31 Things Your Child's Teacher Won't Tell You

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting article with an additional list of things that teachers don't usually tell parents about their child in school.
Found the list amusing and enlightening and definite nods of agreement here and there.

The first 13 http://shine.yahoo.com/event/backtoschool/13-things-your-childs-teacher-wont-tell-you-2332811/

The next 20 http://www.rd.com/home-garden/20-more-things-your-childs-teacher-wont-tell-you/article164878.html
I liked these best I think:
9. Teaching is a calling. There’s not a teacher alive who will say she went into this for the money.

11. Teaching is not as joyful as it once was for many of us; we get jaded too. Disrespectful students and belligerent parents take a toll on us.

12. Parents give their kids the pricey gadgets and labels, but what kids really crave is for you to talk to them. They want to know you are interested in their lives.

18. We wish parents would make their kids own up to their actions instead of pressuring us to bend the rules.

19. Please stop doing everything for your child and allow them to make mistakes. How else will they learn? Kids are not motivated to succeed because they feel their parents will bail them out every time.

20. There are days when I just want to quit, but then that one smile from that one kid, changes it all.
What do you think?

Kudos to all the teachers on this forum. :asian:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Good teachers are like diamonds, and should be valued just as highly.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My friend, and Sifu is also a Middle school teacher. He puts in long hours, and his weekends are spent grading paper work stacked as high as a mountain.
I once asked him if his students appreciate all the work he does for them.
His response was something I can't post on these forums.
But I bet at least most of his students would feel differently if they got to see all of what he does everyday.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Being a teacher is a noble profession and a difficult, thankless job. And there can be no better or greater joy for a devoted and dedicated teacher than to see his students do well in life.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for teachers. My best friend is a grade school teacher. He earns much less than I make, he puts in at least as much hours, and he has to put up with a lot of crap and spends many hours of 'free' time every week just to get his job done.

12 and 19 are very good points.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good teachers are like diamonds, and should be valued just as highly.

A freaking - men.

I've had some great teachers in my life! including university profs. and of course my shotokan teachers. Without them I wouldnt be where i am today. :)

"18. We wish parents would make their kids own up to their actions instead of pressuring us to bend the rules. "

This one stuck out for me. My mom is a teacher, and she had a student just like this. Other teachers and doctors and so on would make excuses for his poor behavior. But my mom said she knows that he is not challneged or anything he just didnt want to do his work.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got in from Grade two and three, two hours ago. Took a nap, going to the gym, then prepping for tomorrow morning.
I'm not full time yet, but these two are the ones I recognize the most.

13. We spend money out of our own pockets to buy things our students need, such as school supplies and even shoes.
Generally all those boxes, shelves, books, and a thousand other things in your childs classroom, came out of their teachers wallet.

14. Supportive, involved parents are crucial. But some are “helicopter parents”--they hover too much.
If you ignore your kids they may not fail, but they will not succeed. Its you that has the seperation anxiety, not your kid!

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My friend, and Sifu is also a Middle school teacher. He puts in long hours, and his weekends are spent grading paper work stacked as high as a mountain.
I once asked him if his students appreciate all the work he does for them.
His response was something I can't post on these forums.
But I bet at least most of his students would feel differently if they got to see all of what he does everyday.
I can imagine what he said...
As to appreciation... well half of them would probably look at it all and say (blandly with little understanding of what they're looking at) "wow that's a lot". The other half would stare at the pile of work like cows at a passing train and say: "yeah.... so?"

Latest Discussions