08/08/08

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is anyone else nervous about the upcoming Olympics?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25890371/from/ET/

I'm not good at links but msbnc had several articles about security at the Olympic games with pictures of surface to air missiles apex 300 yards from a competition areas. Also articles about censuring of web sites and articles of spying on the tourist that are going to the games.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah. Those kind of worries happen during every Olympics.

I just want to see the US Judo and wrestling teams kick butt.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is anyone else nervous about the upcoming Olympics?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25890371/from/ET/

I'm not good at links but msbnc had several articles about security at the Olympic games with pictures of surface to air missiles apex 300 yards from a competition areas. Also articles about censuring of web sites and articles of spying on the tourist that are going to the games.

Welcome to Chinese Government on alert Security procedures.

It was not like that there before and it will not be there like that after it is just an Olympic thing. Normally it tends to be if you don’t get in their face they don’t go looking for you. But if you do get in their face you are pretty much done. For the Olympics it is just a little easier to get in their face (a lot of media people looking sensational news) and they are actually looking as well due to threats that have been made and if they see you or find you… you are again done (done meaning taken into custody, expelled from the country or deceased, it all depends on what you have done)

OP
KELLYG

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines that the Chinese are prepared, maybe too prepared, as if they are expecting trouble. The date 08/08/08 may also have meaning to some as well as the Olympics are a world wide publicly viewed event.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Meh.

With all the anti-terrorism and big brother nonsense going on in the west right now would it be any different if it was hosted in a western country?

Are they expecting trouble? Well, there are a lot of people that would like to see China come out of this with a big black eye. There where small scale problems right from the start with protests and the torch relay. Are some of the precautions overkill? Yep, probably. Could be as much a show of strength then actually expecting to use a lot of it though.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines that the Chinese are prepared, maybe too prepared, as if they are expecting trouble. The date 08/08/08 may also have meaning to some as well as the Olympics are a world wide publicly viewed event.

8 is a lucky number for Chinese.

Latest Discussions