

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing a new Dobok. I currently have an 8 oz one, and I was thinking about purchasing a 10 oz uniform. Is there a noticeable difference between weights, and will the 10 oz be more durable? There is a $20 difference between uniforms, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay well I don't know much about dobok but me when it comes to gloves I like to use heavier gloves because since their heavier you have more weight to move which makes you work harder and if I take off the gloves and punch I'll be naturally faster. Whether that applies to your uniforms I don't know so before anyone bites my head off I'm not saying that's a fact but it's how I see things

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, the difference is noticeable. I would opt for the heavier uniform unless you need a "sparring weight" dobok. I generally wear a 14 oz uniform myself when teaching karate or TKD classes.

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are into forms, the heavier uniform gives you more pop with your punches and kicks which may buy you some sway with judges.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing a new Dobok. I currently have an 8 oz one, and I was thinking about purchasing a 10 oz uniform. Is there a noticeable difference between weights, and will the 10 oz be more durable? There is a $20 difference between uniforms, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it.
In most cases, if you compare from the same brand, the 10 oz will be noticeably heavier, warmer, and more durable. I prefer all 3 of those qualities - my students refer to my dogi as "the carpet".

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's what i have been using. I bought a 10 oz uniform, and it feels pretty nice.

My personal gi is 12 oz but I can't use it because one it is black, and two sleeves cut off. It also doesn't have the dojo's emblem on the back.

I would get a heavier one for winter but the dojo demands we use their gi only and they only sell an 8oz version.

Maybe if I ask him to special order one with the emblem on it I pay for it, but idk if the price would be worth it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal gi is 12 oz but I can't use it because one it is black, and two sleeves cut off. It also doesn't have the dojo's emblem on the back.

I would get a heavier one for winter but the dojo demands we use their gi only and they only sell an 8oz version.

Maybe if I ask him to special order one with the emblem on it I pay for it, but idk if the price would be worth it.
I'll toss this in for what it's worth: a dogi/dobok you really like is well worth whatever you pay for it, since you'll get years of wear from it. Find out from your instructor if you can special order what you want, and get it.

I'm not sure I understand the stricture against multiple uniforms - I've almost always owned at least two, so I'd have a backup in case I didn't get mine washed in time. As an instructor at my instructor's school, I used to have different uniforms for hot and cold weather, since I often didn't get to move enough to warm up sufficiently when it was cold. I don't have that issue now, and I just prefer the heavier dogi, anyway.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll toss this in for what it's worth: a dogi/dobok you really like is well worth whatever you pay for it, since you'll get years of wear from it. Find out from your instructor if you can special order what you want, and get it.

I'm not sure I understand the stricture against multiple uniforms - I've almost always owned at least two, so I'd have a backup in case I didn't get mine washed in time. As an instructor at my instructor's school, I used to have different uniforms for hot and cold weather, since I often didn't get to move enough to warm up sufficiently when it was cold. I don't have that issue now, and I just prefer the heavier dogi, anyway.

Yeah I'll consider it when I got some extra money. Its mandatory have the emblem on the back but if he tells me where he buys them from I'm sure I can order what I'd like, basically a heavier white gi with the same emblem.

Latest Discussions