exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hi , i know nothing about computers so i was just wondering what ¬ is lol

thanks,

chris

In formal logic it's the negation connective: if X is true, then ¬X is false, if X is false then ¬X is true. Not sure how it's used as part of code, though. It would part of the semantics for a higher-order language like Lisp or Prolog, no?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;700086 said:

thanks,

chris

Thats a not sign, a logical not sign you can also use a tilde ~ or a caret ^ as a logical not and in programming you will probably also us a exclamation ! as a not although in logical maths that tends to mean unique as opposed to not. So basically ¬A means not A, simple really!

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was it used in APL? I can no longer remember.

Hmmm, looks like rotated versions were at least: APL keyboard.

Looks like it...

personally, I've used it to make text boxes :) Never really did logic w/ a keyboard before. I took it back in the stone ages when we actually had to use pencils and pens!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I run across it every once in a while in old COBOL programs; the compiler interprets it as a NOT. It's fallen out of favor in our shop, probably because nobody can remember the key sequence used to enter it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I run into that with Smalltalk as well. The original Smalltlak used an 'up arrow' for 'return' and a 'right arrow' for assignment. Squeak still recognizes it.

However, most versions just use ^ for 'return' and := for assignment.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;700086 said:

thanks,

chris

It's what I get when I hold the ALT key and press 170.

Here is Alt-169 ⌐

░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like it...

personally, I've used it to make text boxes :) Never really did logic w/ a keyboard before. I took it back in the stone ages when we actually had to use pencils and pens!

If you ever need to, run LaTeX—it's a math typesetting program that runs on unix/linux and yield production quality output (actually, a lot of math/physics/logic textbooks and monographs are produced in LaTeX). It makes the yield of standard equation editors looks like something someone scratched in the groud with a stick...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TeX is essential; I use Scientific Workplace for it. I wrote my entire numerical analysis textbook in it.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TeX is essential; I use Scientific Workplace for it. I wrote my entire numerical analysis textbook in it.

Aha, another TeXie! It's great, isn't it—as long as you don't bugger up some delimiter pairing, in which case it can take you (or at least me) an hour to two to find what went wrong... which do you use, raw TeX, or LaTeX, Leslie Lamport's macro package for TeX? And also—you have a numerical analysis textbook out? Cool—can I ask who published it, and did they use your TeX file right off the shelf to do production (as they should have been able to do, if they've got the right apporach to technical publishing)?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's what I get when I hold the ALT key and press 170.

Here is Alt-169 ⌐

░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░

¬⌐-•◘○♠☺☻♣♦☻♣MXc⌡~{⌂ô₧£ƒ₧♫╨╘|♫æÜ|É~╟ûCy4╝♦441 woohoo⌡☻ ■²Φ√╥⌡φ∩∟↔∟↔"$&''▼ ▲-.τ0╣♠7CÄ>DJNUce╟Ü