Yemeni child bride dies of internal bleeding

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They don't condone it. They HAVE, however, systematically covered up a LOT of cases of it. But where and when proof can be found that it has happened I believe that there's been prosecution resulting, in many cases, in the "church" having to pay a LOT of money and be called to task for how they've dealt with it, or sadly....haven't.

So..... again, this is an apples to oranges comparison. Not applicable.

Your Brother
John
Too true. What's happening in the Catholic church (and others I'd wager) is patently illegal and opens the offenders up to prosecution. What's going on in Yemen is still considered legal and even the norm. The church offenses aren't condoned they are condemned by the very institution. No one in the church is arguing that it's tradition.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They don't condone it. They HAVE, however, systematically covered up a LOT of cases of it. But where and when proof can be found that it has happened I believe that there's been prosecution resulting, in many cases, in the "church" having to pay a LOT of money and be called to task for how they've dealt with it, or sadly....haven't.

So..... again, this is an apples to oranges comparison. Not applicable.

Your Brother
John

There have been a few in positions of power that have covered up a lot, it looks like. But the rank and file priests and laity do not condone that at all.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John, how do you know what they "condone".
When someone works to "systematically" cover something like this up to benefit their own interests, then this is just as bad as"condoning" it as you put it.

Think about it, if someone were to do this to someone you love, what would it matter that they "paid" you afterwords to try and shut you up, what would the difference be?
Exactly, there wouldn't be one.

The catcholic church had commited atrocities like this for centuries, (yes there is proof) but we all turn a blind eye to this? And condemn others of isolated cases in their countries.

Let's get it straight what happened here is a terrble criminal act and it disgusts me as much as you, it's just that we should show the same disgust wherever it occurs, not cover it up or make excuses.

Pedophilia is the same in any country and that isn't apples to oranges.

When a religious institution goes out of it's way to protect pedophiles for it's own interests, and they are not persecuted because they are a religion, well that's just as bad as a country that condones pedophilia.

Especially when entire countries have been turning a blind eye to the catholic church for condoning and protecting pedophiles for so long and entire countries have done nothing until now.

Sounds like the same ***** to me.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Too true. What's happening in the Catholic church (and others I'd wager) is patently illegal and opens the offenders up to prosecution. What's going on in Yemen is still considered legal and even the norm. The church offenses aren't condoned they are condemned by the very institution. No one in the church is arguing that it's tradition.

It's gone up all the way to the Pope, in other words even the highest officials knew about it and chose to turn a blind eye, (traditionally) they have been doing this for a very long time, it's nothing new.
But we choose to not old the church responsible for aiding pedophiles continue their crimes by spreading them around.

It HAS NOT opened up the offenders to prosecution in the past but hid and moved them around, this ha been proven and yet the church is not held accountable? Why not? What ecuse can we come up to for them?

They have not been condemned by the "very" institution as you put it up until they were forced to toprotect their own a****.

They don't have to argue that it's a tradition, but they have traditionally done it. "Centuries" is a long time, enough to say traditionally, that's what they did.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it were "condoned" there'd be no need for a cover up. The case in Yemen is a case of something atrocious being openly accepted. The cases in the church are being dealt with more aggressively with each passing year. I'm not a catholic so I've no reason to sit and argue about the merits (or lack there of) of the church. As was stated earlier, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Let's get back to the discussion of what's going on in Yemen in this thread and leave the catholic church to the threads here dedicated to the catholic church.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
If it were "condoned" there'd be no need for a cover up. The case in Yemen is a case of something atrocious being openly accepted. The cases in the church are being dealt with more aggressively with each passing year. I'm not a catholic so I've no reason to sit and argue about the merits (or lack there of) of the church. As was stated earlier, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Let's get back to the discussion of what's going on in Yemen in this thread and leave the catholic church to the threads here dedicated to the catholic church.

The fact that they are covering it up is even worse than condoning it.
Think about it for a second, they KNOW how heinous it is and how it would make them look and they condone it's continuation and keep it going on, thus aiding it and helping to continue this ugly tradition.
Face it, it's just as bad as condoning it.
The fact hat they have been "Appearing" as they are dealing with it more aggressively is because they no longer have a choice, if it were up to them, it would still be going on. They have to now deal with it becasue they have been exposed.
I'm not comparing anything, I'm just stating the fact that this is just as bad as what we are all accusing them of. It's easy to point the finger but that finger has to be pointed wherever this type of crime exists.

I am simply replying to what you have said, and further clarifying that you were not only wrong in your assertion that the catholic church should get a pass, but, "hey look at them over there," but also stating my opinion as to why I feel that this is pertinent to this discussion.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
The comparison between this tragedy in Yemen and the horrible acts of a exceedingly small minority of Catholic priests is an absolute 'apples to oranges' comparison. No connection other that they're both aweful. Condoning horrible things is very bad. Covering up the existance of horrible things instead of addressing them and striving to rid them from your ranks is also very bad. That's all that connects those things. "America" isn't condoning what's going on in these cases brought against Catholic clergy, in fact, there are govt. officials (DA & assistants) looking into and/or prosecuting them all. Our culture is doing what it can to prevent, address and punish on these issues.....
opposite of condoning or passing it off as "custom" or "tradition".

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions