Gen2Arnis

B

bloodwood

Many people have stated that Modern Arnis is an ever changing art. A system that is in constant flux and always being expanded and stretched. As the second generation takes over they have a choice. One is to use what Professor gave us and analyze it and better understand it, and second, to add to it, stretch it and turn it into something else.

Changing Modern Arnis would separate it from other martial art styles and make it unique as for not being what it was when is was formed. In the Oriental systems or family systems the system is never changed. The practitioners of today study, analyze and try to evaluate and fully understand what was passed down, they don't try to change it. That would be a no-no and disrespectful to the founders. There are variations but within tolerable limits.

Modern Arnis is a combination of techniques from different systems and styles. Professor drew from Filipino styles, his family system, Shotokan karate, Balintawak and lastly from Wally Jay. Was Professor over the last thirty years changing Modern Arnis or was he just releasing different things he already knew, to us as he saw fit or thought we were ready for. So maybe all these things were there all along and not some new stuff that happened along.
Maybe we should all try to make what he gave us better. I'm not sure. There sure is plenty of stuff to work on. Just recently Professor was introducing Balintawak back into the picture by sending students to GM Buot. His Balintawak was there all along, maybe he figured it was time to have those he deemed ready, to explore this aspect of Modern Arnis.

My personal opinion is that he gave us what he thought we were ready for and when we were ready for it. What will the second generation do to the Professor's art? Save it or change it?

bloodwood

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bloodwood,

The intentions I have are to continue to teach Modern Arnis as I received it. Iwill also take the principals I have learned and as I continue to see more uses or gain further understanding, I will apply this to those that wish to learn from me.

I also plan on continuing my own education in the arts for as long as I can.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Was Professor over the last thirty years changing Modern Arnis or was he just releasing different things he already knew, to us as he saw fit or thought we were ready for.

I think he was doing a little of both, but I don't think he was geniously releasing different things he already knew intentionally per say. It wasn't like in 93' or 94' he said, "I think I am going to start teaching the secret Tapi-Tapi techniques now because I think they are ready!" to use an example.

I think that Remy always had a dilema when teaching. You see, he had all this skill, and some of it was so ingrained, that he had to disect it to try to teach to the masses. Plus, he was in high demand all over the world, so he had to impart this skill somehow to his students in a 4-6 hour seminar as best as he could, not knowing when the next seminar would be that he would see his students.

I think that Professor would discover new ways of teaching and imparting knowledge to his students, and that's how "new things" would get passed along. I think Tapi-Tapi is a great example because I know for a fact that he had all of his stick-sparring skills prior to the 90's (of course), but he also sparred with his advanced students frequently. The problem was, you had to have really good stick ability for him to spar with you, and most of the seminar attendents weren't quite there yet. When he re-discovered tapi-tapi in the 90's, he finally found a way to teach his seminar students in a seminar format actually how to 'stick spar' through the tapi-tapi drill and pre-sets. The student could learn the drill and presets and eventually grow to learn how to free-flow.

So I think that he did a little of everything. He was always learning, so he discovered along the way. He had a ton of knowledge ingrained, so he was rediscovering how to present this knowledge to us in a seminar format. I think much of his innovation, especially with what I witnessed in the 90's, was innovation of new teaching methods rather then new techniques.

OP
B

bloodwood

That's kinda what I was saying in a sense. The stuff was there all along, but people would take this new teaching method and think that it was some NEW technique that the Professor learned or came up with.
If you are working on a Modern Arnis drill or a technique and while doing so a light bulb goes off in your head, do you look at this as you have found a better understanding of the drill or that you figured out something new that you will add to the Modern Arnis curriculum?
I don't think there is much that we can come up with that the Professor hadn't already seen or tried himself.

Some will call things their own and others will see deeper understanding. Getting the most out of each technique can only come from research. So when you find it , it's not new but a better understanding of what's already there.

bloodwood

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that he gave us what he thought we were ready for and when we were ready for it. What will the second generation do to the Professor's art? Save it or change it?

I don't think there is much that we can come up with that the Professor hadn't already seen or tried himself. originally posted by Bloodwood

1. My intention is to break it down in such a manner so that anyone can reach his skill. Understanding is the key to doing just that.

2. Come up with? I'd have to agree with you on that. His stuff was road tested.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
R

Rocky

Bloodwood, you post was very nicely written, it showed a deep respect and very good understanding of Gm Presas and his art.

My 2 cents, which in todays economy is worth about half a penny is: That Modern Arnis changes only because you grow, its like Gm Presas understood back in the late 50's what Bruce Lee made famous in the 70's ( and got all the credit for) no limitions should be your limitations, if it works you use it, Modern arnis isn't an art so much as it is a method, of learning and understanding, this is why Professor always encouraged teaching ,even if you were a beginner and only new two moves if you went home and taught your friend or brother, you would see that move from a whole new perspective, thus enabling you to disect and understand the move better to make it your own.

So in a nut shell if you grow and add and change a little bit here and there or develope the art to the next level you are only doing what Master Presas wished for.

Rocky

OP
S

sercuerdasfigther

" i can give you the keys, but you must unlock the doors yourself."
angel cabales

this applies across the board with all good teachers. r.p. gave you the techniques and drills for self discovery. what you find is nothing new, just something new to you.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
1. My intention is to break it down in such a manner so that anyone can reach his skill. Understanding is the key to doing just that.

Good luck on this one.:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocky
So in a nut shell if you grow and add and change a little bit here and there or develope the art to the next level you are only doing what Master Presas wished for.

Rocky

I would have to agree :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone and everyone could reach his skill level, however, i think everyone can use his level as inspiration and should shoot for it!! if you tell yourself that you can't do it, then you surely won't do it !

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactamundo! I still believe that someone can reach his skill level, though. He was awesome but still human as we all are.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here. True, while there was only one Prof. Presas, there are many people out there that are doing a fine job of carrying on his art. I recently attended the Arnis camp in Chicago. Being my first camp and having the chance to meet many of the top guys there, I was very impressed as to what i saw. While there are some people out there that make false claims to what level they have attained, there are others that have trained very close to the Prof. and are doing an excellent job of keeping the art alive. Watching Chuck Gauss, whom I had never met until that camp, was simply amazing. I was sitting back, watching him demonstrate, and thinking to myself, "Wow! His movements are so close to the way the Prof. moved." All of the Masters there had their own, unique way of moving like the Prof. did.

IMHO, those individuals are doing exactly what the Prof. wanted.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stickarts
congrats on your first camp!

Thanks! Looking forward to attending more in the future!

Mike

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mike

Just one question about the above comment....how do you know this? Did prof. tell you this?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stickarts

Mike

Just one question about the above comment....how do you know this? Did prof. tell you this?

Nope. Formed my opinion by watching the Prof. the few times that I did, and from watching and talking to the Masters at the camp.

Mike

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still believe that someone can reach his skill level, though. He was awesome but still human as we all are.

"Someone" might...but most people won't achieve his level of skill regardless of the training they receive. He was a package of experiences, remember, not just a gifted athlete with good reflexes and speed. He trained with people long dead, fought some talented people, trained in ways we've been told about but would have a hard time experiencing, and survived some adventures that we can only dream about...or have nightmares about. One can't replicate those experiences...not even if we had a clone of Remy as a student.

Don't get me wrong...eventually somebody in Modern Arnis will come along and achieve some prettty remarkable skills. I submit that will be because of a lot of factors, not necessarily because somebody taught them well. But they won't be Remy Presas.

Most of us, while we can get good, won't get up to the level of either Remy or this future speculated prodigy (who no doubt will show up...eventually).

If you can understand what he did and back it up by training, it CAN be done.

Nice optimism...and it'll get you some outstanding students, no doubt...but not another Remy.

Regards,

SCS

Cebu West

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with Steve.

Maybe this will put things in perspective.

A few years ago one of Professor's top students said this about the Professor's skills.

In a straight up stick fight he would take me right out but in a sparring match to three two minute rounds, I MIGHT have a chance because he's 20 to 30 years older than me, he has gout and asthma.
This is a statement about total respect for the Professor's abilities, even in his 60's.

The kind of training we do, will never produce another Remy. He was a product of his environment where poverty and violence were common and your skills were constantly tested. Combine this with exceptional ability and you have a one of a kind legend. He also had the charisma to make his art grow.
Another Remy? Dream on.

SAL

Latest Discussions