MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please see For Striking

And Please See For Blocking

Also See For Passing

Or Technical Discussions

Basic 6 Count is a Two Person Drill

Player A and Player B

Player A will initiate with a number 12 strike.
Player B will Block the Number 12 will an umbrella Block.

Player B will follow the Umbrella Block up with a number 3 strike to Player A.
Player A will block the number three strike with a block to the left.

Player A will follow up from their block with a number eight strike to Player B.
Player B will step back with their right leg while passing the low line strike from right to left.

Player B will follow up with the pass with a Number 12 Strike to Player A.
Player A will execute an Umbrella Block.

Player A will follow up the Umbrella Blockwith a Number Three Strike to Player B.
Player B will execute a Block to the left.

Player B will follow up Block with a Number Eight Strike.
Player A will step back with the right leg and pass the strike from right to left.

Player A will step forward and Strike a Number 12 (* Beginning the process all over *)

(* added a link to the Passing Thread and Technical Discussions 10/27/03 *)

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know as time went on, according to those who stayed w/MA that names have changed. I read the sequence that you posted and it looks like a drill I learned as Sombrada. Is it the same drill just with a different name - for what ever reason - or is there a subtle difference I am missing?

If it is the same basic pattern as Sombrada, I really liked this drill because of the rhythm.

Paul Martin

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut
Generally speaking, the whole name for the drill is "six-count sumbrada".

There are different variations based on style.

We call it 3-count, but it's the same basic principle. I think you've seen the different stuff Al and Andy have done with sumbrada, Palusut. :D

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut
Hi Cthulhu,

Yeah, my brain is still fried from all the different switches!!!

Palusut

Wait 'til the next Gathering...we'll see about getting you up to speed ;)

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My JKD instructor calls it Sombrada, and often adds a fourth strike (a #5) and a fifth strike (a #2 to the head, blocked with a wing block) to make it a ten-count drill.

I enjoy doing 6-count in espada y daga style!

R

Rocky

Actually Modern Arnis 6 count was originally taught Espada y Daga, that would switch without interupting the flow, into stick to stick and eventually into empty hand trapping and into block and lock.

But over the years GM Presas found it hard to teach at seminars so he changed it to stick to stick, he also done away with 7 count Espada y Daga flow drill.

Rocky

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Arnisador,

Yeah, adding a #5 and a #2/#7 (poke) makes it the 10 count sumbrada that is practiced in Modern Arnis.

If you like espada y daga, you might like the six-count sumbrada that Cthulhu and I have learned.

It is used in FCS but has its roots in Petiki-Tersia. The motions and transitions tend to be faster because with a blade mindset, you are attempting to cut the closest object to you.

The drill is as following:

I. Person (A) thrusts with #5. Person (B) blocks with #5 payong (umbrella/ inside wing).

II. From umbrella block, person (B) then throws a vertical abanico to (A).
(A) Shifts and blocks abanico with slant payong (outside wing).

III. Flowing from the payong block, (A) then throws an #8 strike. (B) blocks with an #8.

The roles then are reversed.

Also note the reason that the name of the drill is because of the use of the sumbrada ("umbrella blocks").

Have fun,

Palusut

E

Emptyglass

Hi all:

I really enjoy sumbrada drills as they teach you alot about positioning and footwork as well as proper striking angles depending on how you're taught/practice them in my opinion.

We do a sumbrada series that has 29 counts (odd number I know) which contains a 4 count, 10 count and 6 count series.

Some of the counts are repeated or half repeated on one side for transitions which gives you the odd number.

If anyone is interested I will try to get it down here on the post but please try it and let me know what you think if you ask for it as it will entail quite a bit of typing. :)

Thanks,

Rich Curren

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich,

I'd be interested in learning more about your Sumbrada drills.

In the version of San Miguel Eskrima that I learned, similar drills are called "palusot."

Best,

Steve Lamade

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes this drill has many names, hence my choice of titles to include et al, meaning the and the rest.

The Paperwork I have from 1978, calls the drill

Six Count De Cadena (* 8 & 10 Count Varients *)

De Cadena can be applied just about anywhere as it translates to my best ability to Chaining or Linking techniques together.

So, to have multple names does not surprise me.

:asian:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Varients or Options

Instead of passing the low line number 8 strike you can also check it with your left hand and strike down to keep the same stick flow pattern.

Another option is too, to step back on the incoming low line number 8 strike and block with a down to the right.

All are very good for teaching the drill. I personally like the one I listed first, since this puts your left hand into a spot for disarms and also for the 10 count variation I wish to discuss next ;)

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Player A will initiate with a number 12 strike.
Player B will Block the Number 12 will an umbrella Block.

Player B will follow the Umbrella Block up with a number 3 strike to Player A.
Player A will block the number three strike with a block to the left.

Player A will follow up from their block with a number eight strike to Player B.
Player B will step back with their right leg while passing the low line strike from right to left.

Player B's Left Hand should be on the inside of Players A's hand. This allows for you to continue with the pass and then insert a Number 5 Strike.

Player A will twirl/pull their cane out and execute a Vertical Block against the number 5.

Player A will then rechamber the cane and strike a number four back at Player B.

Player B will execute a Slanting Block or Wing Block against the number four strike.

Player B will then move onto the beginning and execute the number 12 strike.

I realize that Harold aka Palusut also described this, I just wanted to break it down and further detail.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhommedieu
Rich,

In the version of San Miguel Eskrima that I learned, similar drills are called "palusot."

Best,

Steve Lamade

Steve,

Rich C or Rich P ? ;)

I assume you mean Rich C. As I am just following up on my original thoughts for this thread.

Best Regards
:asian:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
8 Count De Cadena is where only one person executes the thrust and the other one does not execute it. This is one of the first steps to sparring. As you do not know if your partner will thrust or not. This keeps you awake and paying attention in the drill.

Now you can Chain in or Link in more techniques from this and build on your base.

:) :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Instead of passing the low line number 8 strike you can also check it with your left hand and striek down to keep the same stick flow pattern.

I kind of like that version for the flow of it even though I am so-so on it as a block.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I kind of like that version for the flow of it even though I am so-so on it as a block.

Arnisador,

There are two ways to check. One your hand on top, where the empty hand and stick ar forcing the incoming strike down.

The second is to palm up check / block on the arm of the incoming strike and also use your cane to block the cane. This covers the whiplash effect of the incoming stike.

Of course this is always more ;)

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhommedieu
Rich,

Best,

Steve Lamade

Rich C,

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on your drill? Either in this thread or in a separate thread?

Thanks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
There are two ways to check. One your hand on top, where the empty hand and stick ar forcing the incoming strike down.

The second is to palm up check / block on the arm of the incoming strike and also use your cane to block the cane. This covers the whiplash effect of the incoming stike.

Yes, this is what I was trying to describe--I like the former for the flow of the drill but the latter for safety's sake!

In fact I've seen the latter approach done two ways--one with the palm going from outside to inside and the stick crossing the same general way, and the other the reverse--the hands starting more-or-less crossed and the palm and stick each going inside-to-outside (the live hand guides the opponent's stick away, your stick guarding). I find the second form harder to get into position for, personally.

Latest Discussions