Skunked Dog!!! Ewwwwwww!

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I came home from class, parked my car and was met by my big Golden. At first I thought my car was on fire as the smell was like burning insulation or rubber but Nope, it was Quinn. He met a baby skunk who was investigating the barn and was sprayed full force in the face. After a certain amount of wretching he was now just drooling and looking for me to help him. I washed him in Vinnager and Dirty Dog shampoo and now he just smells like old french fries. He is finaly asleep, poor old guy, but if anyone has a sure fire De-Skunking recipe can you please let me know. I am going to try some Doggy boutiques tomorrow to see what I can find in specialty shampoos.
Thanks
Lori

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poor chap - I hope he's okay?

I seem to recall that Mythbusters did an episode on De-Skunkification methods - might be worth a Google?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I washed him in Vinnager and Dirty Dog shampoo and now he just smells like old french fries. He is finaly asleep, poor old guy, but if anyone has a sure fire De-Skunking recipe can you please let me know. I am going to try some Doggy boutiques tomorrow to see what I can find in specialty shampoos.
Thanks
Lori

Well, yes,.... but presumably you want the dog to survive... :)
In that case... no. Good luck with the hunt for something that works.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My dogs have been hit by skunks three times in the last month. It's AWFUL!

The Mythbusters recipe works! Nothing else does - not the expensive stuff you buy, and NOT tomato juice.

All you need is this:

1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (buy it in a drugstore, it's dead cheap).
1/4 cup of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix in a bowl. Wash the dog. Let it sit on the dog for at least five minutes. Then rinse. Repeat if necessary.

Good luck!

This is the chemist who invented it - complete directions and caveats here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/

OP
teekin

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Bill!!! So I'm going to bleach my Golden Pyroxide Blonde? CooleeO! He's going to look like a Pimp Daddy Golden. I'm going to give him a rest day and then another bath. I can live with the smell of old french fries for a day. He was asleep within 10 minutes after I dried him off and slept next to me all night. He has only been awake today to eat and go outside to check the yard for Maurauding Killer Cows who are are not where they are suppose to be!
The Poodle is holding the Fort, from the top of the porch, but only if the door is open and she can dash inside so only her muzzle and one eye is outside. She has yet to tangle with a smelly Black and white Kitty but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. It seems to have been a Booming year for skunks. I hope the coyotes and skunks have some sort of battle royal and take eachother out. They are going to need their relish.

Lori

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Bill!!! So I'm going to bleach my Golden Pyroxide Blonde? CooleeO! He's going to look like a Pimp Daddy Golden. I'm going to give him a rest day and then another bath. I can live with the smell of old french fries for a day. He was asleep within 10 minutes after I dried him off and slept next to me all night. He has only been awake today to eat and go outside to check the yard for Maurauding Killer Cows who are are not where they are suppose to be!
The Poodle is holding the Fort, from the top of the porch, but only if the door is open and she can dash inside so only her muzzle and one eye is outside. She has yet to tangle with a smelly Black and white Kitty but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. It seems to have been a Booming year for skunks. I hope the coyotes and skunks have some sort of battle royal and take eachother out. They are going to need their relish.

Lori

Ann-Marie has asked me to pass on that Dawn is a good dish detergent to use, because the skunk spray is oily. Also, our girl dog, Mollie, got it in the mouth too - she was also drooling from the blast. We found that it was a lot harder to clean the smell off of her, as it seems to be coming from the end of her nose. The boy dog, Milo, cleaned up each time with no trouble.

Bear in mind also that skunk spray can cause temporary blindness in dogs, and skunks that come out in the daytime might be rabid; they're usually nocturnal and there seems to be an increase in rabid skunks here in Michigan this year. Make sure your dog's rabies shot is current; unlike humans, there is no set of shots you can get for a dog once bitten by a rabid animal; the state will destroy your pet if you don't.

We found this recipe the hard way - having tried the other advice one normally hears. Didn't find this right away, but once we did, it made a huge difference. Mythbusters also tested various remedies, and they also say this one works. Tomato juice *appears* to make the smell go away; that's because it kills YOUR sense of smell. Leave and come back, and you'll find out the smell isn't really gone at all; or ask someone to come over to your house and you find out the same thing. So don't bother with that.

Now we are keeping peroxide and baking soda in the house in quantity. One word of advice; don't try to store the stuff once you mix it up, and don't keep open bottles of peroxide - it turns into water and then it won't work anymore.

Here's my two morons:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1541558293890

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to second Bill's recipe. I have a Siberina husky with an over-active prey drive. Seems like every year or so he kills himself a skunk in our back yard. That's the exact recipe we use to de-skunkify him. Works like a charm (except for the smell on his breath....yuck).

Peace,
Erik

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Grendel308

I am sorry that your dog got skunked. Reading the post got me giggling so thanks for the laugh.

OP
teekin

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bill, a Huge Bouquet of Roses for you. This recipie works minty Fab! But your right that his breath smells like old dog poo. My guess is that he was Bark! Bark! Barking! and stripped smelly kitty and was sprayed in the mouth, face and chest. Some of the vapor go into his lungs and will take a while to work it's way through his system and out. But he is now much blonder, smells like lemons ( sunlight soap) and hopefully wiser. I shall see if I can post a pic of the big dumb Doofus somewhere.
I will also have to post a story of the new dog Hershi and what she does with mice.

Latest Discussions