36-inch curved weapon w/ four blades?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm trying to visualize the weapon mentioned in this article. It sounded like it would be something that would be difficult to defend against. Does anyone know what such a weapon would be and what it looks like?

Part of the article:

The man, 43, was charged Friday with two counts of aggravated assault, a second-degree felony, for allegedly stabbing one son and cutting another with a 36-inch curved weapon armed with four separate blades.

Rest of the article:

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Jan/01172004/utah/129911.asp

- Ceicei

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could it be the weapon that the Klingons used in the next generation?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Rich...it sounds like the Klingon sword or one of the clones of those. Those are sold throughout various knife outlets.

Some are made of unsharpened and rather flimsy metal...but it wouldn't be nice to get smacked with one.

Here's links to a Klingon geek site talking about the weapons like that:

http://www.geocities.com/ktesh_kag/betlehorigin2.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ktesh_kag/sword2.htm

And here is a link to Ebay if you want to buy one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2218219772

Regards,

Steve

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
it sounds like the Klingon sword or one of the clones of those. Those are sold throughout various knife outlets.

Some are made of unsharpened and rather flimsy metal...but it wouldn't be nice to get smacked with one.

Here's links to a Klingon geek site talking about the weapons like that

Ouch!

It looks like it is designed to be held with two hands. I hope these won't get too popular. However, has anyone trained in defense against those?

- Ceicei

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bat'leth's are fun. The thing is, 95% of the folks who might play with them, haven't got a clue on how to really use it. The techniques combine staff, longsword and sythe concepts. Its a 2 handed weapon, though it can be used single handed, with some difficulty. (I know folks who both make and practice with them.)

There was a kata floating around but rumor is Paramount forced it off the market.

Picture of Bat'leths from Toronto Trek 17

(KAG has a video available - See http://www.klingonimperialweaponsguild.org/pages/mupwi/mupwi8a.htm for info. Site is hard to read though)

Based on the description in that article, I doubt it was a Bat'leth though. More likely, it was one of the crap knock off clones available cheep at flea markets. Bud K sells some of the knockoffs.

http://www.budkww.com/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=BK494 is 1 example.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
It looks like it is designed to be held with two hands. I hope these won't get too popular. However, has anyone trained in defense against those?

Its in the Vulcan close combat curriculum, I believe. I think the Federation's manual on combatives cover it as well.

Bat'leth's are fun. The thing is, 95% of the folks who might play with them, haven't got a clue on how to really use it. The techniques combine staff, longsword and sythe concepts. Its a 2 handed weapon, though it can be used single handed, with some difficulty.

Bob...I have to ask...do you speak Klingon?

Regards,

Steve

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Bob...I have to ask...do you speak Klingon?
Regards,

Steve [/B]

HISlaH (Yes, a little) :D (Mostly the swear words though) :rofl:

The Klingon Language Institute has alot more information on learning it. You can also find Hamlet translated into the mother language. :)

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
There was a kata floating around but rumor is Paramount forced it off the market.
Yep. I picked up the book when it first came out, and it was supposed to be the first in a series on Klingon combat methods. Paramount soon clamped down on them, but you occasionally see a copy of the book for sale here and there.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy - I'd love to check that out. Can you shoot me some more info on it? :)

Steve - Nah, I hit on the Anime gals. Vulcans are too boring. :D

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Vulcans are too boring. :D

Have you watched the new Star Trek? Have you seen the Vulcan on that show? Boring? Whooa...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh.

I liked Hoshi more myself..... ;)

I'd raise a Bat'leth for her....then again, from what I heard, she'd do some serious damage if I tried.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ummm. Since we are discussing tools created by show business, here is a question.

Do you recall the round boomerang-like sharp tool that the character Xena uses on the show "Xena"? She would throw a circular "knife" and it's so sharp it could cut through a lot of stuff, then manage to return to her by bouncing against walls. The question I've always wondered is how she manages to never cut her hand when it returns?

Anyway, is that thing fictional, or do they really exist in the Australian fighting arts?

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions