Xtreme Martial Arts

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OMG...a special on Discovery channel about the martial arts and the announcer stating how these point sparers have the killer instinct...among other stuff on there....P_L_E_A_S_E....anyone else has anything to add?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
OMG...a special on Discovery channel about the martial arts and the announcer stating how these point sparers have the killer instinct...among other stuff on there....P_L_E_A_S_E....anyone else has anything to add?
:lol: Ha ha ha ha ha, well from an announcer's point of view, in an effort to sensationalize, there must have been a tendency to exaggerate I think. If it's the same show that I'm thinking of I saw it awhile ago and actually thought some of it was interesting (like when they showed the muscles used in certain fighting situations), but your point on the point sparers is well taken.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
:lol: Ha ha ha ha ha, well from an announcer's point of view, in an effort to sensationalize, there must have been a tendency to exaggerate I think. If it's the same show that I'm thinking of I saw it awhile ago and actually thought some of it was interesting (like when they showed the muscles used in certain fighting situations), but your point on the point sparers is well taken.
yeah the special body FZ was interesting for the beginner or enteratinament aspect of it

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
yeah the special body FZ was interesting for the beginner or enteratinament aspect of it
I just remember that part was kewl to watch.:cool: Did I read a post of yours somewhere that you have 40 years of experience in martial arts? I'll be old by that time LOL so maybe I'll always be a bit of a beginner, and so to me it was entertaining. I was curious about the people who compete in the elaborate forms competitions. It's very different from what I learn, and very acrobatic - I did wonder who really fights like that?, but it was fun to watch their demos. See how nervous the one guy they featured got?

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes close to 40 years....my name 47MartialMan reflects my age...a year ago...I am now 48 and have been training since 9-1/2. I have went through 8 styles/systems and had about 11 instructors. Many are gone...moved or deceased. Only a few remain.

I am no longer-hardly intriqued by the "entertainment" of it...

Many experiences would have me change certain things has i hind sight or a way to do it over. But, the way of it, I am still a martial artist.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nobody fights like that they woulg be hurt or killed by someone with the experience of a real fighter. Try and do a 540 roundhouse see how fast someone would put you on the floor. Whats next baby's that are killing machines like the one in Baby Genous.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It may of entertained some, but I was hoping there might actually be something of value in it, instead all it did was "p" me off, don't get me started, I get wound up just thinking about it...

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
It may of entertained some, but I was hoping there might actually be something of value in it, instead all it did was "p" me off, don't get me started, I get wound up just thinking about it...
But I WANT (not shouting-emphasizing) to get you started..."fire away"...

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno, I quite enjoy watching shows like this. Just like I enjoy watching the acrobatics when the olympics is on. It's a display of athletic excellence, if not self defense or fighting skills.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, Adept, it is a show of athletic skill, but nothing more, I love to watch the gymnastics in the olympics, the things they can do with the human body are incredible, but I wouldn't expect them to necessarily be able to fight just because they can jump around in the air / stand on their hands etc.

Martial man, the thing about it that really gets my goat is that it just serves to perpetuate the public myths about martial arts, by that I mean a lot of people already believe that martial arts is nothing more than they saw in the latest Jackie Chan movie or The Matrix or whatever.
This is why there are people who walk around thinking they are an expert on the composition of the martial arts because they have seen TV shows or films like this, and thereby formulate the opinion that "all that kung fu stuff doesn't really work" or "you would never be able to do that" etc (I'm sure you know what I mean)
One of the parts of that show I really "love" is the demonstration of Mike Chat's fantastic hard body techniques, sorry but anybody who has ever trained with any amount of contact knows full well that when struck they should exhale and tense their muscles, if they didn't know it to start with they will figure it out soon enough...
As regards the SFX I thought it was quite interesting to see science applied to the martial arts with reference to muscle structure etc. but again, anyone who has ever trained knows how it FEELS for themselves, they don't need to see a computer generated image telling them what they are doing.
I also tought that the Wu-Shu styled 2 man weapons sets were beautiful to watch, and I am one of the supporters of sets / forms etc, but it is still just a drill, and not real life application.
Another favourite of mine is the guy doing the XMA Katana form, yeah it does look impressive that a guy can throw a Katana up in the air and catch it after doing a triple tucked back somersault or whatever, but I am pretty sure that were he ever to be in a sword fight (as unlikely as it is in this day and age...) somebody would be hacking him to pieces whilst he didn't have his sword in his hand to defend himself, I could probably think of a whole lot more to criticise about the show, but I havn't seen it for a while (thankfully:rolleyes: ), and I know that it is easy to criticise that with which we are unfamiliar, but that is just not what martial arts are about to me, everyone gets into the martial arts for their own reasons, and that is their choice, but the media does nothing to represent the other side of the martial arts, because that doesn't sell, and they are, after all businesses...

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually i would like to see the guy try it with a sharp blade!!

Again, why are'nt the martial arts respected as a fighting art? Watch this show

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know, after watching that guy with the katana, I don't think I would want to try and get near him if he had one. I have no idea what kind of actual combat/self defence training he has had with it, but just the amount of control he has over the blade is quite impressive to me.

I was sitting and watching the show last night with a bunch of non-martial artists, and they were a lot more impressed with most of the stuff on it than I was. I did like it though. The two person Wu-Shu type demos and the computer FX were sweet.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed in that program, figuing it would be alot more of the CG tech stuff, and alot less of the tourney fighting story.

There was a show on the Discovery Times channel called Martial Arts - The Real Story that dealt alot more with the arts themselves, and covered a broad range of styles. Unfortunately it's downfall was that they tried to cover too much ground, so they couldn't go too in-depth with the material. Still, I would recommend that show if you can catch it on a rerun.

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Actually i would like to see the guy try it with a sharp blade!!

Again, why are'nt the martial arts respected as a fighting art? Watch this show
I guess we all post like a couple of mixed-matched nuts and bolts-"cross-threading"

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
OMG that show was such a pile. He's doing forms and what do they show? a shot of people watching. I can react on my own thanks I don't need a guide as to how to react, lol. The editing is so abnoxious, and so hollywood. I would much rather watch an instructional video done on a VHS camera from 1989 than that glitzy crap.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to get all of my instructors into a big comfortable TV room, and record what they say while watching. My own Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I want to get all of my instructors into a big comfortable TV room, and record what they say while watching. My own Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Martial Science Theater 3000, awesome. I'd be interested in seeing the host segments ;)

Hai Keeba!

OP

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
OMG...i thought i was the only insane MST fan...

Latest Discussions