You afraid to die?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
My father taught me how to die. Brave, kind, last three months after his bypasses, amputations, and kidney removal were some of the best of my life. He became fearless, somehow manifested a fearless heart, let all the love he had show right on his sleeve. I used to wheel him out to the seawall and we would talk for hours, also stopping and talking to folks, strangers who would stop and were somehow drawn to him. His death was slow and painful, but also like the most noble movie you've ever seen or book you've ever read. Amazing and transcendant. Not too many drugs, he bore the pain as an obligation, not too much sadness, a little crying here and there mostly with a hug. When it was time to go, he fought like hell, not because he was afraid but because he said that is what you're supposed to do.
lonecoyote those are such poignant and inspiring thoughts I can add nothing your father must have been a wonderful and serene gentleman and I am certain badly missed. Thank you sincerely for sharing :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not really that afraid of my own death, but I am a little concerned that in the confusion of such a life ending event, and that because around 110 people die a minute, that someone else's God might accidently take me home with her/him/it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jenna said:
For me it is a fear of drowning or suffocation having been hospitalized many times with asthma

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

As a scuba diver, I can relate to this fear. I am terrified of drowning. While it would only last for a few short minutes, I believe those minutes would be increasingly agonizing and panic stricken, until you mercifully black out.

I love to dive so I keep doing it, but I am always very very conscious of the fact that I am visiting a world in which I do not truly belong. Under such circumstances, one must tread with care, and understand the possible ramifications.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Michael :)
I am certain you have been in dangerous situations before I wonder how you held it together maybe as some sort of a benchmark reaction for the curtain call?

Do you see yourself with the "famous last words" or maybe literally a few droll lines of gallows humour falling from your lips? Is that the sort of dignity you mean? I don' t know I cannot imagine....

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Well, if I found myself on the gallows, you can bet yer *** I'm gonna have a few lines of gallows humor. What more could I do?
icon12.gif

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
green meanie said:
The quote seemed very much in line with the question asked. If anything is gained from it I hope it's the acceptance that for better or worse this is the life we've been given and we should try to make the most of it. Sometimes we're dealt a crappy hand but what the hell, play it anyway -'cause playing and losing is still better than not getting to play at all. Regards.
:asian:
Oh yes it most certainly was in line with the question asked. But it is not maybe your personal answer to the question. But I do not want to push or be nosey so thank you again for that quote which is both relevant and useful.

With regard to playing that "crappy hand" and losing well it depends on how metaphorical you are being in your definition of the game.... in our daily game we play along no matter but I would be lying to you if I said I did not on occasion consider my hand so bad that forfeitting the game was certainly an option a bit like jumping before you are pushed and I would disagree with you and say there is no fun in a game of certain defeat. But it is a testament to cowardice that here I am having a civil conversation with you sir. Maybe these thoughts are the same for us all who am I to say.

Regards to you too

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
crushing said:
I'm not really that afraid of my own death, but I am a little concerned that in the confusion of such a life ending event, and that because around 110 people die a minute, that someone else's God might accidently take me home with her/him/it.
Hey Crushing :) That is such a cool answer :) You have a glib tongue but your humour redeems you!! Thank you :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Time is a healer for those left behind. It is longer for some than for others. My mom was diagnosed and had surgery and the could not identify it and closed it backup. The Sloan-Kettering Research facilty in New York ended up getting the data and determining it was Adrenil Cancer and they wanted her out there in a couple of weeks. She lived in lots of pain and suffereing for just over three years of treatments and procedures.

My Brother was younger than I and I think it took him longer than me to recover as he was upset when 7 years later My dad wanted to re-marry.

Dying at an old age would be nice if I know who I am and can get around still.

Given my stupidity from my younger years I think I am living on borrowed time now. ;) Which may explain why I am into fast cars and driving them as such. I have a cruiser bike but thinking about the Kawasaki Ninja ZX, only I have to pay off some bills first. :( ;)

Well since I have not burst into flames when I walk onto holy ground, I assume my Zen like beliefs will allow for further contemplation on a higher plane of existence. I said Zen Like, as I walk my own path, but do not find a religion that fits. Maybe have a beer or two with old friends, and discuss the meaning of existence. Maybe spend some more time re-incarnated back on earth not truly sure.

Although I would like to have an old fashioned Cremation with a huge fire and roaring logs. Think Norse or Celt like.

This way my atoms are returned into the enviroment to be used again, and not sealed in the ground in cement. (* Just my thoughts and as I said this is my path and thoughts not trying to say it is right or wrong or if other should follow or not, just making a statement. *)
Hey Rich :) Thank you again sir. Your poor mom had it rough and there is no fairness to a hard life that is ended amidst such pain. Yes I understand treatments and procedures and have seen the effects upon effects upon effects of chemo treatment and drugs to counteract imbalances caused by other drugs what a mess but for what it is worth my thoughts are with you thinking of your mother and thank you sincerely for sharing this.

And nothing wrong with fast cars there is freedom and liberation in speed but yes it can also be eternal liberation! And that Kawasaki Ninja will take you to eternal liberation faster than most. I know where you are coming from though I never feel so alive as when my back is pressed hard into the seat from pulling a few Gs and maybe that is a reflection of a lack of something more meaningful in my life that does not sound so far fetched to me.... and you? What is it you seek in flirting with such dangers?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
As a scuba diver, I can relate to this fear. I am terrified of drowning. While it would only last for a few short minutes, I believe those minutes would be increasingly agonizing and panic stricken, until you mercifully black out.

I love to dive so I keep doing it, but I am always very very conscious of the fact that I am visiting a world in which I do not truly belong. Under such circumstances, one must tread with care, and understand the possible ramifications.
hey Michael :) wow SCUBA?? Man is there anything you can NOT do?? ha! Yes I agree I could never go diving for that exact reason. And I almost watch with a phobia those free divers I think they are called or anyway the guys and gals who dive deep deep deep with no equipment and then sit at the bottom holding their breath that is SO incredible and terrifying too even thinking about it.

I can tell you the sensation of not being able to pull in a breath is terrifying a real "say your prayers girl" moment and there really is a magnetic sense of inevitability drawing you into it that is SO hard to fight no joke it is like I cannot fight this I have no weapons. This is how I know I will be so scared of dying having danced around its edges for many years. But still for many, these things give a perspective on the positive things in their lives and focus down attentions to what is REALLY important and to where the priorities should be and so there is light from darkness and it is all you truly intelligent people who can see this.

Thank you again
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Rich :) Thank you again sir. Your poor mom had it rough and there is no fairness to a hard life that is ended amidst such pain. Yes I understand treatments and procedures and have seen the effects upon effects upon effects of chemo treatment and drugs to counteract imbalances caused by other drugs what a mess but for what it is worth my thoughts are with you thinking of your mother and thank you sincerely for sharing this.

And nothing wrong with fast cars there is freedom and liberation in speed but yes it can also be eternal liberation! And that Kawasaki Ninja will take you to eternal liberation faster than most. I know where you are coming from though I never feel so alive as when my back is pressed hard into the seat from pulling a few Gs and maybe that is a reflection of a lack of something more meaningful in my life that does not sound so far fetched to me.... and you? What is it you seek in flirting with such dangers?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

What is it you seek in flirting with such dangers?

A test of my skills and myself.

I also was an adrenaline Junky for a while when I was younger and much more stupid than I am today. Putting myself into spots to see if I could get out, and also enjoying the rush. So I do not think the speed is an issue of the rush as it can be, but having been there before, I do not think that is it.

It may have to do with Control. Can I keep it under control can I push it the limit of my skills and of the capabilities fo the vehicle. There are bikes and Cars out that I cannot dive to the max, as I do not have access to clsoed tracks for that. My access to clsoed tracks has max speed limits of 100 MPH which is good for most days. Take a car out and run a few laps, and I feel much better. :D ;)

You?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always tried to live each day as if it was my last (or the loved ones around me). I tell my wife I love her each morning before my ride to work and before we go to sleep. It has never lost any meaning for me. I want to always know I was able to tell her I loved her one last time.

I have tried to make sure I have done my best to help my friends and sometimes even strangers. I truly believe there is a better place above and all my friends and family will always be in my heart.

Knowing I was able to bring a smile to someone's face, a laugh to someone crying, or a shoulder to someone in need; helps me accept anything life or death brings my way.

Thanks for starting the thread. Makes you stop and think.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im 19 i dont think about dieing...im 10ft tall and bullet proof!

umm i dont think im scared of dieing i mean i dunno belive im gonna go to heaven so whats so bad about that?

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Nomad :)
You are quite correct fear serves no purpose whether in a fight or when facing death. Fear however has a way of breaking any fences you might put up to keep it under control don' t you think?

Only if you let it. I'm not talking about putting up a wall to deny it, I'm talking about giving it some serious contemplation and coming to grips with the fact that it really could happen at any time, and you may have no say in the matter.

Jenna said:
Ahh, live each day as if it is your last. I love this sentiment and I wish I could abide by it would I be here doing what I am doing all the mundane stuff or would I be off exploring the world exploring myself seeking knowledge and enlightenment and fun and thrill that would be great but like most of us I do not do these things or live my life as if tomorrow I die. And the reason? I do not believe I will die tomorrow. I almost WISH for a crash believe me and god forgive me for it but I have sat on a plane and wished forit to come down and to survive it because aircrash survivors must have a calmness and a sense of no fear that few of us will ever have. Odd maybe but well....

But yes the live each day as though it were your last is a nice thought but maybe not workable for most of us.

The mundane (work, boredom, traffic, tv, etc.) does have a way of intruding on what's really important, doesn't it? I guess what I mean is to try not to have any major regrets about something you have been meaning to do/say/etc.

Jenna said:
oh btw are you a nomad with a direction or are you wandering aimless like Kane in Kung Fu?

LOL... great question! I actually took the nickname Nomad from my days in university, when it was my pen-name for a humorous and off-color campus publication. At the time, I was definitely wandering, sometimes aimlessly, sometimes with a goal. I hope that in the years since, I've found some worthy paths (martial and otherwise) that have helped to define my "direction" in life.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a Christian abd believe in heaven and an afterlife and such...I'm not afraid to die for myself but I know if I died it would make life very difficult on a practical matter (to say nothing of emotional) for my wife and kids...I don't fear my death, I fear failing my family

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not afraid to die, but I am afraid of dying in certain ways. Two of my grandparents died slowly, of age related illnesses - one of emphysema and Parkinson's, and one after 10 years of slow decline following a series of strokes. One lived to 94, was sick for 3 days (pnuemonia), and died in her sleep - which sounds pretty good. The remaining grandparent is still alive at 96, but is deaf, nearly blind, incontinent... he is existing, not living, as his body slowly gives out, although his mind is still good. Any kind of long, lingering illness, especially with physical debilitation, is a thought that scares me. It's not the death, it's the method of dying that I am worried about.

From my father's bridge club (where, at 71, he's one of the young'uns): "When it comes my time to die, I want to go peacefully, in my sleep... not screaming in fear like his passengers."

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am afraid to die. My fear of death puts my seat belt around my lap. My fear of death makes me put a helmet on when I ski or ride a bike. My fear of death makes me put my PFD on when I am canoeing.

I'm afraid of the regret that everyone in my life would feel. I'm afraid of the "thought" of the pain they would feel. My hope is that when I die, I will be old enough that people will expect it and the parting will not be so bitter.

I think that everyone, at some level, is afraid to die. It's a natural instinct that preserves life. Would our species have lasted this long without this inborn fear? Probably not. And I think that humans know this, instinctually. Think about how we view people who don't fear death?Nuts. Crackpots. Crazies. Psychos. You name it.

Is it possible to override this instinct? Yes. But even then, people are still afraid and only their conditioning allows them to overcome that fear.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From a spiritual perspective, I'm afraid of death because I don't believe in God. I do not believe in Heaven or Hell or Souls. I think that when we die our consciousness melts into disorder. The energy that enervated my being is conserved and transformed into other forms to be used by other life forms in the physical web. It is not taken and preserved outside of our physical universe and it no longer contains any information about me.

When I die, I will be gone...forever. Entropy will take the unique circumstance that is me and undo it. As it will undo every single thing that I do in this universe, from my genetic line, to anything I leave behind, Time will erase everything.

With that in mind, one can see that I am in no hurry to die. Every single conscious moment is unique and precious and wasting a single one of this is utter foolishness. Heaven needs to happen in the "hear and now" or it will never happen at all, IMO.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regardless of my spiritual beliefs, I do not fear death. Observation has shown, time and time again, that nothing really begins or ends. My life has been a continuous spectrum of experience, one thing moving softly (well, sometimes harshly) into the next. I have seen nothing that supports the perception that all ends with death; therefor, it holds no fear for me. It is simply another move to another place.

Lao-tzu wrote:
"Once you've found the mother,
thereby you know the child.
Once you know the child,
thereby you know the mother,
not perishing though the body die."
--Tao Te Ching 52, Thomas Cleary translation

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do not fear death for I know that all must die sometime. It is my hope that when I do, my death will be meaningful and have purpose. I do wonder at times, what legacy have I created? I see my legacy already with my family, but what of my friends and others I associate? :idunno:

I suppose that is all that matters--my family and loved ones will have me within their hearts. Whether it extends to others with similar thoughts, I guess I won't know while I'm alive.

- Ceicei

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
im 19 i dont think about dieing...im 10ft tall and bullet proof!

umm i dont think im scared of dieing i mean i dunno belive im gonna go to heaven so whats so bad about that?

That's the spirit girl! Hang on to that for as long as you can. :asian:

Latest Discussions