Reaction score
If we consider the following punching combo:

1. Right jab - straight line,
2. Right hook - horizontal to the left,
3. Right back fist - curve forward,
4. Left over hook - vertical downward,
5. Right uppercut - vertical upward
6. Left hook - horizontal to the right.

It includes punches from all different directions. It also include a punch has been changed into 3 different angles (right jab, right hook, right back fist).

Should all punching system be 3 dimensional?

Your thought?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't think of any art where techniques don't exist in 3 dimensions. Even arts with a lot of straight-line techniques have footwork to get off-center.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The punches that seem to get you the most are the ones you didn't see coming. And a lot of those times - are because you weren't aware of the direction it/they came from.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you make the end of a hook punch to be a straight punch, that's "spiral punch". The spiral punch is used a lot in wrestling. You can use a hook punch to set up an under hook under your opponent's shoulder. The spiral punch can also be used to start with a hook punch and end with your leading arm jam your opponent's upper arm. It's a good way to disable your opponent's leading arm.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a good example of 3 dimensional punch. I's much more aggressive than just the straight line punch.

Gr9Xu17.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a good example of 3 dimensional punch. I's much more aggressive than just the straight line punch.

Gr9Xu17.gif
Multi-directional punch combo? It took a while for me to see it because I was so shocked at the bad defense. It reminds me of some of the self-defense videos where you are supposed to hold your arm out and say in a loud voice "Stay back". This video is why I don't like that one. It's a good plan when the physical attack isn't on the horizon and you have some distance.

The funniest thing about this video found myself saying "Put your hands together, use the Rhino guard." lol. I'm not sure what he thought he would stop with out stretched hands like that.

But back to your post. Yeah punching from multiple directions is awesome. Most people can't handle them, long fist has a lot of that because of the way punches are loop into the next. You never know if the loop is going to feed a circular punch or if it's going to feed a linear punch. Depending on the fighter you never not if that loop is going to feed into a linear, horizontal, vertical, or angled punch. Looking at that video he got hit with a lot of the punches that traveled in his blind spot.

He turns his head which reduces his field of vision. That's a common reaction of someone who hasn't been hit in the face much.

Latest Discussions