You've now been relegated to Taebo with a stick...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[video]http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/05/24/health/100000000832196/gym-class-samurai-sword-workout.html[/video]

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seen it before.
As long as no one thinks that what they are doing is learning the “correct” way to swing a sword, whatever. If it gets people off their asses and gets them some exercise, good for them.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh wow they have Duncan Macleod in the class!!
I would hate to have to fight the guy in short shorts in a sword fight haha.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Edit: Ok, can't trust tapatalk to make posts apparently :p

What I meant it to say was I agree with Ken, it seems harmless enough, and even if the lady there claims the movents are 'authentically from samurai sword training (which I rather doubt), there still doesn't seem to be an delusions as to actually training in an art.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of people practice a martial art for health and wellness, and from that standpoint, I liked it. None of them were cutting, however, but for what they were doing, it really didn't matter.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of people practice a martial art for health and wellness, and from that standpoint, I liked it. None of them were cutting, however, but for what they were doing, it really didn't matter.

I just added a 'health' class to my weekly workout; I'm now doing three nights a week in the dojo and one night doing something called 'NIA Movement'. It's supposed to have some TKD and Tai Chi and whatnot in it. From my point of view, yeah, no. But the workout is good for my flexibility, balance, and it burns calories. All good.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but would those spandex babes look that good wearing keikogi and hakama?

That is a "rhetorical question" to the non-JSA people here.
:)

Last edited:

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whilst completely acknowledging they aren't teaching an MA, I like how the reporter lady attending her very first class was one of the very few who had their hands the right way around on the tsuka ;)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whilst completely acknowledging they aren't teaching an MA, I like how the reporter lady attending her very first class was one of the very few who had their hands the right way around on the tsuka
But it's only the right way around if they were doing a Japanese sword art, which they clearly aren't. Who's to say what the right way around is for aerobics with a bokken. :)

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
But it's only the right way around if they were doing a Japanese sword art, which they clearly aren't. Who's to say what the right way around is for aerobics with a bokken. :)

Touché... I let the catch phrases "Samurai" and "authentic" influence my view of the clip :)

Latest Discussions