Xtreme Martial Arts

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
achilles said:
I honestly thought that the whole XMA thing was just a new advertising stunt to sell uniforms.
:lol:

I guess the gold lame gi looks a lot better when someone's wearing it while twirling a staff around or ...yuck...spitting on the floor before performing.

(I was really surprised with that - that the judges wouldn't be bothered by that.)

achilles

Green Belt
Reaction score
Who needs manners (or for that matter, real self-defense skills) when you've got attitude, baditude, spirit and a snazzy uniform!

I think much of it is analogous to figure skating in a hockey game. Sure, its visually impressive and takes talent, but what does it have to do with hockey?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kind funny, since it's being pushes as a way to sign up teenagers, show how to spit and act out thier badattide.
So, you have the catagory of people most likely to question the martial arts, teenagers, teach something as trifle as XMA and Boom Goes The Dynamite!! You've created a serious of punchlines about the martial arts.
BTW - Please don't call it a Uniform, since it has none of the functionality, refer to as 'The Costume'

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
:lol:

I guess the gold lame gi looks a lot better when someone's wearing it while twirling a staff around or ...yuck...spitting on the floor before performing.

(I was really surprised with that - that the judges wouldn't be bothered by that.)

I saw an adult do the WWE Triple H spit water into the air thing before he started his form. There is a reason I refuse to judge those divisions.

Lamont

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just so happy to see the word "badditude" being used.

It gives me warm fuzzies. :D

achilles

Green Belt
Reaction score
What function does a uniform have? Judo and JiuJitsu Gi are used for gripping, but in general what functions, other social functions, do uniforms have?

On a side note, if one of my students spit on the floor, he would be given the ultimatum of cleaning it up himself and swearing to never do it again or he would be forced to leave. I don't even let people use their mouths to help attach velcro straps on equipment.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how your Gi snaps is part of it, if the top stays closed without having to tug it closed, during a workout
Even Karate needs a durable Gi

D

Drifter

achilles said:
On a side note, if one of my students spit on the floor, he would be given the ultimatum of cleaning it up himself and swearing to never do it again or he would be forced to leave.
:roflmao:

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while, no disrespect meant. Just the way it sounded made me bust up laughing. Thank you very much!

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah yes, Xtreme Martial art programs/tv/cable, need extreme graphics, fx, and uniforms.............

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I loved those "costumes"...
Reminds me of something I saw in some 70's movie about the future and how we would al be wearing that sort of stuff in the 21st century...
So now the martial arts have gone from being the produce of the ancient orient to some 70's movie spin-off...
Now that's what I call progress.:rolleyes:

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Reminds me of something I saw in some 70's movie about the future and how we would al be wearing that sort of stuff in the 21st century...
So now the martial arts have gone from being the produce of the ancient orient to some 70's movie spin-off...
Hmmnnn, that is where "Century" ma supplies got its name?

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
There was the one guy who I thought was wearing some southern Chinese type Kung-Fu uniform. Then it occured to me he was just dressed like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was the one guy who I thought was wearing some southern Chinese type Kung-Fu uniform. Then it occured to me he was just dressed like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat.Today 06:56 AM

Yea they are really gearing towards marketing and trying to bring that movie image to life, that way all childern and movie goers have a clue to what they ar doing.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
There was the one guy who I thought was wearing some southern Chinese type Kung-Fu uniform. Then it occured to me he was just dressed like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat.Today 06:56 AM

Yea they are really gearing towards marketing and trying to bring that movie image to life, that way all childern and movie goers have a clue to what they ar doing.

Wearing uniforms that are neither functional nor traditional seems vane to me. To me, Martial Arts are about humility not vanity.

achilles

Green Belt
Reaction score
You guys are way off the mark. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to drive my hover car to chi ball and spirit yell contest. We fight to the death... as in the first to to touch the other with some wicked looking dipped foam sparring equipment.

Honestly, martial artists let their fantasies get in the way of their better judgement frequently.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
achilles said:
You guys are way off the mark. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to drive my hover car to chi ball and spirit yell contest. We fight to the death... as in the first to to touch the other with some wicked looking dipped foam sparring equipment.

Honestly, martial artists let their fantasies get in the way of their better judgement frequently.
Sad but true, and this TV show is just evidence of the fact.

Latest Discussions