24 - Muslims upset about nuclear attacks

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting...

Muslims protest 24

This caught my attention

"Over the past several seasons, the villains have included shadowy Anglo businessmen, Baltic Europeans, Germans, Russians, Islamic fundamentalists, and even the (Anglo-American) president of the United States," the network said. "The show has made a concerted effort to show ethnic, religious and political groups as multidimensional, and political issues are debated from multiple viewpoints."

Couple of things stand out... first, its a TV show! Its fiction! During the Cold War, we frequently had movies about Russians. We had shows about Vietnamese war, about every war we have fought. Many of these shows/movies have been fiction. Get over it! I don't see Russians, Germans, Anglo businessmen protesting... Fundamentalist Islam is causing alot of global problems these days, so they are the "enemy" of the era. Are you suprised that this group is being represented on TV now?

Second, you are protesting a TV show! how about protesting the fundamentalist who are flying planes into our cities? Or those nut jobs bombing embassies around the world? If those guys were not doing these acts of terrror, I imagine they would not be represented on 24!

I understand all of Islam is not this way, but those guys have sure made themselves heard over the years. One of these days the sensible Muslims are going to get these guys under control. Peace will never come via suicide bombings and other forms of terror attacks... I do hope this happens before some kind of attack represented in 24 actually happens.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've only seen a few issues of 24, and I have to say it would make Beria or Himmler proud. Muslims are all evil, dusky terrorists. Torture works. It's kinda sexy. Heroes do it.

Typical "fair and balanced" Fox coverage :barf:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't watch 24 because the actions of Jack Bauer are offensive to me as an American. The ends does not justify the means. But, you make a hit show, and suddenly the citizenry become blinded or acquiecent to terms like 'Extrodinary Rendition'. There are plenty of reasons to be upset with the propaganda of this program.

I am saddened that Mr. Sutherland participates with this program. Seems to me his father took some public stances against such behavior. I further understand his grandfather was also a fine example of liberty, in someway.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not every Muslim is a terrorist however since the 70's all terrorists acts have been committed by Muslims. You know, it is sad really, if the good would put the bad in check we would not be having these problems.

The last I checked we have a lot of movies showing the Japanese, Korean, and German WWI, WWII, Vietnamese, Gulf War etc. So why should this be different?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not every Muslim is a terrorist however since the 70's all terrorists acts have been committed by Muslims. You know, it is sad really, if the good would put the bad in check we would not be having these problems.

They what now? Terrorist groups exist in all areas, in all religious denominations. Fundamentalist Christians have been known to engage in terrorism, abortion clinics being a target there. PETA has been connected to terrorist groups. Here is just a quick sampling of non-muslim terrorist groups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unibomber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Liberation_Front

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_in_the_abortion_movement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_National_Liberation_Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Defense_League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Nations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Liberation_Front

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally...I like the show....but I recognize it is all TV...and you know if 2 out of 6 seasons the bad guys are middle easterner's/Muslims...my thoughts on it are get over it already....if it is offensive to you, don't watch it, feel free to write your own plot and submit it to them where the bad guys are someone else....but there will always be a bad guy in the show so suck it up and move on and stop whining already...
Muslims aren't always the bad guys in real life and not all muslims look like they are portrayed on TV...but in the end it is just TV...and I have yet to hear of an instance of violence because someone watched TV and the man next to him looked like the bad guy on the show...
But I am also a White Angle Saxon Christian so maybe I have the wrong perspective...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Typical "fair and balanced" Fox coverage :barf:

I don't watch the show, I found it boring, it couldnt keep my short attention span past a commercial break, but... Im sorry, I didn't know "Entertainment" was required to be "Fair and Balanced"...

When did that start? Regardless, I will remember that, the next time they air TVNATION on Comedy Central.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not every Muslim is a terrorist however since the 70's all terrorists acts have been committed by Muslims.

WHAT???

What about the freakin IRA? Are you telling me THEY are Muslim?

Oh, wait... not Terrorists, Freedom Fighters, MY BAD.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ho-hum. Another day, another protest. Hopefully, this one won't result in dead nuns.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Not every Muslim is a terrorist however since the 70's all terrorists acts have been committed by Muslims.

No kidding? I didn't know Timothy McVeigh was a Muslim. And the Aum Shinrikyo cult? They were Muslim? Dang, learn something new every day.

Lamont

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Basques of ETA are Muslim? Wow. And the Irish, the Aryan Nations, the Klan, Operation Rescue, Army of God, the Sardinian seperatists, FARC and the other revolutionary groups in Latin and South America? You learn something new every day...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I suppose it follows that since "libs" are the ones who are upset about this, the "cons" are in favor of hatred, prejudice and lies? If truth and justice are "liberal" positions - according to you - it certainly says something about self-identified "conservatives". It's not something I'd care to be associated with, but hey, knock yourself out. It also supports the view that the two sides are brutish, hateful, tyrannical religious fanaticism and fascist theocracy on one side and the progressive, enlightened, tolerant and just society ruled by reason and compassion on the other.

Neal

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sometime art imitates life and other times life imitates art.
Anyone ever watch Egyptian TV, Palestinian TV, Syrian, Saudi or Iranian TV, they play 24/7 of the most hateful anti-semetic (Elders of Zion) and anti-western propaganda.

If some folks spent sometime to see what hateful TV is all about, 24 is a non-issue. You folks should spend some time to see what Extremist Muslims and CAIR-USA Muslim rights group bankrolled by Wahabi Saudi $. These same people forbid any religion besides Islam in Saudi Arabia. Its a crime to practice Christianity or judism.

Two wrongs don't make a right but 24 did nothing wrong. The same Muslim protesters won't grant the exact rights they want for themselves.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fundamentalist Christians have been known to engage in terrorism, abortion clinics being a target there.

I am a Fundementalist Christian and I believe I know to which group you are referring. I will say that they can call themselves Christian, but they are not. It is not Biblical to act as they do. I can call myself a banana all day long, but I will never be a banana.

I will be the first to say that even though I don't agree with Muslim philosophy, they are NOT all terrorists. But I don't see large numbers of other groups strapping explosives onto themselves and blowing temselves and others up. I do see people blowing stuff up, but not themselves with it. Life is not a salad bar where we can pick and choose who is bad and who is good. There are bad people in every group. All we can do is try to help them see the error in there ways and that generating terrorism is not soemthing that can ever do any good.

I may get flamed for this statement, but so be it. I am tired of terrorists and peole fighting for what seems to be a waste of time and energy.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But I don't see large numbers of other groups strapping explosives onto themselves and blowing temselves and others up. I do see people blowing stuff up, but not themselves with it.

You are discussing, with these two sentences, a tactic to acheive an end, as opposed to the underlying fundamental principle. What tactics are acceptable for different eras and moralities.

You may recall that the Colonial Army was considered in bad light, as they did not march to battle on the battle field, in bright red coats to face their opponent; instead choosing to hide in the woods and behind rocks. That was a change of tactic, because they faced a superior enemy.

You may recall kamikaze pilots of World War II, who would intentionally pilot their aircraft into battleships in the Pacific theater. That was a tactic where one combatant in a relatively small vehicle was able to inflict severe damage on a larger group in a larger vehicle.

What is the underlying principle for which people choose to become a suicide bomber?

In Christian faiths, suicide is considered 'Go to Hell' instantly card, whereas murder is not. That is kind of an odd principle, isn't it, especially where 'self-will' is supposed to be the greatest gift from the creator. Killing another is forgivable, but killing yourself is not? That aside, haven't their been rogue preachers in every faith - How about that Alaskan preacher that was recently convicted of incest - Apparently God told him to have sex with his daughters.

Apparently, and I am no expert, in Islam, fighting against an occupying army for the land that God gave bequeathed is acceptable to some interpretations, and is rewarded in Heaven. If the occupying army has overwhelming superior firepower and intelligence, a subversive tactic may be the only weapon available.

My suggestion is that we do not become confused between a tactic and a principle.

All we can do is try to help them see the error in there ways and that generating terrorism is not soemthing that can ever do any good.

What do you think would show Pastor Fred Phelps that his brand of 'Christianity' is an 'error'? Provide a credible answer to this question, and we can extrapolate to other preachers, who believe even more fervrently.

Sorry for the ramblings .... but as I mentioned, I see 24 as an offensive story. 24 uses one of the same tactic as the Kamikaze pilots, the Colonial Army, and the Palestinian suicide bombers - 'the ends justify the means'.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward, I have no idea what would help Fred Phelps and his followers to have a change of heart. Maybe they should pray for salvation and then they may hate alot less. I live within a 2 hr drive of Mr. Phelps' church and his "compound" and I find them and their tactics upsetting. I happen to go to a Baptist church and that is what they call their church, but they are off. There is no Baptist in their right mind going to act like that. We are supposed to help people not hate them.

Hate the sin, NOT the sinner!!!

I am not standing up for 24, at the very least it is quite boring and I don't really care for it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting...

Muslims protest 24

This caught my attention

Couple of things stand out... first, its a TV show! Its fiction! During the Cold War, we frequently had movies about Russians. We had shows about Vietnamese war, about every war we have fought. Many of these shows/movies have been fiction. Get over it! I don't see Russians, Germans, Anglo businessmen protesting... Fundamentalist Islam is causing alot of global problems these days, so they are the "enemy" of the era. Are you suprised that this group is being represented on TV now?

Second, you are protesting a TV show! how about protesting the fundamentalist who are flying planes into our cities? Or those nut jobs bombing embassies around the world? If those guys were not doing these acts of terrror, I imagine they would not be represented on 24!

I understand all of Islam is not this way, but those guys have sure made themselves heard over the years. One of these days the sensible Muslims are going to get these guys under control. Peace will never come via suicide bombings and other forms of terror attacks... I do hope this happens before some kind of attack represented in 24 actually happens.

Could I protest that my company has set aside certain rooms for Friday afternoon prayers? (* Personally I do not mind as this means less time away from the desk or lab working. *)

Could I protest the cowboy and Indian movies? (* I could but what is the value in it for me? *)

Could I be upset, that everyone seems to want only their beliefs and their values protected and screw the rest of everyone esle? Yes, I could be and I am. I have problems with Religion and Politics mixing. I protest it here in our country and I also protest its' negative values elsewhere. But I also understand that if I was to go to their country, I would have to live with their culture.

But that is me, I guess a lot of people take offense easily and must protest for they fear for their faith. This goes for all religions in my opinion.

Latest Discussions