5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

OK, figured out how to avoid double posting. Just click "Post Reply', wait a few seconds and check the last page of the thread to see if it was posted.

Old WTF is a frantic mess with soccer kicks, the new one is ehm.. painting. But at least the old one is fighting.
What rot. You have never fought in either, so what would you know about it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What rot.

Excellent rejoinder!

"Soccer kick" is the ITF informal term for WTFs bit chagi. I borrowed the term from my ITF 5th degree assistant instructor about you guys. ITF sparring sucks almost as bad, but not quite. We can solve part of our "suckiness" by cranking up the contact level, which we do.

Excellent rejoinder!

I thought so, yes. No point wasting time and effort on such banal nonsense.

"Soccer kick" is the ITF informal term for WTFs bit chagi.
There is no such kick outside of European terminology. The kick is dollyo chagi. Calling sport kicking soccer kicks demonstrates a drastic ignorance of kicking mechanics, and a lack of respect (again). I'd expect more from an instructor of any art (but not from you).
I borrowed the term from my ITF 5th degree assistant instructor about you guys.

Just like you to parrot something incorrect that you heard elsewhere, no?
ITF sparring sucks almost as bad, but not quite. We can solve part of our "suckiness" by cranking up the contact level, which we do.

Irrelevant.

I thought so, yes. No point wasting time and effort on such banal nonsense.

There is no such kick outside of European terminology. The kick is dollyo chagi. Calling sport kicking soccer kicks demonstrates a drastic ignorance of kicking mechanics, and a lack of respect (again). I'd expect more from an instructor of any art (but not from you).

Just like you to parrot something incorrect that you heard elsewhere, no?

Irrelevant.

There is some of the formal bodymechanics still present, but much less pronounced. That is why we refer to it as "soccer" kicks.

There is some of the formal bodymechanics still present, but much less pronounced. That is why we refer to it as "soccer" kicks.
Erroneously.

Erroneously...are you really going to try and lecture us all on kicking mechanics now? Because if you are, you're gonna have a bad time.

I was chatting at the local UFC gym with A Muay Thai fighter who is going to the Pan-Am games next month. I am tempted to ask him to do some sparring movements with me, as he was doing with a 11 year old kid, just to see how much I don't see coming!

I'm a little bigger, but also far less trained, far less athletic, and probably 25 years older.....it would be over in a jiffy if he wanted!

If you have video footage of that I, for one, would like to see it.

There is no magic to it. We don't pull our strikes. That's the only difference. I'm struggling though because my opponent knows both kickboxing and ITF taeKwondo, since his instructor in Serbia was both a Kickboxer and TKD instructor (ITF). And he's a trained fighter in full contact. So he has the best of both worlds and and can box my head of, set up attacks, throw combos.. While I'm stuck with just TaeKwondo.

There is no magic to it. We don't pull our strikes. That's the only difference. I'm struggling though because my opponent knows both kickboxing and ITF taeKwondo, since his instructor in Serbia was both a Kickboxer and TKD instructor (ITF). And he's a trained fighter in full contact. So he has the best of both worlds and and can box my head of, set up attacks, throw combos.. While I'm stuck with just TaeKwondo.
How much time has he been training vs. You? How often does he train compared to you, and how intense is his training compared to yours?

Unless of course you break out your super elite boxing jab you just learned last week, then he crumbles right?:rolleyes:

How much time has he been training vs. You? How often does he train compared to you, and how intense is his training compared to yours?

Don't know, but it doesn't matter. Joe Rogan was 5 time state champion of TaeKwondo and got his head boxed in by regular guys in Kickboxing gyms who had trained fewer years than him.

Don't know, but it doesn't matter. Joe Rogan was 5 time state champion of TaeKwondo and got his head boxed in by regular guys in Kickboxing gyms who had trained fewer years than him.
It does matter. I've seen guys who trained in TKD (not sport/for competition, but what they called 'traditional' TKD, who could beat me and some other fighters who had more experience. If your level of training and experience is not matching up with someone with the same level from a different style/school, that's normally an issue with you or your school, not your style.

Is that a no on the video?

Latest Discussions

Back