Yemeni child bride dies of internal bleeding

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You said it man. There's no comparing legal practices in one countries to crimes in another, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison at all. In fact if anything is shows a misunderstanding of what's a crime or what's not.
In Iran, the government executes homosexuals, in Saudi Arabia, they are about to execute a "sorcerer" both practices are legal, and yet, anywhere in the civilized world, BOTH would, and should be condemned.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful. Please remain on the original topic.

jks9199
Sr. Moderator

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you even need that much civilization to see when you are hurting another person. I don't even think you need much civilization to know that a girl of 12 is not even physically mature let alone mentally.
Barbarianism and such ways will actually disguise themselves as culture and civilization. That is why it angers us to hear about this. Naturally, we know that it's all ********. It is hard to even talk about it in a civilized way because it's simply disgusting that people can get off with **** like this. The truth is that this is probably the result of a greedy and harmfull male oriented society.

I always say, you can be raised by wolves or cats, and you'll be like a savage animal. But noone will kill your soul and teach you to hurtfully betray your own heart like ignorant people do. In many ways, you'd be better off if the wolves take you in.

j

Last edited:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
No breaks. One society which signally and grotesquely fails to protect its young people has no business looking down upon another.

To speak as if we were looking at anything like "100% protection against crime" in the USA is what is ridiculous..... how many more examples does one need of anything from released pederasts to reassigned Father Bill with happy fingers?

A society which, to such a signal extent, has lost the will to protect itself has no business sneering at other lands.

wrong.
Our society does QUITE a bit to strive to protect the young. It isn't perfect, there's no way to make is so that NO children get molested/killed. THAT issue lies at the evil in the heart of man, and that knows NO boundaries, cultural / political / geographical...etc. Children are easy prey for those vile enough to prey on them, in our land, Yemen, France.......everywhere.

But our society does NOT condone a practice like this one that resulted in the death of this young CHILD. Sorry, but the comparison you're trying to create falls FAR short and is void of merit.

Our society has in NO way lost the will to protect itself or it's young. Not even close. We do NOT endorse social institutions that lead directly to a child being sexually abused and killed.... not like Yemen.
sorry if that offends you, but there's no avoiding the truth of it.

Your Brother
John

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From Wiki
Yemen

"Yemen is full of child brides. Roughly half of Yemeni girls are married before 18, some as young as eight."[20] Until recently, Yemeni law set the minimum age for marriage at 15. But tribal customs and interpretations of Islam often trump the law. In practice, "Yemeni law allows girls of any age to wed, but it forbids sex with them until the indefinite time they’re 'suitable for sexual intercourse.'"[20] In 1999, the minimum marriage age of fifteen for women, rarely enforced, was abolished; the onset of puberty, interpreted by conservatives to be at the age of nine, was set as a requirement for consummation of marriage.[21]
In April 2008, the case of Nujood Ali, a 10 year-old girl who successfully obtained a divorce, sparked headlines around the world, and prompted calls to raise the legal age for marriage to 18.[22] Later in 2008, the Supreme Council for Motherhood and Childhood proposed to define the minimum age for marriage at 18 years. The law was passed in April 2009, with the age voted for as 17. But the law was dropped the following day following manouvers by opposing parliamentarians. Negotiations to pass the legislation continue.[23] Meantime, Yemenis inspired by Nujood's efforts continue to push for change, with Nujood herself involved in at least one rally.[24] And one awareness campaign claims to have prevented some early marriages in the Yemen governate of Amran.[25]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage#Yemen

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Iran, the government executes homosexuals, in Saudi Arabia, they are about to execute a "sorcerer" both practices are legal, and yet, anywhere in the civilized world, BOTH would, and should be condemned.

But are the people who live there ok with it or are they abhorred at the practice? An unjust law can be changed.

I think homosexuals should be given the right to marry, not everyone thinks that way. Many laws and practices are changed over time, maybe this will be this countries wake up call. Till then it's still on the books there and it's their own citizens who have the power to do anything about it.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But are the people who live there ok with it or are they abhorred at the practice? An unjust law can be changed.

I think homosexuals should be given the right to marry, not everyone thinks that way. Many laws and practices are changed over time, maybe this will be this countries wake up call. Till then it's still on the books there and it's their own citizens who have the power to do anything about it.
I need a little clarification on this post, Omar. Are you saying that, no matter how horrific the practice may be to us, if the people in the area are ok with it we should just accept it as local custom?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I need a little clarification on this post, Omar. Are you saying that, no matter how horrific the practice may be to us, if the people in the area are ok with it we should just accept it as local custom?
what I got from Omar's statement is that perhaps there's enough people in Yemen who are just as disgusted with this practice w/in their land/culture as we're expressing here and that it can be overturned after enough outcry.

Your Brother
John

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, John. From reading one of Bob's postings, legislation was passed to make the minimum age for marriage 17 but was overturned one day later by parlimintary manuevering of the conservative extremists in the government. Sounds like it's gonna take more than a law change to fix the situation.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
what I got from Omar's statement is that perhaps there's enough people in Yemen who are just as disgusted with this practice w/in their land/culture as we're expressing here and that it can be overturned after enough outcry.

Your Brother
John

Exactly. If they do something about it then that's great, but maybe they accept this behavior. Or maybe they don't have the political system where they can change things. Just like gay marriage is slowly making it's way around the states.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, John. From reading one of Bob's postings, legislation was passed to make the minimum age for marriage 17 but was overturned one day later by parlimintary manuevering of the conservative extremists in the government. Sounds like it's gonna take more than a law change to fix the situation.
Yes!
Unfortunately, passing a law is one thing....
enforcing it.... that's quite another.

Your Brother
John

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm disgusted by the situation, however, it is up to the people there to demand and force change. I can protest all I want, doesn't matter. Not my country, not my people, not my problem. Cold? Yes. But what else can I do? Demand Obama send in the marines? The Yemeni need to desire this change and make it happen. Otherwise, it's moot.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most people in the country are illiterate tribesmen, scattered all over the place. They’ve been living their lives the same way for millennium. Change almost always comes from within the cities and the educated middle class.
If you really want change in the world develop an educated middle class.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder how much more wretched our species can get. then, sadly, someone shows me.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
We do NOT endorse social institutions that lead directly to a child being sexually abused and killed.... not like Yemen.
Brother, what about the catholic church?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother, what about the catholic church?
They don't condone it. They HAVE, however, systematically covered up a LOT of cases of it. But where and when proof can be found that it has happened I believe that there's been prosecution resulting, in many cases, in the "church" having to pay a LOT of money and be called to task for how they've dealt with it, or sadly....haven't.

So..... again, this is an apples to oranges comparison. Not applicable.

Your Brother
John