Xie Bu stance purpose

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Resting Stance or "Xie Bu" features occasionally in traditional Chinese Arts (most notably in the Shaolin 5 stance form - "Wu Bu Quan") and I'm struggling to find either an application for it, or a situation where it is better for training/conditioning than the other stances like horse stance (Ma Bu) or upper crane stance (Du li Bu).

upload_2017-4-10_22-25-20.jpeg

I'm putting this in the general forum in case there are other non-chinese arts that use the stance. If anyone has any ideas I would be very interested to hear them. Why does this stance exist?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
capoeira has a similar stance. you pump out a round kick from it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's the stance I think it is (based on pictures from Google images), I was taught that it is meant as a transition stance; you wouldn't throw anything from it, but use it to switch between stance, or switch targets.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would very much like to see that. Does Capoeira have a particular name for the stance?

Probably. Stuffed if I know what it is called though.

Sort of this concept. But a bit simpler.

Last edited:
OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's the stance I think it is (based on pictures from Google images), I was taught that it is meant as a transition stance; you wouldn't throw anything from it, but use it to switch between stance, or switch targets.

That would make more sense, thanks.

Latest Discussions