14 Point Mindful Action Code

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Besides the three stanza student creed, most every experienced To-Shin Do practitioner (if taught right) should at one time or another worked on internalizing the 14 Point Mindful Action Code. I'd say, if there was any thing close to 'bushido' in our contemporary ninja tradition (and no that's not oxymoronic) I'd say that aforementioned code would be it.

For those new to the martial art, or not very familiar with the 14 PMAC, you can find it in full at this URL:

http://skhquest.com/articles/14pointcode.php

For this thread, I'd like to see this code considered, and how some may have applied it or some points like it in their personal lives.

Me being particularly religiously inclined, I appreciate how even though it probably spawned from the shared morals of other religions, or JUST BASIC HUMAN DECENCY, I can 'easily' follow it and apply it in my life, enhancing both my spirituality, as well as my warrior virtues.

Particularly for me, my favorite, and most applied would have to be the first two points:

"I protect life and health, I avoid violence whenever possible."

This is one sentence that many martial artist would easily hold true to themselves, but I feel how deeply I appreciate and follow it. I am not current a Law Enforcement Officer, nor military, and yet this applies to me. I say this because, as I walk or drive in my vehicle, I tend to watch to see the grand scheme of things going on. I observe (subtly) people's mannerisms, looking for anamolies, and watching out for potentially problematic situations. While I personally avoid potentially confrontational situations (via a group of rowdy young adults fraternizing loudly in a certain area of a store or parking lot) I also look for those who may end up being a victim to said persons.

I remember this one experience (and don't worry, it's short) where there was an elderly couple heading to their vehicles, and some less than respectful youngsters were speaking obscene things (I suppose out of boredom) towards them. When they turned in surprize to such acknowledge such undeserved and unprovoked insults, they young ones began to act as if the husband's acknowledgement of them was an offensive challenge. So of course, to defend their non existent honor I suppose, they rose to the fore, and began to say things to the effect of, "What? You want to 'scrap', old dude?" The rest, I dare not repeat, but it was beyond rude.

So I'm no Superman, and can't battle the world, but I (a bleeding heart empathizer) knew I had to do something to stop them. Well I'll tell you what I didn't do. I didn't go up and say, "Worry not, Citizen! I shall rid you of these riffraff!" But more like, I went up to the elderly fellow in haste and 'the look' (as it's termed in another thread) and asked the gentleman (completely ignoring the boys) if he had the time. Perhaps, afraid I might intervene or be a witness to their harrassment, they mumbled something unintelligable, and walked off. The gentleman and I talked for a while about the way people are in society these days, (how the predators get 'younger' and 'younger') before we went our separate ways. Nothing heroic, of course, but I felt I prevented something that could've been bad.

As far as health goes, I have a heavily health conscious grandmother (who's more limber than I am, and I can perform 'splits') and it seems her knack for watching and limiting the unhealthy things in life (overeating, too much sugar, raised stress effecting blood pressure, weak joint and muscular health) have passed down to me. I've never been a smoker, never been drunk (because it tastes nasty), exercise regularly, and practice decent eating habit (like many MAists, I think). I try to spread my health consciousness to my friends...and I'm failing. :)

Do any points stand out as something YOU apply in YOUR life?

:)

-Scott

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are right they are based on Buddhist teachings.

I find my self repeating "I am as enthusiastic about others fulfillment as I am about my own,
I avoid treating others’ successes as the cause of my lacks."

It's hard to be enthusiastic about another's fulfillment, when that person gets the promotion you applied for. Or if someone gets a better grade than you in school, what ever the situation.

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are right they are based on Buddhist teachings.

I find my self repeating "I am as enthusiastic about others fulfillment as I am about my own,
I avoid treating others’ successes as the cause of my lacks."

It's hard to be enthusiastic about another's fulfillment, when that person gets the promotion you applied for. Or if someone gets a better grade than you in school, what ever the situation.

Buddhist teachings? That's what I thought. It's great though, in my case, that my religious/spiritual teachings coincide with such things, for the simple fact my 'seishin-shugyo' is foremost in my life, personally. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. But recently when talking to a friend who's planning to go to school to 'essentially' make video games and all kinds of cool stuff like that (cool stuff...I'm tired) I found myself excited for him, and fueled to pursue my career even harder. Though I would not say it's my ULTIMATE life goal, my career is an important step, and I think that the fact others are moving forward in WHATEVER, it gives me a kick in the rear to start moving forward too!

Latest Discussions