3 Empty ended taos in Wing Chun : video and comments

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok I see what you are getting at now , your talking about what we would describe as keeping your arm in the "optimum angle".
Anytime you are making contact with the opponents arms your arm should be in the "optimum angle".
But in our lineage once we have deflected the opponents punch , and it is safe to do so we will then expand our angle and hit through with our own strike.

We share the same basic concepts Mook, just different in the details of its execution. I really like the economy of motion concept, our counter punch is done in one continues motion (as with some other lineages) ... leaving the safety concern to be worried by your opponent.

OP
P

poulperadieux

Orange Belt
Reaction score

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been down with the flu and finally am well enough to check in here with a few random comments. I finally was able to access all three videos and only have this to add:

1. Doing the certain sections of the forms slowly definitely has it benefits, but in my lineage we always move quickly and release our energy when perfoming the striking movements. That would equate to the fa-jing that Xue referred to.

2. Like Nico and Mook, we also extend our arms fully (to the point straightening the elbow) when striking. Done properly, the arm is very relaxed and the fist is thrown out like "a rock on a silk cord" -- it only stops when the cord pulls taught. This is how we are taught to release our energy without tension. Of course in practice your goal is to make contact with your strike before you reach full extension so you can drive your punch into your target.

3. One last thing. Taos is a town in New Mexico. :uhyeah:

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's good to see people putting up videos of their application ideas, thanks.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A video about some comments from this forum and a French one.

Shot during a formation, with a Student, Black Belt in Goshin Do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOHT2mZwMpg&feature=youtu.be

Very good demo of dealing with the hook, very good advice on the placement of the pressing elbow ... preventing the attacking hand from circling under and redirect the attack to your inside gate.

We use similar intercept technique but with an different twist, by cutting into his bicep with the forearm or palm "cut" into the shoulder joint while attacking with the other hand while moving in, leaving him very little time to respond.

Latest Discussions